Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Bigfoot: real or myth? -- Why? -- Why not?

• Please log in to reply
517 replies to this topic

#76    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,777 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

View Postscowl, on 01 April 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

The fossil record only represents a small percentage of species that have existed. Um, of course you, uh, should expect to see something from a species that just went extinct a few decades ago.

Or is seen all over the populated world thus requiring a breeding population in all of those places as well.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#77    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,221 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostNight Walker, on 31 March 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

It does not explain:

1) the complete lack of remains or fossil evidence
True, the fossil record is totally devoid of any bi-pedal primates that have occupied the planet in the past. So the very idea of such a creature being alive today is just crazy and unfounded.

2) why way more people claim Bigfoot sightings nowadays
Because now everyone wants to be on TV.

3) why the distribution of alleged sightings is much larger nowadays
See reason 2).

Posted Image

#78    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostFstop, on 01 April 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

People believe what they want to believe in.  Most people hold illogical beliefs of some kind.  Look at superstitions or beliefs in God.  There is no evidence to support those either, but people believe steadfastly in these things.  Bigfoot is no different.  As long as someone WANTS to believe - they will find a way - even if the way is to delude their own brain into thinking that all the guesswork surrounding Bigfoot is actually evidence.

bolding mine, QC

Fstop, you always know how to succinctly hit the nail perfectly on the head :tsu:
(that probably makes no grammatical sense, but you get what I mean)

#79    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

BigFoot Whisperer

• 2,993 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is knowing when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

Just a comment or two:

If BigFoot behaved like all other animlas, clearly your collective point about "no skeletal remains", "can never shoot one", etc etc would be perfectly valid.

Unfortunatley very few of us are willing to allow for the possibility that BigFoot has amazing abilities, such as, being able to transcend dimensions.

now, that's radical! :tu:

"I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I disagree with you" ~ Jeremy ~

#80    95-Nasty

95-Nasty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

• Mom and daddy said "the life that you've led
    You'll party you're way straight to hell"

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

This weekend gone, i have watched a lot of Bigfoot programs, and the problem i have is.... It seems like all photos, videos and sightings of Bigfoot are done/ seen during the day time. Why is it those so say 'experts' only ever do night investigations? They neve see of film it only ever hear noises!!! There are lots of strange noises in a forest at night!  If Bigfoot is some sort of primate, then woundnt it sleep at night?

The gods you worship are steel, at the alter of Rock 'n Roll youl kneel.

Long live, long live the King of Mercy.

#81    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,503 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

View Post95-Nasty, on 02 April 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

This weekend gone, i have watched a lot of Bigfoot programs, and the problem i have is.... It seems like all photos, videos and sightings of Bigfoot are done/ seen during the day time. Why is it those so say 'experts' only ever do night investigations? They neve see of film it only ever hear noises!!! There are lots of strange noises in a forest at night!  If Bigfoot is some sort of primate, then woundnt it sleep at night?
I find that amusing too.   They will go out with night vision goggles.   They will not be very stealthy.   They will hear a noise and talk of how it is from something unknown.   It's all entertainment.  They almost never return to the spot in the daytime.

#82    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,777 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostEarl.Of.Trumps, on 01 April 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

Just a comment or two:

If BigFoot behaved like all other animlas, clearly your collective point about "no skeletal remains", "can never shoot one", etc etc would be perfectly valid.

Unfortunatley very few of us are willing to allow for the possibility that BigFoot has amazing abilities, such as, being able to transcend dimensions.

now, that's radical! :tu:

And yet such a fantastical being can be caught standing on the side of the road with a GoPro strapped to the bumper of a redneck's pickup truck tear assing down the road.  Or gets caught on tape crawling around some old lady's backyard trying to steal Baby Ruths off of a stump.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#83    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

View Post95-Nasty, on 02 April 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

My opinion:
1. nighttime is spoookier
2. which makes nighttime a time when some people are more open to suggestion, provocation, and manipulation (even from their living rooms)
3. it's easier to "label" a sound or sighting or eyeshine/reflection when you can't actually see the source and neither can the audience
4. they don't want the viewers to see the cow patties and piles of horse manure etc everywhere (well, it's a thought lol)
5. they do do (doodoo) daytime investigations on the show as well and they are every bit as productive (huh? what?) as the night ones
6. *cue music*  and maaany moooore....

Edited by QuiteContrary, 02 April 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#84    pokingjoker

pokingjoker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

ty scowl i was just getting ready to state that the whole fossil record is moot. fossils are first rarely formed, yes we have lots of them but not all creatures die in an area able to create them. I believe simply there are creatures that did exist that we have simply no clue of, as proof simply does not exist. So with that logic why cant creatures exist today we still know nothing of.

#85    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,503 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

View Postpokingjoker, on 02 April 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

ty scowl i was just getting ready to state that the whole fossil record is moot. fossils are first rarely formed, yes we have lots of them but not all creatures die in an area able to create them. I believe simply there are creatures that did exist that we have simply no clue of, as proof simply does not exist. So with that logic why cant creatures exist today we still know nothing of.
Because it is reported to live in every country on the planet.  Its existence covers all the places that are conducive to creating fossils.
Also, fossils are not needed.   When we come across 50 years old human bones, they are not fossils.

#86    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

View PostEarl.Of.Trumps, on 01 April 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

Because why would a hairy ape-like animal be able to do such things unlike every other creature on the planet?

And if it could, why isn't it running this planet? It could use these abilities to be the most invincible thus most populous predator in nature.

#87    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

View PostMyles, on 02 April 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

Because it is reported to live in every country on the planet.  Its existence covers all the places that are conducive to creating fossils.
Also, fossils are not needed.   When we come across 50 years old human bones, they are not fossils.

It's likely we would have discovered bones or fossils that lead to the evolution of Bigfoot but none even hint at the evolution of a very large bipedal creature. It's unlike any other animal on Earth so its existence would be a huge anomaly.

#88    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

View Postscowl, on 02 April 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

It's likely we would have discovered bones or fossils that lead to the evolution of Bigfoot but none even hint at the evolution of a very large bipedal creature. It's unlike any other animal on Earth so its existence would be a huge anomaly.

The fossil record is inherently imperfect as only a very small percentage of organisms become fossilized, and it is likely that there are many species yet to be discovered.  I believe I heard this statement on a NPR broadcast but something along that all the fossils discovered would fit inside a large auditorium, and all the hominoid fossils would fit on a pool table.  There are indeed fossils that suggest that at least a few large primate species did exist; Lufengpithecus is thought to been over 45kg, Sivapithecus is another of approximately the same size as modern humans, and there were three Gigantopithecus species, one of which was about 3m in height and may have weighed upwards of 500kg.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#89    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,484 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:00 AM

And, of course, we shouldn't forget that in terms of evolutionary development, large size and stealth are mutually redundant.  Either you are small and stealthy so you can hide from predators, or you grow large and obvious so you don't have to hide from predators.

Bigfoot has absolutely no reason to fear man, considering that we haven't ever proven to be a danger to it.

#90    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,503 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostInsanity, on 03 April 2013 - 12:52 AM, said:

The fossil record is inherently imperfect as only a very small percentage of organisms become fossilized, and it is likely that there are many species yet to be discovered.  I believe I heard this statement on a NPR broadcast but something along that all the fossils discovered would fit inside a large auditorium, and all the hominoid fossils would fit on a pool table.  There are indeed fossils that suggest that at least a few large primate species did exist; Lufengpithecus is thought to been over 45kg, Sivapithecus is another of approximately the same size as modern humans, and there were three Gigantopithecus species, one of which was about 3m in height and may have weighed upwards of 500kg.
Forget fossils, we would have come across bones by now.
Google "bones found at construction site".   You'll find hundreds of cases over the past couple years where native american, mastodon and many other bones are found.   No bigfoot bones though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users