Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

NASA tests rotary wing space capsules

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,859 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

NASA is investigating the possibility of using helicopter-style rotary blades for capsule re-entry.

Wired said:

NASA engineers are testing out a new version of an old idea: fitting rotary wings to a space capsule for a helicopter-like re-entry method.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

The challenge will be the re-entry phase and transition to subsonic speed during which the blades must be stowed. They will have to figure out a way to keep the blades out of the airflow and then deploy them when the craft is going slow enough. The flying part should be fairly straightforward.

#3    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,156 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

I see this as a million dollar experimental project which will be cut from further budget, due to lack of true viability.

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,193 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

View Post27vet, on 28 October 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

They will have to figure out a way to keep the blades out of the airflow and then deploy them when the craft is going slow enough.
As Saru's original post says, this is an old idea being reinvestigated. A company (now bankrupt) called Rotary Rocket solved many of these problems back in the '90s. The even made 3 test flights of their "Roton" vehicle in 1999.

Source: http://en.wikipedia....i/Rotary_Rocket

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,455 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 28 October 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

As Saru's original post says, this is an old idea being reinvestigated. A company (now bankrupt) called Rotary Rocket solved many of these problems back in the '90s. The even made 3 test flights of their "Roton" vehicle in 1999.

Source: http://en.wikipedia....i/Rotary_Rocket

As I recall this prototype was very unstable and was very hard to see the ground to fly by sight. They also played with a Para-glider type parachute that showed promise , but was dropped as the leaders didn't like the idea. And didn't the Roton also have a capsule spin that was hard to control ? I'm working from memory here.

The world can't end in 2012, I have a yogurt that expires in 2013.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users