Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Outrage as diver drags live octopus from sea

pacific octopus dylan mayer seattle

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,392 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

A rising tide of outrage is forming after pictures emerged of a 20-year-old diver who dragged a giant Pacific octopus from its watery home and then killed and ate it for his friends art project.

Angry fellow divers from the shore of Seattle took photographs of Dylan Mayer proudly standing with the large octopus and then watched in disbelief as he and his friend tossed the still live 30 pound female onto the bed of his truck before driving off.

http://www.dailymail...ome-dinner.html

Posted Image

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,214 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

And was hsi defence "but it's for ART!"?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#3    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

Hope it chokes him....not enough to kill him, just enough to make him feel the fear and pain that octopus must have felt.

#4    WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

• When i'm right,no one remembers!
    When i'm wrong no one forgets !

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

i would bring it home and cook it also .. whats wrong to eat an octopus?

#5    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

I beleive the giant pacific octopus is a protected species. And as such this guy should be charged with poaching and whatever else. I don't care at all that it was an octopus. I only care that the law was broken and this fellow was caught doing it.

At least he did eat it, rather then simply tossing it out on a dirt road somewhere.

Edit: The article actually says the octopus is NOT protected, so no crime... Again, at least he ate it.

Edited by DieChecker, 04 November 2012 - 10:34 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#6    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,392 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

According to the article news video, he didn't do anything illegal :unsure2:

Posted Image

#7    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 04 November 2012 - 10:37 PM, said:

According to the article news video, he didn't do anything illegal :unsure2:

There it's outrage because this is an intelligent animal and we relate it to us.  There is a great documentary on the eating of intelligent animals called, The Problem with Popplers, starring Turanga Leela who explores the issue with anti-eater Lrrr of Omicron Persii 8.  Very controversial stuff.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#8    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,520 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 04 November 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

I beleive the giant pacific octopus is a protected species. And as such this guy should be charged with poaching and whatever else. I don't care at all that it was an octopus. I only care that the law was broken and this fellow was caught doing it.

At least he did eat it, rather then simply tossing it out on a dirt road somewhere.

Edit: The article actually says the octopus is NOT protected, so no crime... Again, at least he ate it.

Nope, it's not. It was caught off West Seattle on Alki beach. You have to have a license to fish for them, and the limit is one. It's really no different than fishing for salmon off the same beach. I can't see why people are so freaked out by it. Is it because it's pretty? Or because people aren't used to seeing them outside a restaurant where theyve just ordered it for dinner?

People fish for octopus in Puget Sound ALL the time. They just don't typically do it off of Alki which is a famous beach, FULL of people all the time, and it's always crowded with scuba divers. I'd imagine the outrage stems from people just never really seeing people hunt octopus before.

I live fairly close to Alki beach and I've even seen these octopus while swimming or sailing in Puget Sound. They are VERY abundant.

Edited by MissMelsWell, 04 November 2012 - 11:03 PM.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#9    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

People eat fish and other animals all the time.

#10    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,335 posts

• I'd rather laugh than argue.

Choose your weapon.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 04 November 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

There it's outrage because this is an intelligent animal and we relate it to us.  There is a great documentary on the eating of intelligent animals called, The Problem with Popplers, starring Turanga Leela who explores the issue with anti-eater Lrrr of Omicron Persii 8.  Very controversial stuff.
Um, okay.

#11    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 04 November 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

Um, okay.

Sorry!  I crack myself up!  Hehe...

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#12    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

I can't see the problem.  I like a bit of octopus and squid.  It's delicious.  I often buy calimari coated in breadcrumbs from the local supermarket.

Some people still haven't cottoned on to the fact that humans are natural omnivores and that seafood is the natural part of the human diet.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 07 November 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#13    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 04 November 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

The octopus may be, vaguely, intelligent but I reckon it'd struggle with Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

#14    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 07 November 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

The octopus may be, vaguely, intelligent but I reckon it'd struggle with Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

Hehe... I hope so!  ;)

#15    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,392 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Update -

Teen who caught and killed massive octupus now says he regrets it as national outcry could spark statewide ban

http://www.dailymail...tewide-ban.html

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users