Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * - - 8 votes

The slenderman myth

myth

  • Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#166    Lesionia

Lesionia

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 188 posts
  • Joined:03 May 2012
  • Gender:Female

  • Evil is among us and opresses us, thats when we do good.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Actually slenderman was around in old Germany and around Europe also. It isnt the same name, but the same creature. Some agrue that he goes back as far as Ancient Egypt, but I will have to find the information later.


#167    Rafterman

Rafterman

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,011 posts
  • Joined:27 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 14 February 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:


So yeah, it's just an Internet meme created by one of the goons at Something Awful that has sprouted legs.  But a lot of people claim it's real with one of the dubious arguments being that because of the popularity of the Slender Man meme, demons or shadow people or whatever appear in that form because it is in the public consciousness.

Of course, all sorts of claims can be validated with that logic.  Elvis is really dead but ghosts or demons are appearing in Elvis form which explains the sightings.

I like that.  Using that logic, one could argue that there's actually only one demon and he/she changes their appearance to look like every single thing discussed in these forums.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#168    rashore

rashore

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,510 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Female

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostLesionia, on 19 February 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

Actually slenderman was around in old Germany and around Europe also. It isnt the same name, but the same creature. Some agrue that he goes back as far as Ancient Egypt, but I will have to find the information later.

Are you speaking of Der Grobmann? The tall man, a fariy of the Black Forest? Well, it wouldn't be the first time a wee folk legend got reinvented into a new category.


#169    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Joined:20 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male

  • Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Slenderman might have been built upon similar natural fears to the other spindly-limbed humanoids of legends past (like Grobmann mentioned above.) Whether or not its creators were familiar with those legends, I can't say. If they weren't, it might just be a coincidental appearance generated by the same fears in multiple cultures.

I'd say it could easily be a combined fear of spiders, snakes, octopi, squid, or other spindly beasts with the fear of strangers (who in the past would have either killed or raped you had they happened upon you at night) and the stretching nature of shadows.

Sorry this post wasn't very well worded. I'm having trouble organizing my thoughts today.

Posted Image


#170    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:twilight zone's outer limits

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:24 AM

View PostXetan, on 19 February 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

Slenderman might have been built upon similar natural fears to the other spindly-limbed humanoids of legends past (like Grobmann mentioned above.) Whether or not its creators were familiar with those legends, I can't say. If they weren't, it might just be a coincidental appearance generated by the same fears in multiple cultures.

I'd say it could easily be a combined fear of spiders, snakes, octopi, squid, or other spindly beasts with the fear of strangers (who in the past would have either killed or raped you had they happened upon you at night) and the stretching nature of shadows.

Sorry this post wasn't very well worded. I'm having trouble organizing my thoughts today.

It makes perfect sense, and it adds to the good points made by other people up-thread. It almost makes one think that Slender Man is some kind of unknown archetype. Like other people said, his legend came from past folklore and mythology. Like you said, his being is a combination of universal fears.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#171    Lesionia

Lesionia

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 188 posts
  • Joined:03 May 2012
  • Gender:Female

  • Evil is among us and opresses us, thats when we do good.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Ah finally something makes sense! thank you. Yes that would make sense. So the question is, is this entity the one projecting itself as people's fears, or are they projecting it onto the entity?


#172    Fstop

Fstop

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Joined:20 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostLesionia, on 20 February 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Ah finally something makes sense! thank you. Yes that would make sense. So the question is, is this entity the one projecting itself as people's fears, or are they projecting it onto the entity?

Neither.  There is no entity.  Thats the only explanation that makes any sense in the real world.  Its a combination of bull-$hit, pareidolia, and confirmation bias - all compounded by the gullibility of a generation that is increasingly unable to separate the real world from the one they spend so much time in while videogaming and movie-watching.

We don’t see things as they are. We see things as we are. – Anais Nin

#173    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Joined:20 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male

  • Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

I was going to like the post above mine, but someone has a few issues with fiction.

But yes, there is no Slenderman. It's nothing but a series of scary bed time stories originating from the Something Awful forums. About as real as Aaahh!!! Real Monsters! if you can remember that.

Posted Image


#174    Fstop

Fstop

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Joined:20 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostNathan DiYorio, on 20 February 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

I was going to like the post above mine, but someone has a few issues with fiction.

But yes, there is no Slenderman. It's nothing but a series of scary bed time stories originating from the Something Awful forums. About as real as Aaahh!!! Real Monsters! if you can remember that.

Now that was a cool cartoon.  I love fiction.  I can also tell the difference between it and reality.  Or at least I think I can......................

We don’t see things as they are. We see things as we are. – Anais Nin

#175    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

    Secret Jesus

  • Member
  • 2,809 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

View PostMAPip, on 17 February 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

I do not believe, for several reasons, that sleep paralysis can fully explain my experience. First and foremost, I was not paralyzed; I could freely move in my bed and turned to look around my room several times, which involved lifting my chest off of the bed using the power of my arm and back musculature. After observing the shadow and becoming filled with fear, I very physically buried my head in my pillow out of the disdain I held for my situation. I distinctly remember choosing not to flee. Intuitively, I understood my situation was dire and my only choice was to rule out this apparition as a normal shadow. After gazing about my room and finding no significant source of light able to project this image onto my wall, and confirming the image of the figure a second time, I felt helpless and began to resign myself to the apparent futility. When the second thought came into my mind and ordered that I pray, I physically made the sign of the cross before and after reciting the Our Father, which again required an activation of mutliple muscle groups to accomplish. Although sleep paralysis can occur as an acute, isolated episode, it is often associated with multiple events and other sleep disorders -of which, I have experienced none. In addition, I was not under the influence of sedatives, stimulants, or any other substance that would cause undue stress on my ability to sleep soundly. Frankly, that episode was the only time I had ever experienced such an event and it was the first time, to my conscious knowledge, that I had ever been exposed to the imagery present (shadow figure).
It may not have been sleep paralysis, but it definitely sounds like some sort of hypnopompic hallucination.  I know from experience as someone who regularly experiences strange things during the falling asleep and waking up that there is no one experience that everyone agrees on.  Sleep paralysis with a sense of fear or helplessness and with experiencing of seeing shadowy figures is perhaps the most common reported.  Perhaps because it is also the most strange and vivid also.   When I do experience odd waking up or falling asleep experiences (and I regularly do) they cover quite a big of ground from the truly frightening (full blown sleep paralysis accompanied with visual and auditory hallucinations, although sleep paralysis has gotten rarer and less intense as time goes by for me) to the quite enjoyable (vivid psychedelic shapes and patterns evolving and changing in weird ways) when falling asleep.

Note that although sleep paralysis (and related sleep phenomena) is often associated with other sleep disorders, that is not a given.  A quick Google search reveals that up to 60% of people report having had at least one experience of sleep paralysis and that only 6% have experienced it regularly.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#176    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

    Secret Jesus

  • Member
  • 2,809 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

View Postrashore, on 19 February 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

Are you speaking of Der Grobmann? The tall man, a fariy of the Black Forest? Well, it wouldn't be the first time a wee folk legend got reinvented into a new category.
Can anyone verify the existence of Der Großmann as German folk legend?

All stuff I could find on it was linked to Slenderman blogs, wikis, articles, etc.  There are pictures online claiming to be 16th century woodcuts from some dude called Franz Freckenburg, but 2 I quickly found out were photoshopped genuine German woodcuts by Hans Holbein.  On one, extra limbs were added to a skeleton figure and on the other, a skeleton was removed and a taller skeletal figure with multiple limbs was Photoshopped in.

There's also a Photoshopped image of Egyptian hierglyphics with a dark figure put in being claimed as ancient evidence of Slenderman doing the rounds on various sites, blogs, etc. related to Slender Man.

Original:
Posted Image

Photoshop:
Posted Image


From what I can gather, another of the Slender Man German woodcut pics has its origins in the same Something Awful photoshop thread as the original Slender Man pics, but can't be sure as the thread is old enough that the image no longer works, but a Google reverse image lookup sent me there.

It all sounds like a deliberate attempt to make Slender Man sound like an authentic ancient myth that has appeared since time immemorial in different forms and with different names.  And it's obvious that some people have fallen hook, line and sinker for it.

Edited by Archimedes, 20 February 2013 - 10:42 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#177    Fstop

Fstop

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Joined:20 Feb 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

View PostArchimedes, on 20 February 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:



It all sounds like a deliberate attempt to make Slender Man sound like an authentic ancient myth that has appeared since time immemorial in different forms and with different names.  And it's obvious that some people have fallen hook, line and sinker for it.

Brilliant post.  This slenderman dung stinks almost as bad as some of the conspiracy theories making the rounds these days.  Pure idiocy.

We don’t see things as they are. We see things as we are. – Anais Nin

#178    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:twilight zone's outer limits

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

View PostLesionia, on 20 February 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Ah finally something makes sense! thank you. Yes that would make sense. So the question is, is this entity the one projecting itself as people's fears, or are they projecting it onto the entity?

I don't think that there's a real entity. I think that the character is a new boogeyman. Its a collection of old and new fears in the guise of a sinister humanoid. It may be akin to an archetype.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#179    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Joined:20 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male

  • Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostFstop, on 21 February 2013 - 03:04 AM, said:

Brilliant post.  This slenderman dung stinks almost as bad as some of the conspiracy theories making the rounds these days.  Pure idiocy.

What is it with you and likening things to excrement?

Posted Image


#180    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:twilight zone's outer limits

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

View PostArchimedes, on 20 February 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:

Can anyone verify the existence of Der Großmann as German folk legend?

All stuff I could find on it was linked to Slenderman blogs, wikis, articles, etc.  There are pictures online claiming to be 16th century woodcuts from some dude called Franz Freckenburg, but 2 I quickly found out were photoshopped genuine German woodcuts by Hans Holbein.  On one, extra limbs were added to a skeleton figure and on the other, a skeleton was removed and a taller skeletal figure with multiple limbs was Photoshopped in.

There's also a Photoshopped image of Egyptian hierglyphics with a dark figure put in being claimed as ancient evidence of Slenderman doing the rounds on various sites, blogs, etc. related to Slender Man.

Original:
Posted Image

Photoshop:
Posted Image


From what I can gather, another of the Slender Man German woodcut pics has its origins in the same Something Awful photoshop thread as the original Slender Man pics, but can't be sure as the thread is old enough that the image no longer works, but a Google reverse image lookup sent me there.

It all sounds like a deliberate attempt to make Slender Man sound like an authentic ancient myth that has appeared since time immemorial in different forms and with different names.  And it's obvious that some people have fallen hook, line and sinker for it.

That was great work, Archimedes. I thought that Slender Man was nothing more than a modern urban legend, but I also thought that he could have been based on other folklore and mythology. Your investigation cast doubt on those links too. You demonstrated that we should proceed with caution when Jung is nowhere to be found.

There is one reality with billions of versions.





Also tagged with myth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users