Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Bigfoot: real or myth? -- Why? -- Why not?

• Please log in to reply
500 replies to this topic

#106    Night Walker

Night Walker

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

View PostInsanity, on 04 April 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

What specifically do you mean?  Many primate species exhibit bipedalism to varying degrees.  Any species within the order Primates, or only within Hominoids?

Surprise me - any predominantly bipedal, tail-less, human-sized or greater, non-modern-human primate fossil or remains within the Americas will do.

Of course, petrified giants have been found in the past but that only goes to show how much folk enjoy messing with other folk throughout history. Has anything really changed?

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#107    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,117 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:12 AM

View PostNight Walker, on 04 April 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

Can you point to any fossil evidence of bipedal primates (not modern Homo sapiens) within the Americas? Or is that just a crazy and unfounded minor detail?
{insert obvious answers here}

So almost everyone else is mistaken or faking it except you and your "class A" sighting buddies - is that right?
That is correct, we just want to be on TVnot.

Posted Image

#108    Night Walker

Night Walker

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:15 AM

Fascinating...

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

#109    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

View PostChewiesArmy, on 04 April 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

I just have a hard time disregarding so many eyewitness accounts, especially from rangers and hunters. I have run into black bear in the woods, a few times, and I have never had a doubt about what I saw. A bear is a very unmistakable animal.

Ordinarily, I would agree with you. You sound like you can keep your wits about you and see with your rational eyes. What happens to a lot of people is they get pumped, adrenaline begins to flow and suddenly they've lost a little of their ability to see what's really there. I never will forget being out on a hike with a couple buddies and we had a very close encounter with a group of dogs who were chasing some Ferrel hogs. Needless to say it was an intense encounter and we all had to climb trees to get out of the danger zone. I will say it's incredible to watch a pack of dogs pounce on, kill and eat a medium size hog. Any way after it was over and we were able to climb down and head back to our camp we talked about what we'd seen. We'd seen basically the same thing, but our accounts varied wildly. Now if you'd had us all write down what we saw, you'd figure out that we'd seen pretty much the same encounter, but the Devil was in the details. Number of dogs, color of the hog, size, and the kill act.

A little fear, mix in some adrenaline, and you have the beginnings of a good story. I recall hearing an account of a friend of mine who'd gotten lost and encountered a bear. While remembering can completely true and accurate, accounts can chane with time.

#110    conspiracy buff

conspiracy buff

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

As with most mythological creatures, bigfoot may very well be a real creature that exists.  There have been tons of eyewitness accounts of similar bigfoot-like animals all over the world.  However, there is very little evidence for such a creature.  I don't believe all the eyewitnesses are making it up, we just haven't found the solid proof needed to verify such a claim.  The big piece of evidence needed is an actual body or the remains of a bigfoot that science can say, yep, it's a real creature that has remained unfound until now.  Proof is the key here and until there is solid proof, it's just a good mythological story.

There is a grain of truth in every conspiracy known to man, you just have to be intelligent enough to find it.

#111    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

View Postconspiracy buff, on 05 April 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

As with most mythological creatures, bigfoot may very well be a real creature that exists.  There have been tons of eyewitness accounts of similar bigfoot-like animals all over the world.  However, there is very little evidence for such a creature.  I don't believe all the eyewitnesses are making it up, we just haven't found the solid proof needed to verify such a claim.  The big piece of evidence needed is an actual body or the remains of a bigfoot that science can say, yep, it's a real creature that has remained unfound until now.  Proof is the key here and until there is solid proof, it's just a good mythological story.

Give Rick a minute.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#112    scowl

scowl

Photographic Phraud

• 4,072 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

View Postconspiracy buff, on 05 April 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

As with most mythological creatures, bigfoot may very well be a real creature that exists.

So "most mythological creatures" actually exist?

Wouldn't that disqualify them for being mythological?

#113    Night Walker

Night Walker

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

J.M. Smith

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

Posted Image

#114    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:05 AM

View PostNight Walker, on 05 April 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

Posted Image

Foots bake, toooo!?

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#115    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:08 AM

View PostEldorado, on 08 November 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

Are there gay bigfoots that are better groomed and smell nicer than the usual stinky ones?.... is summat I've been wondering.  Bigfoot with a quiff, that sort of thing.

Apparently there are.

Posted Image

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#116    ChewiesArmy

ChewiesArmy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

• When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. - Cherokee

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:30 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 05 April 2013 - 06:12 AM, said:

Ordinarily, I would agree with you. You sound like you can keep your wits about you and see with your rational eyes. What happens to a lot of people is they get pumped, adrenaline begins to flow and suddenly they've lost a little of their ability to see what's really there. I never will forget being out on a hike with a couple buddies and we had a very close encounter with a group of dogs who were chasing some Ferrel hogs. Needless to say it was an intense encounter and we all had to climb trees to get out of the danger zone. I will say it's incredible to watch a pack of dogs pounce on, kill and eat a medium size hog. Any way after it was over and we were able to climb down and head back to our camp we talked about what we'd seen. We'd seen basically the same thing, but our accounts varied wildly. Now if you'd had us all write down what we saw, you'd figure out that we'd seen pretty much the same encounter, but the Devil was in the details. Number of dogs, color of the hog, size, and the kill act.

A little fear, mix in some adrenaline, and you have the beginnings of a good story. I recall hearing an account of a friend of mine who'd gotten lost and encountered a bear. While remembering can completely true and accurate, accounts can chane with time.

Very good point. I understand that eyewitness accounts, especially under stress are very unreliable, but not every hunter, ranger, or even police offcer were under these conditions. Some were under very relaxed conditions in very open areas, and in daylight. They could all be lying, but doubtful. Not to mention, I would assume that the mannerisms of a Bigfoot are very different than a bears. Bears are quite clumsy and slow when walking on two feet and many acoounts describe how the animal stayed on two feet and were quite fast. Also, you all might have differed on color, number of dogs, and the size of the pig, but none of you wrote that an elephant was attacked by a pack of lions. You all recgonized the animals...just not the fine details.

I am skeptical about bigfoot, especially when somebody claims to have seen one outside of the plausible area, like outside the upper NW. But, I just think about all of the sightings, and how not everybody is looking for fame, and not every sighting was simply mistaken identity. Not to mention that there have supposedly been hair samples that have been tested for DNA with nothing matching.

"And how do you know God doesn't swear? Especially taking a good look at the human race, it must be a part of his daily ritual" -Lewis Black

#117    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

Both my friends who told me of their encounters with a Bigfoot, were both very calm about the actual encounter, at least in their cases fear, or possibly down right terror didn't settle in on them until after the fact, causing them both to give up hunting, hiking and trapping. In a way I can see it but also in a way I just don't get it. I do get fear very well, I can tell you some war stories that would curl your hair and I also understand about delayed reactions to a fearful situation. However, they just saw a creature, granted a rather elusive creature, but they weren't attacked by it, threatened by it, or even hit on by the gay Bigfoot, all they did was see it. I never was able to talk to either one of them in depth about the experience. I have often wondered why they were so effected by just seeing such a thing.

However, after having seen the way they reacted to their sighting, it's given me pause to wonder if this isn't the basis of the myth about Bigfoots having telepathy or super natural powers as in some of the legends of the NA peoples.

#118    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 3,914 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:39 AM

View PostChewiesArmy, on 06 April 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

Very good point. I understand that eyewitness accounts, especially under stress are very unreliable, but not every hunter, ranger, or even police offcer were under these conditions. Some were under very relaxed conditions in very open areas, and in daylight. They could all be lying, but doubtful. -  Not really.  If it were real, we may have 20X the sightings.   Not to mention, I would assume that the mannerisms of a Bigfoot are very different than a bears. Bears are quite clumsy and slow when walking on two feet and many acoounts describe how the animal stayed on two feet and were quite fast. Also, you all might have differed on color, number of dogs, and the size of the pig, but none of you wrote that an elephant was attacked by a pack of lions. You all recgonized the animals...just not the fine details.

I am skeptical about bigfoot, especially when somebody claims to have seen one outside of the plausible area, like outside the upper NW. - There are more sightings outside the upper NW than in the upper NW.  Also all through the world.But, I just think about all of the sightings, and how not everybody is looking for fame, and not every sighting was simply mistaken identity. Not to mention that there have supposedly been hair samples that have been tested for DNA with nothing matching. - You are confused.   That is the common Bigfoot enthusiast excuse.  In reality, it is that they could not identify the hair sample.

#119    conspiracy buff

conspiracy buff

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

View Postscowl, on 05 April 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

So "most mythological creatures" actually exist?

Wouldn't that disqualify them for being mythological?

No, I didn't say that.  What I did say is like most mythological creatures of lore and legend, there is a POSSIBILITY of their actual existence.  Please, if you are going to quote me, take the time to fully digest what it is that I actually said and not what you thought I did.  Go back and read my original post.  I never said all mythological creatures are real.  In fact, I said the opposite.  While there is a possibility for these creatures to be real, the burden is finding proof of them.  Which so far, has not been provided.  Hence, they are still classified as myths and legends until there is direct evidence for their existence.

Edited by conspiracy buff, 06 April 2013 - 06:44 AM.

There is a grain of truth in every conspiracy known to man, you just have to be intelligent enough to find it.

#120    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,117 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostNight Walker, on 05 April 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

Fascinating...
Not even half as fascinating as his encounter....  there are several aspects of it I'm intrigued with.

Edited by Stardrive, 07 April 2013 - 04:42 PM.

Posted Image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 1 anonymous users