Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Media's influence on paranormal perception

paranormal paul brewer media perception influence

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,390 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

The paranormal is a popular and enduring theme in the media, stretching from Bram Stoker’s novel Dracula to the newest installment of Paranormal Activity, which opened last week. Television shows cover the spectrum from fiction, like the CW’s Beauty and the Beast, or CBS’s Ghost Whisperer; to quasi-factual shows like SyFy’s Ghost Hunters, which has spawned copycat shows on networks from Biography to Animal Planet.

Paul Brewer, professor of communication at the University of Delaware, was intrigued by the omnipresence of paranormal entertainment. Brewer wondered what makes viewers believe or not believe what they see on the screen.

http://www.redorbit....l-media-102612/

Posted Image

#2    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

Pretty logical when you think about it.

People will pretty much take what they read or hear on tv at face value.

Now if just believing would let me make a Sam and Dean Winchester sandwich, I'd believe with all my heart!

#3    sergeantflynn

sergeantflynn

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

• WHY WORRY ?

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

That`s one of the reasons I`ve never watched TV for 10-15 years . Newspapers are no better . I`ll stick to Shortwave Radio and form my own opinion from the various worldwide sources . Providing they`re not conspiring together !

#4    HollyDolly

HollyDolly

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Well, I like watching the paranormal shows, but my belief in ghosts doesn't hinge on that.My dad used tell some ghost stories brought over from Germany, things that happend to relatives there,long before there were any ghost shows on tv.And I believe in an afterlife,that there is more to the world than this.Also, all cultures have tales of ghosts and spirits and a belief in the afterlife.

#5    MB Forde

MB Forde

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Agreed about the newspapers! Certainly, people don't conduct their own research into things they hear on TV or read about. Some of the old ghost stories I've written about over the years are fairly easily debunked (or, at least become rather dubious) when one digs a little deeper, and yet people still believe them in their droves.

#6    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,476 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

View Postsergeantflynn, on 01 November 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

That`s one of the reasons I`ve never watched TV for 10-15 years . Newspapers are no better . I`ll stick to Shortwave Radio and form my own opinion from the various worldwide sources . Providing they`re not conspiring together !

No one is stopping a person from forming their own view regardless of where they get their misinformation from.
I understand that when kids see stuff on tv or read something in a book it is reasonable to expect that they might believe it
but as adults we have a responsibility to do our own research and not blame the tv or and media because one chooses to believe in imaginary monsters.

In my view ALL forms of information have the propensity to be misleading and deceptive.

#7    sergeantflynn

sergeantflynn

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

• WHY WORRY ?

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostRyu, on 01 November 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

No one is stopping a person from forming their own view regardless of where they get their misinformation from.
I understand that when kids see stuff on tv or read something in a book it is reasonable to expect that they might believe it
but as adults we have a responsibility to do our own research and not blame the tv or and media because one chooses to believe in imaginary monsters.

In my view ALL forms of information have the propensity to be misleading and deceptive.
what does Propensity mean please ?

#8    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

View Postsergeantflynn, on 01 November 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

what does Propensity mean please ?

It means to have the ability to or be likely to.

#9    sergeantflynn

sergeantflynn

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

• WHY WORRY ?

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

View Postcoldethyl, on 01 November 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

It means to have the ability to or be likely to.
I must have led a sheltered life . Suppose I must have had the propensity to do so . That doesn`t sound right . Wrong context maybe .

Edited by sergeantflynn, 01 November 2012 - 09:21 PM.

#10    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

View Postsergeantflynn, on 01 November 2012 - 09:20 PM, said:

I must have led a sheltered life . Suppose I must have had the propensity to do so . That doesn`t sound right . Wrong context maybe .

Here's the dictionary.com version:
a natural inclination or tendency: a propensity to drink too much.

I majored in English, that comes with a large vocabulary.  Plus my kids are in college so I have to answer a lot of questions. lol

#11    sergeantflynn

sergeantflynn

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

• WHY WORRY ?

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

View Postcoldethyl, on 01 November 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

Here's the dictionary.com version:
a natural inclination or tendency: a propensity to drink too much.

I majored in English, that comes with a large vocabulary.  Plus my kids are in college so I have to answer a lot of questions. lol
Aye , coldethyl , I`m English and have always been `good` at it (written & spoken) but that word seems to be bandied about a lot . I had it in my mind that if one had the propensity to do something then it meant that they had the nerve /cheek to do it .  Dammit , I`ve forgotten what this thread`s about now..NURSE.........

#12    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,175 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

View Postsergeantflynn, on 01 November 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

Aye , coldethyl , I`m English and have always been `good` at it (written & spoken) but that word seems to be bandied about a lot . I had it in my mind that if one had the propensity to do something then it meant that they had the nerve /cheek to do it .  Dammit , I`ve forgotten what this thread`s about now..NURSE.........

Nurse, I have a propensity for wanting more morphine, please, my back still hurts.

#13    Xanthurion2

Xanthurion2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Valar morghulis

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:47 AM

for what it's worth i agree with the op

SRS

#14    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Fact or Faked on SyFy usually does a pretty good job of tearing apart hoaxes or misperceptions or at least showing how easily things can be hoaxed.

They do make mistakes and often reduce their credibility by ending an investigation with a "mysterious" event that is supposed to placate those who still want to believe some paranormal activity happened. It's usually an audio recording that sounds something like "Mmmum mrprhphurph mummurmurph" which they claim sounds like someone saying "I am the god of hell fire" or something like that.

They utterly failed to see the painfully obvious CGI in nearly every frame of the "Glowing Gargoyle" video. If you step through the frames, the camera motion is causing lights in the background to leave long trails due to the show shutter speed yet the "gargoyle" is perfectly sharp in every one of them -- its bright glowing eyes are sharp as pins. It turned its head to the camera in a single frame leaving no motion blur proving it was an animation and the motion of it jumping off the playground castle was so unnatural that it had to be poor CGI. None of this was brought up even though in that very episode they had rejected a video because when they stepped through it, they saw a jump in motion which indicated CGI. Argh!

I think they just wanted a free trip to England.

Edited by scowl, 02 November 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#15    paperdyer

paperdyer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

While people have the ability to form their own opinions by doign research, they don't.  The general public is naive and wants to believe anything they see and read in the papers/i-net/TV because it's easier.  I this weren't true, car salesmen and conmen would be out of business. :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users