Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The most brutal killings of the ancient world

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,002 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

I'm astounded by the brutality mankind is capable of.   The middle ages was a creative time for tortuous devices and means  and often combined punishment with public entertainment.   You might be hanged until half dead... ( YAY!!!)   then have your private parts removed.. (HaHaHa!*)   then be disemboweled (Yes!) .. then drawn and quartered  and your quarters put on display in four different public locations , or any number of arrangements and combinations of punishments  deemed commensurate to the offense .
    But fines  were , and still are, the favorite form of "justice".

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#17    HollyDolly

HollyDolly

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

I believe that St.Juliana,or another early  martyer saint  was sawn in half.Seem to recall seeing in a book a photo of an old fresco of the saint. No limit to the insanity of the human mind to create such horros.

#18    whitegandalf

whitegandalf

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 195 posts

• A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:58 AM

Really discusting stories people.. Maybe this wasnt a good idea afterall.. But then again, it is part of our history. And if were are ever to learn and not repeat history, we must know our history.

Edited by whitegandalf, 30 October 2012 - 04:59 AM.

#19    Stan937

Stan937

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

Well, there was the Chinese 'Death by a Thousand Cuts' where the 1000 mark was probably never reached.  Also the boringly famous crucifixion in it's many variations.

But reall any wound that allows you to live for a few days is immensly painful.

#20    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,099 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

In current day America, the most horendous tourture imaginable is being exposed to the bizillion political ads.

#21    Insaniac

Insaniac

Psychic Spy

• 1,091 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

Bling, on 27 October 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

That was very christian of them :rolleyes:

That wasn't a true Christian, Bling.

True Christian's actually listen to what Jesus mentions about loving your enemy, love thy neighbor, thou shalt not murder, and so on.

And for the record, the Pope isn't a Christian, either. He's blessed wars and told soldiers to kill people in the name of God.

Think, before you mock Christian's. The evil ones are not Christian, regardless of what they tell you.

Peace.

#22    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Insaniac, on 05 November 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

True Christian's actually listen to what Jesus mentions about loving your enemy, love thy neighbor, thou shalt not murder, and so on.

And for the record, the Pope isn't a Christian, either. He's blessed wars and told soldiers to kill people in the name of God.

Think, before you mock Christian's. The evil ones are not Christian, regardless of what they tell you.

Peace.

I was not mocking Christians. If you took it that way then that's your issue. Yes there are good and bad Christians, but if someone chooses the title of 'Christian' then they have to realise they are aligning themselves with the bad part as well as the good. If someone said to me I'm  a Christian' am I supposed to ask 'are you a good Christian or bad Christian'? No one is going to say they are bad Christian! Christianity is  a faith which follows the god of the bible and Jesus, I should know as I was one once- but you can't expect society to be able to tell which is a bad or good Christian, they take the label then they take the consequences, and many like the martyrdom than comes with it as suffering for Christ is considered a good thing.
And the Pope is considered to be of a Christian denomination, be careful not to mock him or you might offend Catholics. ;)

Edited by Bling, 05 November 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#23    mitra9

mitra9

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

• If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Ninhursag, on 28 October 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

Oh my one is more gruesome than the other .. :cry:

However, this one makes makes the hair on my neck stand up:

Sawing:

In Execution by sawing, the criminal would be hung upside-down and a large saw would be used to cut their body in half, starting with the groin, all the way to the head. Because the person was hanging upside-down, the brain received sufficient blood to keep them alive until the saw finally reached the main blood vessels in the abdomen. In the Asian version of this execution, the victim would stand upright and the sawing would begin at the top of the head.

This method of execution was used in the Middle East, Europe, and parts of Asia. It was also used in the Roman Empire and was considered to be the favorite punishment dished out by Emperor Caligula.

Of Course this would be Caligula's favorite, he like the most humiliating and gruesome killings, ughh. Kinda interesting how they come up with all these ways though.

#24    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

Since the OP mentioned torture applied to a Viking, I thought I would mention a common practice used by Vikings.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Blood_eagle

As for "most gruesome", I would go with the Assyrian practice of flaying people alive and nailing their skins on walls.

#25    Insaniac

Insaniac

Psychic Spy

• 1,091 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

That was very christian of them :rolleyes:

Bling, on 05 November 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

I was not mocking Christians. If you took it that way then that's your issue. Yes there are good and bad Christians, but if someone chooses the title of 'Christian' then they have to realise they are aligning themselves with the bad part as well as the good. If someone said to me I'm  a Christian' am I supposed to ask 'are you a good Christian or bad Christian'? No one is going to say they are bad Christian! Christianity is  a faith which follows the god of the bible and Jesus, I should know as I was one once- but you can't expect society to be able to tell which is a bad or good Christian, they take the label then they take the consequences, and many like the martyrdom than comes with it as suffering for Christ is considered a good thing.
And the Pope is considered to be of a Christian denomination, be careful not to mock him or you might offend Catholics. ;)

This isn't about getting even, however this post is *not* aimed directly at you.

Now, If the Pope is a Christian, why does he tell people to do the things Jesus told us not to do? He's been accused of molesting altar boys, which I don't believe Jesus would agree with. True Christianity isn't hypocritical.

This part of the most is aimed at you, because I love you to pieces: I'd love for you to experience God's love as it seems you haven't encountered God's presence before: the feeling of heavy, tangible, all-consuming, unconditional love. I came into contact with it at a Kingom Hall for Jehovah's Witnesses.

Evil people, cannot truly be Christian's, because their works are wicked, and go against God's very nature of loving kindness.

There is no middle-ground. One either is living for Good or living for Evil. It may not be obvious, but it's there.

I think I've made it clear. People who do wicked & evil things, cannot, by nature, be a Christian. They can be liar's and claim they're Christian, but thats it.

Also, It's not only unkind, disrespectful, and hurtful to insult, but it's also against forum rules, so next time, think before you decide to rip on Christian's. ^ ^

p.s. Before you try to note I'm insulting people with this post, I'm not. It is a seperate thing to tell a negative truth about somebody, than to flat-out try to insult someone.

Peace.

#26    IamLegend

IamLegend

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

• "The mind of a child is where the revolution begins" - Immortal Technique

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

Vlad the Impaler sat his victims on top of thick, sharpened wooden poles and they slowly slid down.

#27    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Insaniac, on 06 November 2012 - 08:30 AM, said:

This isn't about getting even, however this post is *not* aimed directly at you.

Now, If the Pope is a Christian, why does he tell people to do the things Jesus told us not to do? He's been accused of molesting altar boys, which I don't believe Jesus would agree with. True Christianity isn't hypocritical.

This part of the most is aimed at you, because I love you to pieces: I'd love for you to experience God's love as it seems you haven't encountered God's presence before: the fe
eling of heavy, tangible, all-consuming, unconditional love. I came into contact with it at a Kingom Hall for Jehovah's Witnesses.

Evil people, cannot truly be Christian's, because their works are wicked, and go against God's very nature of loving kindness.

There is no middle-ground. One either is living for Good or living for Evil. It may not be obvious, but it's there.

I think I've made it clear. People who do wicked & evil things, cannot, by nature, be a Christian. They can be liar's and claim they're Christian, but thats it.

Also, It's not only unkind, disrespectful, and hurtful to insult, but it's also against forum rules, so next time, think before you decide to rip on Christian's. ^ ^

p.s. Before you try to note I'm insulting people with this post, I'm not. It is a seperate thing to tell a negative truth about somebody, than to flat-out try to insult someone.

Peace.

Erm... Where have I insulted anyone? And I have had a deep and meaningful relationship with God....or so I thought, I now believe it to be a psychological experience based on wishful thinking, hysteria and mind control.

#28    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,578 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

And no true scotsman puts sugar in his porridge.

#29    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Peace.

Insaniac, on 06 November 2012 - 08:30 AM, said:

This part of the most is aimed at you, because I love you to pieces: I'd love for you to experience God's love as it seems you haven't encountered God's presence before: the feeling of heavy, tangible, all-consuming, unconditional love. I came into contact with it at a Kingom Hall for Jehovah's Witnesses.

Peace.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I've highlighted some of your post to let you see that I thought you were referring directly to me - you said my name! I don't want to discuss this with you anymore, I don't understand where your hostility is coming from! Peace.

#30    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Stan937, on 05 November 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

Well, there was the Chinese 'Death by a Thousand Cuts' where the 1000 mark was probably never reached.  Also the boringly famous crucifixion in it's many variations.

But reall any wound that allows you to live for a few days is immensly painful.

This could be done with cane grass, lime grass or most wild grasses by whipping over again, enough to braise the skin but no massive blood loss, the real kicker would be the mental anguish of being tyed up with a million paper like cuts all over you in the elements and not being able to scratch.

For me the most brutal torture I can think of is the water drip I REALLY! don't go well with being still/bored/repeditivness. haha

On the other hand the punjab traps and snake pits are pretty horrid.

You could even go as far back as seafearers using unwanted staff or muntineed captains as bait for food tied to the boat with a little cut and dragged along as burley :)

why is everyone so &^%$ing concerned with "the end"...
new beginnings is what you should be concerned about...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users