Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Sperm Donor ordered to pay child support

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

http://www.parentdis...nk4&pLid=134417

A gay sperm donor who fathered two children has been told he has to cough up child support payments – even though he has played no part in their upbringing.

Mark Langridge, 47, said he donated his sperm as an 'act of kindness' to help two lesbian friends have children.

But 13 years later, his generosity has come back to haunt him after he received a letter from the Child upport Agnecy insisting he has to pay £26 to support the kids he hasn't actually set eyes on in eight years.

#2    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,735 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

This is just wrong...  A person who has no say what-so-ever should have no obligation what-so-ever...

#3    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,897 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

Well, he didn't get anything in writing and it was done as an act between friends - the State has it's own ideas according to the law as to who is responsible for paying for the child's upkeep, given the mother requires child support from the State it seems that they have made sure there was no one else who should pay instead, aka an absentee biological dad.

Should have used a sperm bank to manage the "transaction".

No good deed goes unpunished, especially if the machine of bureacracy in the public service finds out about it :whistle:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#4    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

I think that there should be no child support if the child was not conceived in the bonds of matrimony.

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 30 October 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

I think that there should be no child support if the child was not conceived in the bonds of matrimony.

By this standard thousands of men would get out of paying child support. They shouldn't get out of it that easily.

I am sorry for the guy who is suddenly required to pay child support. Granted, it's in the UK and I don't know what the rules are, but I agree with libstaK: a spermbank or mediator of some kind should've been involved OR some kind of written contract signed by all parties. CYA applies in all areas of life.

Edited by Lady Kasey, 30 October 2012 - 03:38 PM.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#6    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

By this standard thousands of men would get out of paying child support. They shouldn't get out of it that easily.

Then women shouldn't have unprotected sex with them if they are not married or prepared to raise a child by themselves.

Women have all the choice of whether to abort or not, so the man should not be required to pay.

#7    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,383 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

I feel for the guy but how stupid do you have to be to not get something in writing absolving you of any paternity obligations.  When he was introduced as Dad he should've rushed out and gotten an attorney but no, he goes and donates a second time with nothing in writing.

Nice midterms democrats.  As Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#8    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

Many many many many many gay couples do this. A same sex couple,asks for help from another friend,to make this happen .
It's a given ,that its up to the sperm donor,to be in the child's life,unless the people who will rear the child,stipulate otherwise.
To suddenly act like he's a deadbeat dad,is uncool,unless he said,he would contribute to their upbringing ,but I'm betting he didnt ,and they didn't ask him to . So ,to do this now,is beyond uncool.

Miss me?

#9    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

Hmm, polygraph time for the man and women involved.

Edited by WoIverine, 30 October 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#10    soldier4death

soldier4death

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 226 posts

• Believe me, you don't want me believing there isn't a GOD.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

Good try though. I tried telling the judge my sperm was donated too, doesn't work.

"Use your real eyes to realize these real lies."

#11    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

whaaaaaaa?
i would be appealing it if i were him. and i would be getting me some new friends too.

#12    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,721 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 30 October 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

Then women shouldn't have unprotected sex with them if they are not married or prepared to raise a child by themselves.

Women have all the choice of whether to abort or not, so the man should not be required to pay.

Wow!  That is one incredibly assinine remark, IMO.  It takes two don't forget.  Men are just as culpable when it comes to making babies.

As to the OP...that is really ****ty.  Those women wanted to be moms, they should be ashamed of themselves!

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#13    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,316 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Dang. I'm in trouble. :passifier:

#14    evil_kenshin

evil_kenshin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

Being that it was a lesbian couple, so a second mother shouldn't it be the 2nd mother paying child support?

#15    with bells on

with bells on

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

ive donated sperm to close friends of mine, one is transgender (female to male), so they are kind of a lesbian couple.. and via that they have a 3 yearold.. i dont have a dad role in his life..i just wanted to help my trans friend who clearly has no sperm..  but we did it through an ivf clinic so we are both protected, cause im sure cases will come up sooner or later, where the sperm donors want custody of these kids.. but even with what we signed at the clinic, my QC friends say that its not fool proof.. my name isnt on the birth cert..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users