Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Britain rejects US request to use UK bases

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,745 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

The Guardian said:

Britain has rebuffed US pleas to use military bases in the UK to support the build-up of forces in the Gulf, citing secret legal advice which states that any pre-emptive strike on Iran could be in breach of international law.

The Guardian has been told that US diplomats have also lobbied for the use of British bases in Cyprus, and for permission to fly from US bases on Ascension Island in the Atlantic and Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean, both of which are British territories.

The US approaches are part of contingency planning over the nuclear standoff with Tehran, but British ministers have so far reacted coolly. They have pointed US officials to legal advice drafted by the attorney general's office which has been circulated to Downing Street, the Foreign Office and the Ministry of Defence.

Read more

The poodle snarling?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,137 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

Mr. Cameroon anticipating the result of the Election?  that the Aggressive Military Force gunslinger will hang his stetson up in the Oval office*?

* Mr. Romney might not actually wear a Stetson, but it's a metaphor or allegory

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,745 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

View Post747400, on 25 October 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

Mr. Cameroon anticipating the result of the Election?  that the Aggressive Military Force gunslinger will hang his stetson up in the Oval office*?

The other possibility is that Mr. Cameron is more pan-European than admitted.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 25 October 2012 - 07:30 PM, said:

The poodle snarling?

We don't want any more unnecessary wars.
It's really that simple.
No more phoney WMD, no more lies to drag us into illegal wars.

No more lies about 'liberation', no more 'shock and awe'.

No more, no way, no thanks.

At the moment we don't see Iran as the threat that some do. If that changes then we will revisit the decision, but I hope that we will only ever again go to war with a heavy heart and as a last resort.

#5    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

View Post747400, on 25 October 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

Cameron knows he can't win an election by dragging us into another ill advised foreign adventure.
He's not Thatcher, and Iran isn't the Falklands.

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,194 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 25 October 2012 - 07:30 PM, said:

The poodle snarling?
More the bulldog rousing from it's stupor.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#7    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,036 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

glad to hear it - good for them!

#8    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,950 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

People might have seen Israeli prime minister at the UN the other day with his diagram of a bomb and the drawing of a red line. now people are suspecting a strike on Iran sometime in the spring.

The UK stance is reasonable, we'll only act with UN backing. nothing more to it really, its that simple and i doubt the US will act without UN backing. - my thoughts are the Israelis will go it alone with a preemptive strike. like they did with Saddam and his nuclear program. we could see Israel attack Iran and Turkey move on Syria,  

http://video.google....792449224502914

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#9    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 11,732 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

in the OP link it says that no FORMAL request has been made....so I'm guessing this is just political maneuvering...

aimed at the British Audience.

?

also from the OP link...

The situation reflects the lack of appetite within Whitehall for the UK to be drawn into any conflict, though the Royal Navy has a large presence in the Gulf in case the ongoing diplomatic efforts fail.
The navy has up to 10 ships in the region, including a nuclear-powered submarine. Its counter-mine vessels are on permanent rotation to help ensure that the strategically important shipping lanes through the Strait of Hormuz remain open.
The Guardian has been told that a British military delegation with a strong navy contingent flew to US Central Command headquarters in Tampa, Florida, earlier this summer to run through a range of contingency plans with US planners.

Again...no formal request has been made..re the bases....so Britain hasn't actually rejected the request..?

#10    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,745 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

View Postbee, on 26 October 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

in the OP link it says that no FORMAL request has been made....so I'm guessing this is just political maneuvering...

aimed at the British Audience.

?

also from the OP link...

Again...no formal request has been made..re the bases....so Britain hasn't actually rejected the request..?

There are many request forms, formal is when there is an exchange of diplomatic notes, any thing below that level, including a phone call from the prezz is informal.

about me

#11    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

View PostAtlantia, on 25 October 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

We don't want any more unnecessary wars.
It's really that simple.
No more phoney WMD, no more lies to drag us into illegal wars.

No more lies about 'liberation', no more 'shock and awe'.

No more, no way, no thanks.

At the moment we don't see Iran as the threat that some do. If that changes then we will revisit the decision, but I hope that we will only ever again go to war with a heavy heart and as a last resort.

Well said, I am surprised at Cameron though, he liked to get his nose right up there when he can. Maybe he was actually hurt by Obama saying he liked the French Prime Minister more. LOL

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#12    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,765 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

When the time is ripe Israel will do what they feel must be done.  As her ally the US will help - at least I think Obama will.  With him one cannot be sure of anything except that he'll spend more money.  The other western countries may be punished by a "righteously" angry Islamic Iran.  But then, they may get "punished " anyway just for being infidels so what difference does it make?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#13    zenfahr

zenfahr

Psychic Spy

• 1,600 posts
  • Location:Center of my universe.... which is located in a bunker in New Mexico.

• "The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn from the Crow"
    -Nobody

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

View Postand then, on 26 October 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

When the time is ripe Israel will do what they feel must be done.  As her ally the US will help - at least I think Obama will.  With him one cannot be sure of anything except that he'll spend more money.  The other western countries may be punished by a "righteously" angry Islamic Iran.  But then, they may get "punished " anyway just for being infidels so what difference does it make?
I think it better that we let Israel stand alone.

.....Im NOT here.....

My Art Gallery

#14    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,800 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

Didn't Cameroon state this before he became PM?  I sure he said Britain was not going to be dragged into wars all around the globe.

Posted Image

#15    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• 2,094 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

Given Cameron's track record for U-turns, I wouldn't hold my breath that he doesn't ultimately follow Thatcher on this matter.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users