Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 8 votes

The slenderman myth

myth

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#76    Erowin

Erowin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

• This is incredibly silly!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:11 AM

View PostDarkdemigod0, on 17 November 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

as for you i know he's real quit saying he's not that goes for all of you i bet  if you were me you would be super pissed if people kept on trying to disprove

alright you guys are now just trying to disprove my case any way possible , when i say i run and dont look back i try to look for one of my freinds and we look for a crowded place or i run home lock my house door then lock my room door and turn on a low source of light praying he wont come after me again that night. i dont hallicanite. i can see with perfect vision on my right eye but have poor vision on my left eye they have NEVER made me hallucanate alright?

A few years ago, on the Something Awful forums, they held a paranormal PHOTOSHOP contest. I've been on the original thread, I watched it happen. Victor Surge photoshopped a tall man in a suit into the background of old photos, and the point of this contest was to post your shops on paranormal websites and try to trick everyone that they were real. He named him 'Slenderman' and gave a little story about him stalking children. Everyone really liked it, and a trend started. Other people in the thread made their own and some added tendrils, ect. and soon there was lots of photoshops of him.

He became a MEME and people wrote creepypasta starring him, giving him more backstory. Then Marble Hornets decided to use him in their horror series and BOOM! Cultural phenomena was born. A game was made with him, people cosplay him in conventions. He is a product of the INTERNET.

I understand you are a troll, I'm not dumb. But I'm worried people who didn't see the phenomena unfold will think that this is some true thing. WHEN YOU CAN WATCH SLENDERMANS ORIGINS BY FINDING THE SA FORUM.

He is a fun urban legend that the internet created for itself, please don't make this a 'omg i think i saw slenderman yesterday!' sort of business.

#77    Lesionia

Lesionia

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 196 posts

• Our differences make us who we are.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

Yeah and thanks to him a demon latched onto that and a monster was created. In some sorts he isnt real, but the demonic part is VERY real. Slenderman actually does have a face, but I have not seen the body. I do suspect it is barklike, thin and long. So can this agruement end?

#78    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostErowin, on 26 November 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

A few years ago, on the Something Awful forums, they held a paranormal PHOTOSHOP contest. I've been on the original thread, I watched it happen. Victor Surge photoshopped a tall man in a suit into the background of old photos, and the point of this contest was to post your shops on paranormal websites and try to trick everyone that they were real. He named him 'Slenderman' and gave a little story about him stalking children. Everyone really liked it, and a trend started. Other people in the thread made their own and some added tendrils, ect. and soon there was lots of photoshops of him.

He became a MEME and people wrote creepypasta starring him, giving him more backstory. Then Marble Hornets decided to use him in their horror series and BOOM! Cultural phenomena was born. A game was made with him, people cosplay him in conventions. He is a product of the INTERNET.

I understand you are a troll, I'm not dumb. But I'm worried people who didn't see the phenomena unfold will think that this is some true thing. WHEN YOU CAN WATCH SLENDERMANS ORIGINS BY FINDING THE SA FORUM.

He is a fun urban legend that the internet created for itself, please don't make this a 'omg i think i saw slenderman yesterday!' sort of business.

(Applause)

Great post :)

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#79    graeylin13

graeylin13

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

Okay, it is an internet creation that many think may have been created as being real from the collective subconcious of those who originally created it and has grown stronger as others "believe" in it and has actually began to warrant serious study on how possibly many myths and legends are born. I'm not going to get into the whole is it real deal, because it is not. It has been proven to be an internet creation... that has actually grown in the telling and has some of the ... hmm, how to word this... thos emost susceptable to believe anything along these lines to believe it is real, though it's actual fictional creation has been documented.
   What does this mean? Some people will believe the "truth" about anything, even when it's actual creation point as a work of fiction has been proven and well documented... even worse, they will attempt to prove it is real in various ways. First by trying to see if it correlates with possible older myths and beliefs, then when that fails... by stating the subconscious of those involved actually brought it to life... which has evolve dto the point their are groups trying to theorise how to deal with it and fight it, even though it's mythos has no basis in current reality. Menaing, supposedly, the slenderman first would be seen haunting places children gathered and they'd suddenly start disappeareing... as seen in "photographic" evidence (photoshopped pictures to match the original storyline) .. it then grew into stalking others and hunting down and killing or making disappear those who had seen it... now it's to the point it is supposedly too powerful to kill and groups formed online to face it and fight it have suffered casualties and only actually wounded it once at the cost of two party members. Note the parties were based aroudn rpg parties and such, making one believe it may be one huge blog and internet rpg with those who come up with good enough ideas and such being involved in the main story and being wounded and/or killed off..substantiated by the fact their blogs and such usually stop being updated and such and a number of growing theories of how to fight and defeat him.
   Now, note every "victory" against him ha sbeen short lived with a disastrous confrontation afterwards.... and now even the entire cryptid and mysterious world is actually taking it serious in part, which is probably making the creators of the entire story laugh their butts off. It is not hoax, just started with a group of people online making up a new horror and it going from there... so any fall out on the cryptid and etc. community who believe it is real... will be well deserved. I haven't listed any sites or etc. about this..why? Google it and look into it back to the original creation and start from there.. it is a truly epic piece of work and deserves an award, acknowledgement, and study for what it has done.. and it is drawing some serious study to see how legends and such are born and may come to be believed as being real.
   Finally, sorry if this had rehashed anything anyone posted, but I've kind of kept up with this from the beginning because it is an actual awesome thing to keep an eye on.. some of the work involved is on par with  alot of the fiction online, but a huge part is actually top notch and very enetertaining the way those involve dtry to weave everything together as a whole from very different and varying sources.

#80    Emin

Emin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

I'll tell you exactly what slender man is............pointless spam.  :td:

I am an Emin of truth!

#81    Feebs

Feebs

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

• Imagination is more important than knowledge.
    Albert Einstein

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 16 November 2012 - 03:05 AM, said:

So what you are saying is.....you are so addicted to video gaming that you can no longer distinguish between reality and being in-game.  Wow.  What's that like?
i have a family member that does this with a certain game...he is now a very confused and sick individual its not good and his kids suffer due to it...i have seen him flip out a few times and speak as if surrounded by people from the game...normally a very sane man but on one of his turns he believes things are going to kill him and he hits out...very strange to think any game can do this to a semingly sane person x

as for slenderman i have seen the posts and photoshopped stuff and find it interesting but clearly a made up person x

Edited by Feebs, 06 December 2012 - 12:47 AM.

Posted Image

#82    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

View Postgraeylin13, on 05 December 2012 - 11:11 PM, said:

I've kind of kept up with this from the beginning because it is an actual awesome thing to keep an eye on.. some of the work involved is on par with  alot of the fiction online, but a huge part is actually top notch and very enetertaining the way those involve dtry to weave everything together as a whole from very different and varying sources.

Love your post and your enthusiasm on the subject and it has made me want to know more. If you have been following the story and how it is developing then would you be able to re-create that for us by posting the original links that allows us to follow it from the beginning as well? Perhaps even provide some commentary?

This is a great opportunity to observe how a myth is born, grows, and then even becomes "real" - gaining a life of its own well beyond the creators original spark; a great case study into the power and importance of our individual and collective imaginations.

And, if anyone is feeling somewhat mischevious, it would be interesting to see if we (as a UM collective) could even influence the Slender Man lore. To, in some way, affect how people experience the Slender Man...

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#83    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,181 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

View PostLesionia, on 26 November 2012 - 07:35 AM, said:

Yeah and thanks to him a demon latched onto that and a monster was created. In some sorts he isnt real, but the demonic part is VERY real. Slenderman actually does have a face, but I have not seen the body. I do suspect it is barklike, thin and long. So can this agruement end?
More ignorant garbage to feed the slenderman myth. Slenderman is completely fictional.

Edited by Rlyeh, 06 December 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#84    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Theres even erotic fiction about Slenderman.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#85    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 06 December 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

Theres even erotic fiction about Slenderman.

We need to create a Slenderwoman here in this thread.  I mean, no wonder Slenderman is so damn grouchy.  Hims ronery *awwwww*

#86    Lesionia

Lesionia

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 196 posts

• Our differences make us who we are.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 06 December 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

More ignorant garbage to feed the slenderman myth. Slenderman is completely fictional.

I have a friend that managed (as crazy as it sounds)to kill one and would disagree with you. My paranormal group is looking into him. All the information you have found is not true. He doesnt even (well similar) look like what people say he looks like. Has anyone heard of the trupila effect? My paranormal group is deeming it as a paranormal law. The "slenderman" is actually an old-time type of demon. What makes him unusual is his skill at having people believe in an image and that belief is his trap for his victims.

#87    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

View PostLesionia, on 07 December 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

Has anyone heard of the trupila effect? My paranormal group is deeming it as a paranormal law.

A tulpa is a thoughtform, or being created from the collective thoughts of separate individuals. Tulpas are theoretical in nature, although some semi-scientific research and studies were conducted in the area between 1960-1980. The Tulpa Effect is the name given to the unintentional creation of a tulpa based on collective belief of a being with similar traits.

In relation to Slender Man, the idea of intentional creation of Slender Man as a tulpa came as early as August of 2009, as the idea was first thrown around in the Something Awful forums. The idea is still carried today by some Slenderman-based communities, specifically Slender Nation, although the separate evolutions of the Slender Man creature has created varying beliefs, traits, descriptions, and actions, and no longer includes a single unified description of Slender Man from which a tulpa could be created.

Some have worries over the unintentional creation of a Slender woman tulpa due to the popularity of the mythos in present day. Core Theory centers around the idea that the Slender Man was created as a tulpa in such a way in the various ARGs, and acts as an in-game reasoning as to its existence. Others believe that the Tulpa Effect may have serious real-life repercussions with the creation of a real Slender Man.

http://theslenderman...he_Tulpa_Effect

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#88    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,369 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

If you believe in demons, which many here do I think (they are mentioned in the Bible), I think the demons will latch on to anything that will scare people, much like the creepy villain in "Dreamscape" (the movie).

Posted Image

#89    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:05 AM

View PostLesionia, on 07 December 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

I have a friend that managed (as crazy as it sounds)to kill one and would disagree with you. My paranormal group is looking into him. All the information you have found is not true. He doesnt even (well similar) look like what people say he looks like. Has anyone heard of the trupila effect? My paranormal group is deeming it as a paranormal law. The "slenderman" is actually an old-time type of demon. What makes him unusual is his skill at having people believe in an image and that belief is his trap for his victims.

Where do you guys come up with this crap?  Slenderman is the most striking example that gullibility is just freaking RAMPANT in the believer community.  Slenderman has been documented as a fake.  And seriously - Tulpas?  Another unsubstantiated load of horseS hit, concocted by the fringe community to explain ridiculous things.

If your friend says he killed Slenderman he is either bull$hitting you, insane, or as incredibly gullible as the rest of the people who actually think Slenderman is real.

#90    constantine_337

constantine_337

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 196 posts

• Love is the law of the universe. Hatred is a disease that kills nations.

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Slender was actually created on the "somethingawful" forum (http://forums.someth...hreadid=3150591) .

As for him being created via tulpa i think it may be possible but unlikely.
Reminds me of the story of Phillip experiment. http://www.time-loop...ment_Philip.htm

Posted Image

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.

Also tagged with myth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users