Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Paranormal books

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    K_Bonita

K_Bonita

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 258 posts

• For every dark night,there's a brighter day.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

I want to buy a new novel to start reading...this time I want something scary,paranormal  or thriller type of novel. I haven't read any paranormal or a thriller type of book category yet. I've always been drawn into the mystery and crime books. From time to time a romance type but that's not really my taste I love thrillers and mystery novels lol.

So if there's any suggestions out there I'd love to see what you have in mind and I'm definitely willing to give them a read :)

THANKS!!

“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then. ”

#2    Biff Wellington

Biff Wellington

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

I like "The Vengeful Djinn: Unveilling The Hidden Agenda of Genies" by Rosemary Elken Guilley. If you like that topic. I persobally like the Djinn Topix

#3    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

• I'm the fourth wise monkey.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

...... I read the title to this thread quickly and thought it said "Paranormal boobs". :unsure2:

I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

*Note to self, need more henchman, good ones this time. Also, start auditions for new female lab assistant.

#4    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

View PostBracket, on 02 November 2012 - 05:59 AM, said:

...... I read the title to this thread quickly and thought it said "Paranormal boobs". :unsure2:

So did I .......I wasn't going to post it though.

Miss me?

#5    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

John Saul writes some good ones. and of course Dean Koontz

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#6    WGH

WGH

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

• Today is tomorrows yesterday, and yesterdays tomorrow.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

"The Birthing house" and "The Haunting of James Hastings" by Christopher Ransom are good.
I read "The people next door" by him also but not as good as the other two. He also has a new one out "The fading" But I havn't read it, it didnt sound so good.

#7    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

I really enjoyed the novel The Terror by Dan Simmons, set aboard HMS Terror as it and it's sister ship HMS Erebus try to find the Northwest Passage.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#8    K_Bonita

K_Bonita

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Lol that would be funny.

#9    K_Bonita

K_Bonita

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions,I will definitely drop by the book store this weekend and grab a couple of those book suggestions made!.

#10    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

View PostK_Bonita, on 02 November 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

I want to buy a new novel to start reading...this time I want something scary,paranormal  or thriller type of novel. I haven't read any paranormal or a thriller type of book category yet. I've always been drawn into the mystery and crime books. From time to time a romance type but that's not really my taste I love thrillers and mystery novels lol.

So if there's any suggestions out there I'd love to see what you have in mind and I'm definitely willing to give them a read :)

THANKS!!

The Haunting Of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
The Shining by Stephen King
Hell House by Richard Matheson
The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons
The Elementals by Michael McDowell

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#11    markprice

markprice

Government Agent

• 3,654 posts

• To deny meaning is an act of ignorance.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

I've seen those. Also they are the preferred boobs of Marilyn Manson (FYI).

Books: Dark Tower series by King. You get everything including the kitchen sink, but you have some appreciation for westerns to get into those.

"How can someone prove that a rainbow exists to a blind man?"

#12    Leftcoastgal

Leftcoastgal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 104 posts

• "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" H.S. Thompson
    Avatar: The Comet Kid by Bob Sacha

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

For fiction, if you want an epic novel by Stephen King,  give one of these two a go, both are pretty unsettling as I recall them.  Yes, they made movies of both, but you know that story...usually don't measure up to the books. Both of them long, but worth it

IT
The Stand

One that is Non-Fiction which may interest you, believe it or not, is The Mothman by John Keel.

Yes, there was movie and dramatic license applied as per Hollywood issue in general, but this is actually a true story.  The author, John Keel, would spend basically the rest of his life seriously researching things of a paranormal nature.  I mean gnats' ass detailed research, which lead him all over the map and connected him with others, many scientists with serious CV's, people deeply involved in avenues of research that are not run of the mill or made for front page news kind of things.   It will surprise you.  In this book alone he not only has the Mothman creature to deal with, but the Men In Black begin showing up in his life and would apparently never leave until he died years later.  This one is truly surprisingly interesting.  I know it's thought of as an urban myth, but no... this story has some real chops to it.  Have fun.

WOW, I should have checked the date on the earlier posts.  Man oh man...  they are so old nobody will ever read this or the books... hahahaha.  That'll teach me not to check dates in future.  Oh, well, I did get some info on some books anyway.  Ciao!

Edited by Leftcoastgal, 03 April 2013 - 11:00 PM.

#13    jsolesen

jsolesen

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostK_Bonita, on 02 November 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions,I will definitely drop by the book store this weekend and grab a couple of those book suggestions made!.

Hej K_Bonita

I also love reading about the paranormal and I would recommend you to check out these two books:

Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places http://www.amazon.co...es brad Steiger
Out of the Dark http://www.amazon.co...rk brad steiger

Edited by jsolesen, 18 May 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#14    Mys-terious

Mys-terious

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostWGH, on 02 November 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

"The Birthing house" and "The Haunting of James Hastings" by Christopher Ransom are good.
Oooo, I second "The Haunting of James Hastings"!

#15    WhispersInTheAttic

WhispersInTheAttic

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 150 posts

• "It is with true love as it is with ghosts; everyone talks about it, but few have seen it." ~Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

Need any other suggestions? If you do let me know. I've read quite a few. ^_^

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users