Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

[Merged]Sasquatch in Siberia? Possible Evidence found

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1    Tizqar

Tizqar

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• Once life lifts u up, it drops u twice as hard.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

'Astonishing claims were made in Russia today that DNA tests on suspected 'Yeti hair' reveals the existence of 'an unknown mammal closely related to man'.
The 'tests' were conducted on samples of hair found in a Siberian cave during an international expedition last year.
'We had ten samples of hair to study, and have concluded that they belong to mammal, but not a human,' said Professor Valentin Sapunov, of the Russian State Hydrometeorological Institute.
Nor did the hair belong to any known animal from the region such as a bear, wolf, or goat, he claimed."

Read more http://www.dailymail...ike-mammal.html

What if this turns out to be true? The impact could be huge!

Edited by Tizqar, 30 October 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#2    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Don't worry, it's nonsense, just like every other time this happens.

#3    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,652 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

Dr. Jeff Meldrum was on that expidition and reported they found nothing.

(I just love bringing him into it)

Edited by OverSword, 30 October 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#4    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,089 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

There appears to be some 'confusion' about what this Valentin Sapunov really studied:

The first to make the fantastic discovery was Professor Valentin Sapunov, a member of the New York Academy, St. Petersburg Scientific University – a geneticist and biophysicist.

http://www.eurasiare...bigfoot-exists/

And now read this:

http://www.aces-grou...ia/sapunov.html

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,301 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

Professor Valentin sounds incredibly smart, thanks for posting Abramelin.

Would be great if they captured or killed one for definite proof.  Even around here people claim they have seen one and have been for decades.

#6    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,651 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

I'll wait for the international mainstream scientists' peer review. See how well they share this "amazing discovery" and with whom. Then I'll do the Yeti dance, but still hold out on bigfoot.

More of Sapunov's research and still so typical of the type of  bigfoot research we hear over and over again. The cards seem to always be stacked against these researchers.
http://www.bigfootencounters.com/

There are several Russian yeti and bigfoot proponents as well as a couple Russian scientific institutions I've seen quoted over the years, but how do you check them out? And what have they discovered so far to excite the mainstream community?

Edited by QuiteContrary, 30 October 2012 - 08:36 PM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#7    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

I think the thing that make the cynical old b****** in me come out on this is they say this was a joint expedition, but only one person/group is reporting the findings. Not only that, but if true, this would potentially mean they have the first shred of real scientific proof of such a creature.........so where's the data? Where are the other institutions and scientist involved? Where's the big press conference complete with stuff on easels, questions and answers?

All we have is one guy from one institute talking to one news group and he's making it sound like he's talking for everyone. They're supposed to be world level institutes involved but he doesn't even name them and none of them are present for the "big reveal".

Sorry, but this just don't add up in my book.

#8    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

Oh, those wascally Wussians are just gearing up for this year's Yeti Day celebrations on November 11. It's good for tourism to the region.

'We had ten samples of hair to study, and have concluded that they belong to mammal, but not a human,' said Professor Valentin Sapunov, of the Russian State Hydrometeorological Institute.

It's like when weather reports track Santa's sleigh at Christmas.

Cryptozoology is all fun and games until someone gets mauled by a Bigfoot and since that just doesn't happen it is all just fun and games...

Edited by Night Walker, 31 October 2012 - 07:10 AM.

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#9    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,651 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostNight Walker, on 31 October 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

Oh, those wascally Wussians are just gearing up for this year's Yeti Day celebrations on November 11. It's good for tourism to the region.

It's like when weather reports track Santa's sleigh at Christmas.

Cryptozoology is all fun and games until someone gets mauled by a Bigfoot and since that just doesn't happen it is all just fun and games...

LOL, NW

A Yeti Party! What a great idea. It must be the Russian  Georgian in me.

We can play
"Bobbing for Evidence"      
"Pin the DNA on the Yeti"
"Footprint (only one) Scavenger Hunt"
"Catch the Yeti Sack Race"

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#10    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 31 October 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

A Yeti Party! What a great idea. It must be the Russian  Georgian in me.

We can play
"Bobbing for Evidence"   
"Pin the DNA on the Yeti"
"Footprint (only one) Scavenger Hunt"
"Catch the Yeti Sack Race"

Also:

"Blind Man's Bluff Creek"
"Follow the BFRO Leader"
"Hide and Pretend to Seek"

Oh, how the long winter nights must fly by...

Edited by Night Walker, 31 October 2012 - 10:50 AM.

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#11    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

You're enjoying this way more than is healthy.

:w00t:

#12    SwordMonkey

SwordMonkey

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

DNA tests on hair found supposedly found in a Siberian cave may actually prove the existence of the Abominable Snowman.
Three separate DNA tests of the hair reported it “came from a human-like creature which is not a Homosapien yet is more closely related to man than a monkey”.
Yeti hunters claim Yeti DNA is less than one per cent different to that of a human. But no-one has confirmed that “fact” to date, because no Yeti has ever been found or tested for DNA.

Until now. The DNA tests were carried out at universities in Moscow, St Petersburg at Idaho in the US. It is understood a fourth DNA test is also being carried out in the UK.

“We had ten samples of hair to study, and have concluded that they belong to mammal, but not a human, and not the animals known to the area where they were found, like a bear, or wolf, or goat, or any other animal,” Professor Valentin Sapunov of the Russian State Hydrometeorological Institute said.

Linky: http://www.news.com....0-1226507133971

personally, I am leaning more towards hoax than actual proof... They could have easily sent in monkey hair to test, without anyone knowing if it came from a 'Yeti-like' creature, as claimed.

Edited by SwordMonkey, 31 October 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#13    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,395 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

Breaking news!!!

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#14    Harlequin Dreamer

Harlequin Dreamer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

• Dear Optimist,Pessimist,and Realist, While you guys are busy arguing about a glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely the Opportunist.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

View PostSwordMonkey, on 31 October 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

DNA tests on hair found supposedly found in a Siberian cave may actually prove the existence of the Abominable Snowman.
Three separate DNA tests of the hair reported it “came from a human-like creature which is not a Homosapien yet is more closely related to man than a monkey”.
Yeti hunters claim Yeti DNA is less than one per cent different to that of a human. But no-one has confirmed that “fact” to date, because no Yeti has ever been found or tested for DNA.

personally, I am leaning more towards hoax than actual proof... They could have easily sent in monkey hair to test, without anyone knowing if it came from a 'Yeti-like' creature, as claimed.
But if they sent in monkey hair wouldnt they already have a data base of every primate known to man which they would be trying to match. ?

#15    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,900 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 31 October 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

Breaking news!!!
Breaking Wind more like it.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

From: [Merged]Sasquatch in Siberia? Possible Evidence found

By ufonuts in I believe, on 02 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Stop arguing you big babies and accept that Big Foot can exist, just like Bed Bugs, I've never seen a bed bug, but yet I know they exist. Why? because people say so. Silly reason right? Maybe, maybe not. Open your eyes, as my...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users