Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is Genetic Engineering A Sin?

genetic engineering

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    3.0

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

Is gentic engineering a sin?

"Keep ye my laws.  Thou shalt not make thy cattle to gender with beasts of any other kind.  Thou shalt not sow thy field with different seeds.  Thou shalt not wear a garment that is woven of two sorts."  (Leviticus 19:19) Douay - Rheims

This quote from the Leviticus deals with mixing of different kinds.  Whether its animals, plants or cloth.  Does not this forbid the creation of new animal or plant species, by forcing them to breed together (ie genetic engineering)? For modern science wouldn't this apply to genetically engineering new animals or plants.  We are already well past experimenting in this area genetically!

#2    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,577 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Christians don't even follow this archaic law, not to mention the author(s) certaintly had no concept of genetic engineering.

#3    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,360 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

But what about the mention of 'a garment that is woven of two sorts'? Heavens! Are you seriously suggesting we rid the world of mixed-fibre fabrics? If not, why not?

What, in all the world, could I do to earn my living and still live as myself, as I knew myself to be? Temporary masks, I knew, had their place; everyone was wearing them, they were the human rage; but not masks cemented in place until the wearer could not breathe and was eventually suffocated.

#4    Ninhursag

Ninhursag

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

• Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

That's such a good question 0.3

However, I'd paraphrase it a bit .. Instead of asking is it a sin, I'd ask is it moral?

~ Nothing In Nature Is By Chance... Something Appears To Be Chance Only Because Of Our Lack Of Knowledge. - Brauch De Spinoza ~

#5    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

i would say genetic engineering is a little unethical.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#6    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,596 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

Gotta look at Leviticus again... good grief, there is so many different do's and don'ts I get swamped!
Genetically mixing is to me, is the act of playing God, but how do I know this is wrong or right? I am swamped!

Posted Image

#7    lizzieboo

lizzieboo

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

• He was more like a succession of extraordinary events than a person. (Douglas Adams)

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

I don't think genetic engineering is sinful. I do, however, think that the laws of nature are in place for a sound reason, and that we humans presume too much when we infringe upon those laws.

All right, I see what's going on. This is the opening salvo in what will be an escalating series of juvenile tit for tat exchanges. Well titted! Stand by for my upcoming tat. --Dr. Sheldon Cooper

#8    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

View Postlizzieboo, on 27 October 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

I don't think genetic engineering is sinful. I do, however, think that the laws of nature are in place for a sound reason, and that we humans presume too much when we infringe upon those laws.
i agree 100% with what you said, Its like they say just because we can do it doesnt mean we should

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#9    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 7,762 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

No. Not in the slightest.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#10    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

View Postlizzieboo, on 27 October 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

I Totally agree, but there are certain laws that must be obeyed..

Engineering plants/animals that do not seed or reproduce is a sin.
Engineering traits that are not benefitial to the plant or animal is a sin.
Engineering plants/animals purely for profit at the expense of it's quality of life is a sin.
Claiming DNA as Paitent/copyright is a sin.

I for one am Pro Genetic engineering.. But dead against these Morons like monsanto and some other genetisists who abuse the science and are more keen on profit than benefits to the eco system and humanity.. They need to stop genetic engineering right now and need to get their priorities in order before continuing any further imo.

#11    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,360 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 27 October 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

I Totally agree, but there are certain laws that must be obeyed..

Engineering plants/animals that do not seed or reproduce is a sin.
Engineering traits that are not benefitial to the plant or animal is a sin.
Engineering plants/animals purely for profit at the expense of it's quality of life is a sin.
Claiming DNA as Paitent/copyright is a sin.

I for one am Pro Genetic engineering.. But dead against these Morons like monsanto and some other genetisists who abuse the science and are more keen on profit than benefits to the eco system and humanity.. They need to stop genetic engineering right now and need to get their priorities in order before continuing any further imo.
What sort of genetic engineering are you 'pro'?

What, in all the world, could I do to earn my living and still live as myself, as I knew myself to be? Temporary masks, I knew, had their place; everyone was wearing them, they were the human rage; but not masks cemented in place until the wearer could not breathe and was eventually suffocated.

#12    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 27 October 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

What sort of genetic engineering are you 'pro'?

Anything that is benefitial to the plant or animal or human..

I think it may have been back in the 90's when genetisists first engineered some poorer varieties of rice plants to grow twice as many rice bushels. This was a benefit to the plant (more seeds) and to Humanity (yummy yummy) They basically doubled the yield, improved the plants..

The same could be done to some endangered species, the Panda Bear comes to mind.. Here is a species that due to it's very short and infrequent reproductive window is slowly becomming extinct.. Give them the reproductive cycle of a rabbit and vwalla! Panda's will no longer be a threatened species..

Then of course, we have us, humans.. I imagine there are a lot of families out there with genetic traits or abnormalities in their gene pool that they would like to be removed or rewritten, families with a long history of disease or abnormalities that could be saved through genetic engineering or alteration.. Gene therapy, that kind of thing..

Edited by Professor T, 27 October 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#13    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

undead

• 13,360 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 27 October 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

Anything that is benefitial to the plant or animal or human..

Hmm ...... I don't know, I'd always be concerned about the 'slippery slope'/'thin end of the wedge' thing. To say nothing of who decides on the limits.

#14    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 27 October 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

Hmm ...... I don't know, I'd always be concerned about the 'slippery slope'/'thin end of the wedge' thing. To say nothing of who decides on the limits.
That's a valid concern everyone should share. :tu:

Today, in this  age and climate of corporatism, copyright and financial gains being prioritised over the benefitial needs of life makes me tend towards wanting all forms of genetic engineering being banned until we get our collective priorities sorted. It is because of this system of corporations and copyright and financial gain that most of the uses of Genetic science are geared towards the wrong goals.

Creating plants that's seed will not germinate?  Cow's who's milk is designed for human needs as opposed to their own calfs? Suppression of gene therapy in favour of pharma care and it's ongoing costs? It really Pharks me off that humanity has powerful tools to combat suffering and make the world a better place but has no intention or incentive to use them for the right reasons.. And for that reason alone it should be banned until as a species we grow up and learn to use our knowledge properly.

#15    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,346 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

Humans have been doing genetic engineering since we started farming. Which is before that line was written.  We have been breeding plants and animals a long time.  We changed grasses to wheat, corn from a little tiny cob to a big one. Look at all the different kinds of farm animals we have.  They aren't natural, we have changed them genetically to be what we want them to be. Most of them wouldn't survive without us to care from them.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

Also tagged with genetic engineering

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users