Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why Do Grammar Mistakes Upset People?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1    Kazoo

Kazoo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• “What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.”

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'm not talking about smart asses or people who are being witty correcting the grammar of others.

I'm talking about people who just get angry and feel the irrational need to correct everything to the point it upsets them. Why is this? Is it some form of OCD?  Maybe bad grammar symbolizes a sort of disrespect?  

I'm not trying to be smart like "lul grammar nazi stupid". I'm seriously curious why.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H.L. Mencken

#2    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

If anyone tries to correct your grammar here, quote them forum rule 5b.  :P

#3    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Maybe they just have nothing better to do.

#4    lsra

lsra

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 145 posts

• Someday we'll look back at this and plow into a parked car.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

I will admit, poor grammar bugs me.  I don't get upset about it, and I don't correct others on it (unless it's my children).  I don't know why it bugs me so much.   I think I can blame Mrs. Palmer, my senior year english teacher.  She drilled all of that into our heads.

I have seen some people get downright rude to others on internet forums over grammar, and honestly, they over react.  It might be annoying but it is certainly not that big of a deal.

#5    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

grammar isn't as big a deal to me as a message filled with simple spelling errors.
it's one thing to have a few typos, or spell a word or two wrong here and there, but illiteracy is a major problem that is being swept under the rug - not just on the internet, but in all aspects of life.
that is why it bothers me as much as it does.
i understand completely that english is not everyone's first language, and i am  not referring to those people.

#6    MidKn13ght

MidKn13ght

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

• The world is MINE!!!!

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

People have selfesteem issues and feel better about themselves to point out others faults. Grammer happens to be the most noticeable. Noone is perfect yet everyone is held to that standard.. :rofl:

#7    _Only

_Only

• 6,487 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

View Postlsra, on 02 November 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

I will admit, poor grammar bugs me.  I don't get upset about it, and I don't correct others on it (unless it's my children).  I don't know why it bugs me so much.

Probably because written word is a form of communication, and whenever someone has to do extra work (however small) to understand someone else's communication, it bothers them (to varying degrees).

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#8    _Only

_Only

• 6,487 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostMidKn13ght, on 02 November 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

People have selfesteem issues and feel better about themselves to point out others faults. Grammer happens to be the most noticeable. Noone is perfect yet everyone is held to that standard.. :rofl:

Sorry, that sounds nice, but it honestly bothers me when I read a 10 sentence paragraph with no punctuation to break up the sentences, and I say nothing about it, to not be rude. No self esteem involved. It just bugs me.

#9    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

View Post_Only, on 02 November 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

Sorry, that sounds nice, but it honestly bothers me when I read a 10 sentence paragraph with no punctuation to break up the sentences, and I say nothing about it, to not be rude. No self esteem involved. It just bugs me.

When I come across something like that, I just don't read it.

My ADD and dyslexia combined can't seem to handle it.

#10    _Only

_Only

• 6,487 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

View PostMnemonix, on 02 November 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

When I come across something like that, I just don't read it.

My ADD and dyslexia combined can't seem to handle it.

I read it, but find myself reading it in a hurried kid's voice who is speaking without taking a breath, in my head. Written communication is a funny thing.

#11    maxcred

maxcred

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Poor grammar bother me too. It can reduce someone's ability to comminucate effectively in writing. I don't it point it out much and have never done that in this forum. It's taught in grade school and I would have thought everyone learned it there. For instance in English when you make a noun plural you add the letter s, no apostrophe. All the time you see people adding apostrophes when they are making a noun plural instead of just the letter s. Adding an apostrophe means that is the possessive form of the noun, not the plural form. When I see that I think 'What did this person do all those years in school'. They had to have come across this a few times. When I was in school you had to take an English class every year 1st through 10th grade. Most people had one in junior and senior years too. If some one didn't learn something as simple as that all the years they were in school then I have to wonder about their ability to learn.

#12    Kazoo

Kazoo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• “What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.”

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

View Post_Only, on 02 November 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

This is what I'm talking about. I find it particuraly weird. Not to single you out. But alot of perfectly nice people are bothered by it.  I find it strange.

My prefer use of periods and lack of comma's probably bother alot of you. (the sentences above are perfect examples)

But WHY?  I find it extremely strange how easy people look over the faults of another on the internet and real life. But then the person makes a grammar mistake and "No. This bothers me."

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H.L. Mencken

#13    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

View PostKazoo, on 02 November 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

But WHY?  I find it extremely strange how easy people look over the faults of another on the internet and real life. But then the person makes a grammar mistake and "No. This bothers me."
i mentioned why in my earlier post:
...but illiteracy is a major problem that is being swept under the rug - not just on the internet, but in all aspects of life.

i think this is a very valid reason for being bothered by it. how is it that you don't understand that?

#14    _Only

_Only

• 6,487 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:02 AM

View PostKazoo, on 02 November 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

I also explained why it slightly bothers me. I'm not going to mention looking over faults of others in choice of my stand against poor grammar, because I'm not sure what you're talking about.

#15    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

I am not joking when I say that I have stopped pursuing a couple of girls I've been interested in because of their grammar.

Does that make me a bad person?

Edit: I don't usually make mention of grammar in here because we have a broad mix of people who don't necessarily use English as their first language and I'm sure I make mistakes too. (Although if someone writes a horrendous post I might mention it in a 'niceish' way)

Edited by Timonthy, 03 November 2012 - 05:08 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users