Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Child mauled to death by African painted dogs

pittsburgh zoo african painted dogs

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,536 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Officials of the Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium confirmed this afternoon that a little boy was mauled to death today after falling into the African painted dog exhibit.

The incident occurred at 11:48 a.m. at the Highland Park complex, according to emergency dispatch supervisor. The zoo was shut down within a half-hour of the incident and will remain closed indefinitely.

A Pittsburgh police officer shot and killed one of the 11 dogs in the exhibit.

http://www.post-gaze...exhibit-660606/

How awful :(

Posted Image

#2    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

How, exactly, did the child get into the enclosure I wonder?

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#3    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 04 November 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

How, exactly, did the child get into the enclosure I wonder?

'Zoo President and Chief Executive Officer Barbara Baker said the child, who was about 3 years old, was on an outing with his mother when he fell over a wooden railing and off of a mesh barrier where the painted dogs were on display. A zoo spokeswoman said the wooden railing is 4 feet in height and the lower mesh barrier is 14 feet above the open exhibit space.'

Posted Image

~MEH~

#4    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

View PostHasina, on 04 November 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

'Zoo President and Chief Executive Officer Barbara Baker said the child, who was about 3 years old, was on an outing with his mother when he fell over a wooden railing and off of a mesh barrier where the painted dogs were on display. A zoo spokeswoman said the wooden railing is 4 feet in height and the lower mesh barrier is 14 feet above the open exhibit space.'

I can't picture what they mean by a 'mesh barrier' ...... doesn't sound as though it and the fence were adequate to keep people safe, anyway.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#5    RamblingRebel

RamblingRebel

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

That's tragic.

I don't know the exact situation as to what happened, but surely there must've been someone around who was capable of jumping in after the kid to save him, it's not as though they are tigers or lions.

Like what about the guy banging a rake to distract them?!  Hit the dogs with the rake ffs, they are eating a little kid, don't prance around like an idiot.

Maybe I got it wrong, but I don't really get it.

Besides that I do feel sorry for the kids family and the people who had to witness it.

#6    RamblingRebel

RamblingRebel

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

They say the barriers were 4ft high and I'm thinking the kid couldn't be that tall, so I'm thinking he's been climbing on the fence, but then again what kid doesn't when they go to the zoo to get a better look.

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,448 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

This is such a horrible thing to have happen to the kid. I don't see how the mother kept from jumping in there herself.

Why do parents feel that they can ignore little kids around wild animals.  This isn't the first time something like this has happened.

#8    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

Poor kid, poor family....and everyone who witnessed it  :(

#9    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

I hope the child was killed by the fall before the dogs got to him. So very sad...

Maybe they should let kids test zoo barriers, etc., rather than some old adults okaying enclosures.

#10    RamblingRebel

RamblingRebel

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 04 November 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

I hope the child was killed by the fall before the dogs got to him. So very sad...

Maybe they should let kids test zoo barriers, etc., rather than some old adults okaying enclosures.

Thats actually a very good idea.  Wonder if they do something like that before they build them?

#11    lsra

lsra

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 145 posts

• Someday we'll look back at this and plow into a parked car.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

This is awful.  Kids are all over the place, that's why you have to have a constant eye on them.  It's so easy for me to automatically blame the mother for not watching her child, but I wasn't there and didn't see what happened.  But still...

#12    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,536 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

I see they've changed the wording in the news report slightly since my OP. It now says -

"Pittsburgh police Major Crimes Lt. Kevin Kraus said the boy's 34-year-old mother placed the child in a standing position on a wooden railing overlooking the enclosure.

"Almost immediately after that he lost his balance, fell down off the railing into the actual pit and he was immediately attacked by 11 dogs," Lt. Kraus said."

http://www.post-gaze...exhibit-660606/

:( :(

Posted Image

#13    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

This is tragic on so many levels

Miss me?

#14    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:36 AM

Maybe they should test out kids with their parents before using a particular enclosure or fencing. You can't ignore what you think some kids or parents will not do.

My heart goes out to the mother. It only takes a second to make a mistake a tragic mistake. I don't think any parent gets by without a close call.

#15    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,282 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

They don't have "above human" fences? Shame, shame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users