Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

World War Z - New Zombie flick

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

If I found my self in a zombie apocalypse I would try and go north. Just to see how these (slow) zombie dudes does in sub zero weather and 2 ft of snow. :tu:

and yes, I find the runners more scary than the walkers.

Edited by DBunker, 13 November 2012 - 12:44 AM.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#17    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

I finally saw this yesterday.  As a huge fan of the book, I was really disappointed that it strayed so far from the source material.  Although I do have to say that it was a pretty good movie, but there was a lot of missed potential in connecting it more closely with the book.

I understand that the original plan was for it to be a trilogy, but that was scrapped due to the production difficulties and rewrites.  But following its strong opening, a sequel was green lit and the trilogy is back on the table.  So perhaps we'll get to see something more tied in with the book in the next installments.

For anyone familiar with the book, I was left with the feeling that the movie should have been called World War Z:  The Great Panic as it's really a first hand account of the final, mass outbreak that took the world to the edge of oblivion.

And while I liked the ending, it was a bit "Hollywood" if you know what I mean.  But I can certainly see why they did it this way given the fact that they weren't sure a sequel was going to happen.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#18    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,987 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

I'm looking forward to this film.  I've not read the books so I can't say how closely it follows so I'll watch it on its own merits.  The idea of super-fast, super-agile zombies is something I haven't really seen before.  I haven't seen 28 days (or weeks) Later, so I can't say about agile zombies, but in traditional shambling zombie routines I've found it quite nail-biting just watching as hoardes of zombies surround you.  One zombie is easy to run away from, 200 zombies converging on your location, creepy as heck.  Even having zombies just lie on the ground mimicking dead bodies, and then suddenly animating as you step over them is creepy, not sure how that would compare to a race of super-soldier zombies.

With that said, probably the reason I'm watching this (apart from being a fan of Brad Pitt) is that it isn't a traditional zombie flick.  I'm not a fan of the shambling type of zombie films.  Having superhero zombies gives me the feeling of a more action-oriented flick than a blood-and-gore fest (though I'm expecting blood-and-gore along with the ride).

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#19    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 22 July 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

I'm looking forward to this film.  I've not read the books so I can't say how closely it follows so I'll watch it on its own merits.  The idea of super-fast, super-agile zombies is something I haven't really seen before.  I haven't seen 28 days (or weeks) Later, so I can't say about agile zombies, but in traditional shambling zombie routines I've found it quite nail-biting just watching as hoardes of zombies surround you.  One zombie is easy to run away from, 200 zombies converging on your location, creepy as heck.  Even having zombies just lie on the ground mimicking dead bodies, and then suddenly animating as you step over them is creepy, not sure how that would compare to a race of super-soldier zombies.

With that said, probably the reason I'm watching this (apart from being a fan of Brad Pitt) is that it isn't a traditional zombie flick.  I'm not a fan of the shambling type of zombie films.  Having superhero zombies gives me the feeling of a more action-oriented flick than a blood-and-gore fest (though I'm expecting blood-and-gore along with the ride).

I lean more to the shambling hordes myself, but I'm not a purist as some folks are.  I thought the WWZ zombies were interesting and a bit of a change of a pace from recent films.  FYI, in the book, they're shambling.

I will say this, if there ever is a zombie apocalypse, pray for slow zombies because the fast ones are pretty much unstoppable.

Edited by Rafterman, 22 July 2013 - 06:14 PM.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#20    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,269 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

in 28 days later they were not zombies!!!

#21    Sixth

Sixth

Poltergeist

• 2,311 posts

• Scientists get funky about having their research poached

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

Why even call this movie World War Z? Did the read the book? Did they care?

**** Hollywood. Ugh.

do your palms ever itch?

#22    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostThe Widow Funky, on 24 July 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

Why even call this movie World War Z? Did the read the book? Did they care?

**** Hollywood. Ugh.

Because Brad Pitt's production company bought the rights, that's why.

#23    Virot Maglan

Virot Maglan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

• "Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine." - Sir Arthur Eddington

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

Yea, the movie sort of started out as an adaptation but then they went through a few rewrites and (later) reshoots to change the ending.

Given that it's so far from the source material now, I would simply ignore any previous connection to the book. It's not a terrible movie either, fairly entertaining.

"Don't let your mind wander--it might not come back."

#24    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

Apparently the first write up, which was basically Brad Pitt travelling the world after the Zombie War getting accounts from survivors, much like the book, was described as Oscar worthy, then the money troubles began.

I didn't like the film but due to Pitt earning credit from me for Seven, Fight Club, Snatch and Jesse James; I dont judge the film too harshly.  Brad just runs around, the zombies run around and then it ends up in Cardiff, of all places (because the closest
Spoiler
is obviously in Cardiff, Wales).  The whole third act just didn't fit the style or pace of the first or second for me and i felt that to be incredibly jarring.

There were things I liked, for example, the...
Spoiler
...really well done, quite terrifying.

And the appearance of Peter Capaldi is always welcome.

Edited by Walter White, 24 July 2013 - 09:19 PM.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#25    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,987 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

Walter, I haven't seen the movie yet. Will clicking the spoilers ruin the film for me?

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#26    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 25 July 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

Walter, I haven't seen the movie yet. Will clicking the spoilers ruin the film for me?
They wouldn't have spoiled the film for me but then I'm not fussed by spoilers.  I'm not sure about other people mind so I hid them just to make sure.

:)

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#27    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,987 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

Ok, thanks. Part of that was actually "spoiled" in the adverts I'd seen, so they didn't really affect me. Not sure when I'll see it (moving houses, ATM), but I'll see it sometime, I'm sure.

Posted Image

#28    The___Piper

The___Piper

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 141 posts

• Give a man a fish, feed him for a day, but TEACH a man to fish and feed him for life.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:07 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 22 July 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

in 28 days later they were not zombies!!!

Maybe not in the traditional sense of being undead, but mindless killing machines they definitely were.

#29    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

WWZ KICKED BUTT....It was awesome.... for a zombie flick.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#30    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

After seeing the movie, I most say this is the best Z movie I have ever seen in my life. Finally a good story, not the usual already seen survival story (seen one seen them all) . A UN agent goes around the world interviewing people.  He dont try to avoid trouble, or sneek and hide as we see in 99% of all Z movie (from night of the living dead to dawn of the dead 2004) he go straight into the middle, he demands it. Wonderfull, this movie, is actually a revolution of this (un) dead genre. I really hope that a stream of movies comes out of this new way to see a Z apocalypse. Because frankly in tired of the to much used story of few strangers/friends who try to survive the apocalypse going to one safe place to another. Enough with the hiding. Lets get out and fight.

But the movie is not without flaws. There actually far to many in my opinion. And some scenes are utter useless. Beside, it has little in common of the book (no battle of Yonkers...come on guys) but to be fair a accurate cinematographic version of the book a TV-show or mini serie is obligatory. The movie is simply inadequate. The mistake the producers did was to use the same name of the book, and on this I agree. Inspired from the book would have been much better. How can you put in the film everything from the Chinese doctor to the battle of Yonkers to the south African plan, the great panic and the reconquista? You cant. Its impossible, even in a triology so a tv show or nothing.

If you read the book, forget all about it, watch the movie, enjoy for what it is. Because its spectacularly  entertaining.

Edited by ~C.S.M~, 29 September 2013 - 06:16 PM.

Finally got my black belt....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users