Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Charity at the Supermarket

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Ok, Charity organisations are necessary. They do a lot of good and benefit the needy.
That being said.... on the lead up to Christmas, my local Supermarket have people from different charity organisations standing at the checkout tills, with a bucket for your money gifts, who pack your grocieries.
Grand if you want someone else to pack your bag of potatoes on top of your eggs.
That's neither here nor there really, you can always look like a dork and say "no thanks, I'll pack my own" and be noticed by everyone else in the queue as being a ****.

Thing is, today before I could say jack rabbit the girl started packing my grocereies. When I went to throw some change into "the bucket" I noticed (the label was obscured before) that the "Charity" was for a Bible College (whatever that is).

I gave them 10pence instead of the usual one pound coin. Outside there was a Romanian woman sitting on a stool saying "hello" to all who passed her. I offered her a pound coin for her Homeless magazine one day and she refused to give me it, of course, I couldn't understand what she was saying. a few days later I saw her walking along the road cigaretee in hand with another woman and some children who had very expensive looking Scooters, the ones that are currently fashionable.

Am I getting to the point where I no longer care!? I hope to God not!! But after the Supermarket Bible thumpers, I'm afraid the Romanian lady got zilch.

Am I alone with this feeling of BOMBARDMENT from people asking me for money??

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

The Bible college? is this something to do with the Vatican? I know Italy are having a few financial problems but this is getting silly. As for the Romanian, well thats old news, they have been doing this for years, how do you think they are so rich?!

Edited by freetoroam, 11 November 2012 - 05:36 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    lsra

lsra

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 145 posts

• Someday we'll look back at this and plow into a parked car.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

We have this where I live, not actually in the grocery stores, as they aren't allowed by management, but outside.  A lot of times it is the Salvation Army, which I always give to.  We also seem to constantly have groups of people with buckets at intersections knocking on car windows asking for donations.  It seems like a never ending bombardment. I don't want to be uncharitable, but if I have never heard of your charity, sorry, I'm not giving.  My budget is extremely tight right now and I like to know exactly where my money is going.

#4    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

View Postlsra, on 11 November 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

We have this where I live, not actually in the grocery stores, as they aren't allowed by management, but outside.  A lot of times it is the Salvation Army, which I always give to.  We also seem to constantly have groups of people with buckets at intersections knocking on car windows asking for donations.  It seems like a never ending bombardment. I don't want to be uncharitable, but if I have never heard of your charity, sorry, I'm not giving.  My budget is extremely tight right now and I like to know exactly where my money is going.
My thoughts exactly Isra, but in the jussle and bussle of the day you don;t always get a chance to enquire after the Charity that is being collected for, let's face it even if you do the chances are you will be left feeling like you are arguementive or just plain "outcast" cause everyone gives, so giving a few pence just shuts everyone up and you are seen to be normal and with the crowd.

Posted Image

#5    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

I'll admit, I'm quite jaded from charities, I don't donate, I don't put money in their buckets, I don't hand out cash to people who look like they need it. I do donate my time to these charity organizations, but never my money.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#6    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

View PostHasina, on 11 November 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

I'll admit, I'm quite jaded from charities, I don't donate, I don't put money in their buckets, I don't hand out cash to people who look like they need it. I do donate my time to these charity organizations, but never my money.
Hi Hasina, I get you girl. We have a system at my work, where you can have a percentage of your wage tranferred to a charity of your choice, surely that is the way to go, those who don't earn a wage shouldn't be begged from.

Posted Image

#7    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

I was once chased by a lady from one of the "give a turkey for thanksgiving" charities outside a walmart. This was at a point in my life when money was incredibly tight, and I couldn't afford a chicken for dinner let alone a turkey for someone else. She kept badgering me... think of the children who won't have a thanksgiving dinner this year.. spread some joy.  I finally rounded on her angrily and explained to her than I just bought my kids socks on clearance at walmart because it was all the money I had and they had no socks. She just kinda faltered to a stop then walked back to her spot in front of the store.

I don't feel pressured to give to all these collectors. Just tell them that I already give to charities of my choice and move on.

Embrace the impossible.

#8    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,273 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Carry a roll of pennys around with you.   Give the bare minimum, if you really want to annoy them. :innocent:

I have no problem saying no to any charity if I don't agree or understand what they are doing with the money collected.  Lucky for me - there are other stores in town where I can buy food.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#9    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

15p in the pound on average actually goes to the charity....you`d thing if people want us to give money , then they could give their time for free!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#10    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

a little off subject, but what really annoys me is when a someone, generally a teenager, comes up to me and says "have you got a spare cigarette?"
SPARE?
The other day I said to one of them "do you have a spare iphone I can have?" he looked at me confused, huffed and walked off.

#11    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostPurplos, on 11 November 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

I was once chased by a lady from one of the "give a turkey for thanksgiving" charities outside a walmart. This was at a point in my life when money was incredibly tight, and I couldn't afford a chicken for dinner let alone a turkey for someone else. She kept badgering me... think of the children who won't have a thanksgiving dinner this year.. spread some joy.  I finally rounded on her angrily and explained to her than I just bought my kids socks on clearance at walmart because it was all the money I had and they had no socks. She just kinda faltered to a stop then walked back to her spot in front of the store.

I don't feel pressured to give to all these collectors. Just tell them that I already give to charities of my choice and move on.

That must have been really embarrassing having someone come after you. People begging in the street, is one thing but someone standing there packing your bags in the Supermarket is something else. I think I am going to make a real show of myself one of these days and lose it! Hopefully I will get a round of applause from the other shoppers and not a resounding boooooo!

Posted Image

#12    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 11 November 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

Carry a roll of pennys around with you.   Give the bare minimum, if you really want to annoy them. :innocent:

I have no problem saying no to any charity if I don't agree or understand what they are doing with the money collected.  Lucky for me - there are other stores in town where I can buy food.
Thanks little_dreamer, that's actually a REALLY good idea!

View Postfreetoroam, on 11 November 2012 - 06:11 PM, said:

a little off subject, but what really annoys me is when a someone, generally a teenager, comes up to me and says "have you got a spare cigarette?"
SPARE?
The other day I said to one of them "do you have a spare iphone I can have?" he looked at me confused, huffed and walked off.
You're lucky you weren't mugged!

Posted Image

#13    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

I find it's not only charities that 'mug' you in Sainsburys in Ashford. Members of staff ambush you from behind the cheese counter, waving very technical-looking ipads/tablets/whatever-you-call-em-thingies in your face, and try to sell you their own brand of gas and electricity which, they assure you, if it was any cheaper they'd be paying you to use it!

I find the best way of dealing with such an approach is to dribble a bit, and do a little, skippy dance whilst singing an off-key version of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. (Alternatively - reach for their throats, muttering "The voices - for God's sake stop the voices!!!")

Posted Image

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#14    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

I never give to people touting for money in the street. Most will be wearing a badge for their said charity, how many of you actually look at it, read it and then check its ligit?
And why do they not give you a receipt for the money donated?
How can you possibly keep a tag on how much they actually give to the charity....if any at all!!!

#15    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,794 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Just lately there's been one charity after another inside Tesco supermarket every week it feels like.. I don't mind when I can see who the charity is and do usually drop something in their bucket. What annoys me a little is that sometimes there'll be more than one person collecting and they'll stand either side of you blocking the doorway so you can't avoid them if you want to get out of the store. It's all done to make you feel guilty enough so you'll give them something.

Another thing I'm not too keen on, like Misty already said, is when they stand at the check-out waiting to pack your groceries for you with a big bucket sitting there for you to drop something in it as a 'thank you' for their help. I don't want their help, thank you! but I can't get through check-out any other way. It's usually the boy scouts or cubs who do that here to raise money for themselves.

On a side note, and I might be wrong here, I don't think anyone collecting money is allowed to thrust the collection box under your nose so to speak. I'm sure I heard somewhere that it's against the law now in Britain. All they're allowed to do is stand and hold the box and be seen. Maybe someone can confirm this? Like I said, I might be wrong.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users