Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Madagascan Man-Eating Tree

venus flytrap man-eating tree dionaea muscipula madagasca

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 12 November 2012 - 02:51 AM, said:

Sounds awesome. All different or do you have a preference in your collection? Tell us about it. Any pics?
Just watch out for fast growing hungry one in the corner. :P

Mostly all different. Look up my screen name in Google images. Euphorbia is just one of many genera from the succulent world and one of my favorites. I have about 60 different species of Euphorbia alone......

BTW, the plant everyone knows as Poinsettia is actually Euphorbia pulcherrima.

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#17    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,833 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

View PostEuphorbia, on 12 November 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

Total hoax!

As a collector, I have about a thousand plants at my house, many from Madagascar. Not only does this species not exist, the genus doesn't exist either. If this plant actually existed, it would be a well known plant and places like the Huntington Botanical Gardens in southern California, and the Kew Gardens in London would have one in their collections.

http://www.museumofh...e_of_madagascar

Indeed. some plants however do consume small mammals such as rats. I was pretty surprised at that. A man eating tree is quite a step up though.

Do you have any pictures of your garden online? Quite a green thumb myself, so I like to think. I'd love to have a look at your garden.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#18    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,833 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 11 November 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

When you can't dazzle them with an actual specimen of a plant that ate a human - make sure to distract them with breasts.

And that wins. Every time. :tu:

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#19    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 11 November 2012 - 09:02 PM, said:

I recall reading this story before, I doubt theres any truth to it and I thought the biggest animal a plant could eat was at most a rat. Interesting though ever see the movie The Ruins :w00t:

Movies good, book is much better.  The movie goes to show it can be a vine instead of one BIG plant.. :unsure2:

What could possibly go wrong?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users