Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Universe Is Almost Done Making Stars

stars universe

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,590 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

In its youth, the universe was a roiling soup of star ingredients, with new stars forming rapidly. But now it’s much quieter, and things are not expected to get more exciting anytime soon, astronomers say.

For the first time, astronomers have figured out the universe's star-birth rate, and found that today, it's 30 times lower than its likely peak some 11 billion years ago. As a result, all of the future stars may be no more than a 5 percent increase above what we’ve got now.

http://www.popsci.co...ly-any-new-ones

Posted Image

#2    Old Man Waffles

Old Man Waffles

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

What would happen if all the stars die? would we all die

#3    Pupp3t

Pupp3t

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

• "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds", verse 32 from chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

If the stars DID die, wouldn't we experience the burst of super-novas at once? Or extruciating pain from black holes?

#4    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Our time is as short as a life of a bubble compared to universal scale.

#5    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,168 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

View PostOld Man Waffles, on 10 November 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

What would happen if all the stars die? would we all die
You'd be long dead anyway.

#6    Old Man Waffles

Old Man Waffles

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 10 November 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

You'd be long dead anyway.
Phew! *wipes sweat off forehead*

#7    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,580 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

How long have we got ?.I must put the kettle on if I have time.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#8    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

Waspie, this is kind of unexpected isn't it? Nova redisperse matter and gas for new star creation. I can see some fall off from the "beginning" but they seem to be saying more than that. Expansion of the universe spreading matter too far apart...but near black holes (and those at the center of galaxies) new star creation is happening quicker because of all the matter available.

Edited by ninjadude, 10 November 2012 - 07:28 PM.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#9    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

View Postninjadude, on 10 November 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

Waspie, this is kind of unexpected isn't it?
No, it's absolutely what you would expect. Entropy means that the system of recycling material into more stars simply must break down eventually. No system can remain in equilibrium forever.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#10    Briggstan

Briggstan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

This is very interesting, could there be qualities we don't understand yet that could make the universe exist longer than we can predict? I imagine our sun exploding would be one thing, but what about black holes do they exist forever?

#11    Pyridium

Pyridium

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:19 AM

Think about this.  Based on the numbers supplied in the OP, there are about 100 times as manty stars in the universe whose light has yet to reach us.  I agree that we have reached the peak in star formation, but we have yet to receive the light from trillions of stars born in the past several milion years.  What you see at night is 1% of the light that is headed our way.  If we could magically flip a switch and "see" these stars, our night sky would be solid white with stars light.

We are 14 billion years away from the big bang.  Draw a line from here to the point of the bang.  This is the radius.  We can only see half of our half of the universe in a 90 degree spread from the point of the bang to where we are now.  We will never see the light generated from the other side of the universe, or other side of the big bang.

I believe big bangs happen all the time.  Our big bang occured at the same time as another big bang, 15 billion light years away.  It will still take 1 billion years before we can see the light from this "other' universe.  Rest assured, if humanity survives the death of our universe, we will just find a new, younger universe to move to...lol.

#12    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

I wanna name a star Bling, do I have time?  :lol:

#13    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

View PostBling, on 11 November 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

I wanna name a star Bling, do I have time?  :lol:
You have time, but not the right. Only the International Astronomical Union get to name stars. All those companies that take peoples money to name stars are just conning people as those names have no official recognition.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#14    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

they just added another thing to worry about with all the doomsday crap. If nothing happens at the end of the year we should sue all the fear mongers........  !  We have nothing to worry about since our life time is less than a blink of an eye in the universe.

Edited by minera, 11 November 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#15    sergeantflynn

sergeantflynn

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

• WHY WORRY ?

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

What ? No more new stars in 11 Billion years time ? How are we supposed to manage then ?  I`ll just have to look at the moon . Boring .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users