Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'Liking' Facebook virals makes scammers rich

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,800 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

Facebook users who've clicked viral links such as 'Click This if You Hate Cancer' could be in for a nasty surprise.

The links - and others such as 'click this picture and see what happens' do nothing except make cyber-scammers rich.

Once the pages have collected huge numbers of 'Likes', they are then sold, for cash, to other businesses who use them to make their page appear popular.

A blog post by Daylan Pearce, a search-engine expert at Next Digital in Melbourne, explains how the nonsense posts scam works - and shows how the pages are sold on.

Full story

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#2    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,032 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

This is why Facebook is stupid.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#3    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,656 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

Still isn't as bad as the people who put their whole lives up on facebook, including the happenings of people they know/family, and make dumb comment after comment for attention.

#4    CuriousGreek

CuriousGreek

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• Dang!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

I've never liked (not even clicked on) pages, for which i've seen recommendations, such as ''click here''...i'll like whatever i want to, let alone i was always finding those pages suspicious..!

Αν ανάμεσα σ’ όλον τον κόσμο,
νιώθεις πως δεν υπάρχουνε λύσεις,
τότε μόνο δυο μάτια μπορούνε,
να σε κάνουν να θέλεις να ζήσεις.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users