Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

What would people think of me?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

If you had fallen off a cliff and were hanging on for dear life, and I was standing on top of the cliff in a position to help.

I could stick my hand out and say, "take my hand and I will save you." or I could just reach down and grabb you and pull you up away from certain death.

What would you think of my if I just held my handout?

Isn't this what the Christian god does?

If I saw you go over a cliff, I would grab you. If I were god I would grab you before letting your soul die or go to hell or whatever  regardless of your feelings towards me.

Dosnt that make me more benevolent than the standard Christian god?

Edited by Seeker79, 08 November 2012 - 07:47 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#2    pukin Rainbows24-7

pukin Rainbows24-7

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 146 posts

• questions, questions everywhere

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

well some ppl go in a certain level of depression if someone says something but doesn't do it, I probably would think: ok if he isn't going to take action then I will leave my self to the faith and see what happens.

Posted Image

#3    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

I hope you would take my hand and help me. As i would you . I have come to the point in my life that if you like me that is good if you don't like me that is good too.

#4    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 08 November 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

If I saw you go over a cliff, I would grab you. If I were god I would grab you before letting your soul die or go to hell or whatever  regardless of your feelings towards me.

And this is what people need to be more like. I already know I'd do the exact same. Sometimes I think my self-preservation instinct shuts down when situations like this occur but meh.

Here's the thing would you think about it first or not?

#5    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

View PostJinxdom, on 08 November 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

And this is what people need to be more like. I already know I'd do the exact same. Sometimes I think my self-preservation instinct shuts down when situations like this occur but meh.

Here's the thing would you think about it first or not?
I don't think so, I have been in a few situations similar to that before, but I must admit I act differently now that I have three kids. Where as I might risk certain death before for another when I was young, now It would take a lot more for me to sacrifice my kids' father. I still react just more cautious. My role as a father is more important than my compassion for others.... Is that selfish?

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#6    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 08 November 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

I hope you would take my hand and help me. As i would you . I have come to the point in my life that if you like me that is good if you don't like me that is good too.
Exactly......

Bruce Lee-

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,977 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

I would try to save someone.  I couldn't watch someone die like that knowing there would of been something that I could of done.  I don't think I would get myself killed doing it though.

#8    Serpentine

Serpentine

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

You've missed an option out. :)

#9    Ehrman Pagels 1

Ehrman Pagels 1

Psychic Spy

• 1,473 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 08 November 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

If you had fallen off a cliff and were hanging on for dear life, and I was standing on top of the cliff in a position to help.

I could stick my hand out and say, "take my hand and I will save you." or I could just reach down and grabb you and pull you up away from certain death.

What would you think of my if I just held my handout?

Isn't this what the Christian god does?

Dosnt that make me more benevolent than the standard Christian god?
If I saw you over a cliff, I wouldn't grab you because I know my strength and a human body (dead weight) is that heavy (I know this because when my friend took his last breath, I grabbed him and he fell on top of me while I massively bumped my head on the brick ledge); however, if another person were around, I would definitely ask him or her to help me pull you up.

Benevolent or not, I don't see it in that context. First of all, my God(?) is not in this world. Second, reality is in-yer-face than the romantic notion of being a hero. Logic and self-preservation have nothing to with getting heavenly merit. I don't believe in brownie points. Reality is knowing the best action for a particular situation in that specific moment.

If you, for example, had died because of my lack of help (in this type of situation), I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Believe you me because again, I've already proven this to myself.

#10    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

I HOPE I would just react and pull you to safety with no thought of  anything to delay me.
I couldn't stand the thought of "why didn't I do something" for the rest of my life.

#11    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,322 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

I would do whatever I could save you.  More likely we would end up both falling off the cliff, but I got to try.  I not a Christian and it kind of annoys me when people assume when I do something nice for someone that I must be a Christian. I don't say anything most of the time. Somethings you just have to let go.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#12    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,170 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

I think a better metaphor is that famous "you can lead a horse towater but you csn't make it drink" one.
Jesus leads the way, God is the water and we choose whether or not to drink.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#13    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,036 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

interesting
it does seem like grabbing someone up would be more kind, but what if you caused more harm than good by rushing into a situation without assessing it first?  when push comes to shove (pardon the almost-pun) help is help.

#14    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:38 AM

I'd grab YOU, probably, but my ex,, maybe not. I might stomp on his hand, though, and say "oops!"

#15    Ehrman Pagels 1

Ehrman Pagels 1

Psychic Spy

• 1,473 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 09 November 2012 - 12:21 AM, said:

More likely we would end up both falling off the cliff, but I got to try.  I not a Christian and it kind of annoys me when people assume when I do something nice for someone that I must be a Christian.
Hi Darkwind,

If you knew your strength limitation, wouldn't that be a form of suicide on your part...?

Peace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users