Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dreams of the blind from birth

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,800 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Since the concept of colours and many aspects of life would not be possible or them to observe. What would their dreams look like? Are they still able to think of colours? Are their dreams completely different or even somehow similar to ours?

Thoughts or anecdotes?

#2    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,814 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

I read something that said most blind people (blind from birth or a very early age) do dream, but their dreams are different in the sense that they consist of mostly being able to speak, listen, taste, smell, taste and touch (feel).
Some blind people also describe "feeling" like they are seeing something, but are unable to describe what whatever it was looked like. I think it's similar to those things that happen in dreams where you just "know" something, despite being unable to fully understand or describe it. (Like occasionally waking up with a really uneasy or upsetting feeling but you don't know why).

Edited by sarah_444, 04 November 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#3    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,555 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

What Sarah said. I have a blind from birth friend. He dreams the same way he experiences the world: touch, smell, sounds, emotions. There is nothing called "vision" in their experience. Why would dreams have it?

Embrace the impossible.

#4    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,800 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

That's a very interesting way to dream, thanks for the replies. I wonder if we could take it a step further and hypothetically consider those who are blind, deaf, with asomia, ageusia, void of emotion and inability to feel. How would their dreams be like? They are incabapable of almost knowing they are alive, a torture in itself. Just capable of thought.

#5    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

Interesting thread.  I've never considered it.  It would be quite fascinating to see a study or something like that.

#6    araxia

araxia

Apparition

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

You won't ever really see something if you aren't capable to feel or experience it first.

#7    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,782 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 04 November 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

Since the concept of colours and many aspects of life would not be possible or them to observe. What would their dreams look like? Are they still able to think of colours? Are their dreams completely different or even somehow similar to ours?

Thoughts or anecdotes?
I have read accounts where a blind person experiencing an OOBE can literally feel an entire room at once. An awareness greater than perceived  vision.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#8    araxia

araxia

Apparition

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 12 November 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

I have read accounts where a blind person experiencing an OBE can literally feel an entire room at once. An awareness greater than perceived vision.

i found this   interesting quote: "You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel." :wub:

Close your eyes, clear your heart, let it go... The content ... "You see, every little girl - and every little boy - is asking one fundamental question: am I loved, does someone see me? am I worthy? I am worthy of LOVE? AM I worth it? IT=LOVE.... :innocent:

#9    araxia

araxia

Apparition

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

:clap: :-*Posted Image

#10    araxia

araxia

Apparition

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

the eyes only see what the mind is prepared to comprehend...

the soul sees more than the physical eyes.....

when you open your heart to a reality outside of yourself you will see things more clearly....

#11    machstem

machstem

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

Luke, I am your father...

#12    _Only

_Only

• 6,653 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 04 November 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

That's a very interesting way to dream, thanks for the replies. I wonder if we could take it a step further and hypothetically consider those who are blind, deaf, with asomia, ageusia, void of emotion and inability to feel. How would their dreams be like? They are incabapable of almost knowing they are alive, a torture in itself. Just capable of thought.

Now this is going to sound out there, but it's something I've thought about after reading a metaphysics book. Dreams are a way for you to process conversing with the part of you that you don't consciously get to interact with in this waking world. You could consider this sleep state as the 'behind the curtain' time, where the real work in consciousness and its processing gets done. At some point in this state, you exit, and eventually wake up. I think dreams could be a memory of this time you spent outside of the box, but are placed in your waking conscious memory the only way they can be accepted, interpreted into things you know (familiar, or at least known in some way, settings, people, objects, etc.) in your conscious state. Your time outside of your usual state of consciousness is summed up and created into a story which uses settings and things you know as symbolic representations of the things you thought about, felt, learned during your time out. So of course someone who can't see will only be able to interpret the 'dreams' using their other senses. Like in waking life, whatever senses you have will pick up the slack for whatever sense you lack.

Just an idea about the consciousness dip during sleep, but the other senses taking over for the lost one is most likely true.

Edited by _Only, 26 November 2012 - 06:35 AM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#13    _Only

_Only

• 6,653 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

View Postaraxia, on 13 November 2012 - 12:15 AM, said:

:clap: :-*Posted Image

As much as I disagree with a lot of what you write, I loved this. I was sitting in the forest one night in and out of thought when I came up with the saying 'the love of true beauty is the beauty of true love'. I must have said it 30 times before it became more than just nice words and the meaning really sunk in.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#14    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

View PostOrcseeker, on 04 November 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

Thoughts or anecdotes?
you wouldn't know if their dreams were colored because they couldn't tell you that. i would guess their dreams are impressions not pictures, because they would have nothing in their memory to draw an image from

#15    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,740 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

View Postaraxia, on 11 November 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

You won't ever really see something if you aren't capable to feel or experience it first.
Thats not entirely true. A sighted person can dream of things they have never seen because we can create mental images and concepts from our imagination and via extrapolation or synthesis.

For example i have dreamed many times of moving through thick rock,  as well as through thick stone walls several metres thick. Ive never actually seen inside a wall or rock, but my mind supplies the imagery.

I've also visited many forms of alien places and planets and met many alien life forms. None of these have i seen before in a movie etc.  When i was a child i dreamed of all sorts of locales that Id never encountered or seen. Ive flown on the backs of dragons, in light ships between the stars, and via flying carpets. Ive flown around the world, sat on top of the pyramids, (there is a small flat area on top of one of them where you can sit and watch the sun rise). and through the zambesi falls. Needless to say Ive never done any of these things in person, nor when i dreamed them had i ever seen them on  a movie or documentary.

So our minds can put together facimiles of places etc we have never seen.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users