Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

CIA director David Petraeus resigns

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,778 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

CIA director David Petraeus has resigned from his post, admitting he had an extra-marital affair.
In a statement, Mr Petraeus said he had submitted his resignation to President Barack Obama, and that he had shown "extremely poor judgement".
He described his behaviour as "unacceptable" for the leader of the nation's main intelligence agency.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20276610

"He described his behaviour as "unacceptable" for the leader of the nation's main intelligence agency."

Indeed. If he can't keep an affair secret, what hope is there for the nation's secrets :D

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 09 November 2012 - 11:20 PM.

#2    Amy the Mighty

Amy the Mighty

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

I am more surprised and amazed that this man has admitted his wrongdoing and resigned, than I am that he has cheated. In most cases of high-profile adultery, the only mea culpa we get is the qualified apology to keep a sponsor happy, after an initial period of denial.

Cheating on a partner is a horribly dishonest and disrespectful thing to do - and even more so if there are kids involved. But the fact that he's got the self-respect to apologise and to relinquish his position, shows a tremendous amount of balls.

#3    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

At least he is able to "Man Up" and admit his mistakes and act to get it over with. I can admire that.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#4    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

Too bad he couldn't 'Man Down' or whateva, and you know, NOT cheat on his wife. But sure, I guess losing your job because you told on yourself is good too.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

I think he is a low life for the cheating but at least he was man enough to admit it and apologize.  If he wants his marriage to get back on track he had better be making his wife feel like she is a goddess and living his life like an open book so she can at least get some trust back in him again.

#6    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,780 posts

• ראה

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

The FBI has known about this affair for a while. This resignation is very likely due to the Benghazi fiasco. It was, after all, largely a CIA run operation over there. Some would argue that it almost cost President Obama the election.

A conspiracy theorist might even suggest that they have a political agenda. I wouldn't know, but I do know that the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court should not, even in his wildest imagination, fear a spy agency.

If I were advising President Obama, I would suggest that his pick to replace General Petraeus, have the faith of a mustard seed, because spy agencies will be of little help to my country for what lies ahead. When the mountains are moved, the man he selects must fully understand why, and know that the solution is not, to attack Iran.

Edited by Raptor Witness, 10 November 2012 - 03:52 AM.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#7    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

Word on the internet is now that it was his Biographer, Paula Broadwell, that he was cheating with. What he did was WAY wrong, but look at what he had to deal with....

Paula....
Posted Image

Mrs Petraeus...
Posted Image

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#8    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 7,762 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

Posted Image

Look at these two, just being badasses....

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#9    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

If I was Obama I would firmly say, "Director Petraeus, NO, I will not accept your resignation."

#10    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,156 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

hang on, his Biographer? Does that not sound a little iffy in itself? The Chief Spook writing his Biography (or having it written for him) while he was still in office? :unsure2:

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#11    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Rich/powerful men cheating on his wife with a beautiful co-worker????  WHAT?? Shocking!!  (NOT!!)   If the Feds hadn't been all over him we would have never known, I don't call that honorable.  IMO Marriage is an outdated custom that does not work anyway so why do we still bother with it?

Edited by Idano, 10 November 2012 - 10:47 AM.

What could possibly go wrong?

#12    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,002 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

I don't see how his cheating has anything whatsoever to do with his professional positions.    That said,  i don't trust him professionally and  i hope he's done.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#13    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

View Postlightly, on 10 November 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

I don't see how his cheating has anything whatsoever to do with his professional positions.    

Agreed, it's a private matter between him and his wife, it has nothing to do with his job or anyone else.

It's funny how the public often regards people who hold high positions as being detached from the people they serve, out of touch, yet when they make the same mistakes that everyday people make then that's not good enough, time to go....what a weird world we live in.

#14    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

View PostHilander, on 10 November 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

I think he is a low life for the cheating but at least he was man enough to admit it and apologize.  If he wants his marriage to get back on track he had better be making his wife feel like she is a goddess and living his life like an open book so she can at least get some trust back in him again.
An ex CIA Director living his life as an "open book" is a big ask lol.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#15    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,778 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

Actually, after having time to think about the timing of this 'resignation', I think it's safe to assume that he was probably forced out. Raptor's post seems to be spot on - though I doubt it was only one incident that forced Obama's hand.

Forcing out the head of the CIA though? That's showing some real power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users