Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Charity at the Supermarket

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,671 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 11 November 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

Just lately there's been one charity after another inside Tesco supermarket every week it feels like.. I don't mind when I can see who the charity is and do usually drop something in their bucket. What annoys me a little is that sometimes there'll be more than one person collecting and they'll stand either side of you blocking the doorway so you can't avoid them if you want to get out of the store. It's all done to make you feel guilty enough so you'll give them something.

Another thing I'm not too keen on, like Misty already said, is when they stand at the check-out waiting to pack your groceries for you with a big bucket sitting there for you to drop something in it as a 'thank you' for their help. I don't want their help, thank you! but I can't get through check-out any other way. It's usually the boy scouts or cubs who do that here to raise money for themselves.

On a side note, and I might be wrong here, I don't think anyone collecting money is allowed to thrust the collection box under your nose so to speak. I'm sure I heard somewhere that it's against the law now in Britain. All they're allowed to do is stand and hold the box and be seen. Maybe someone can confirm this? Like I said, I might be wrong.
I think all charities of such are scams...and I don't give money to scammers....I do however often give money to people on the street that I know need it...and who aren't even asking for anything.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#17    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,514 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

joc, any chance of helping out a man who is homeless, cheeseless and has just had his van repossessed?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#18    joc

joc

• 12,671 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 11 November 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

joc, any chance of helping out a man who is homeless, cheeseless and has just had his van repossessed?
:yes: Absolutely...

...the need is great on the street...people can say whatever they want to about the Homeless...I just help them when I can.  I keep in mind the old saying, I complained because I didn't have any shoes until I met the man who had no feet.  There are always people who have more than we do and there are always people who have less...and then there are those among us who have nothing.  Help feed the homeless...one person helping one person...it changes nothing...except the hunger in one of their stomaches.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#19    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,454 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

We call people like that "Chuggers" here, Charity Muggers.
I've no time at all for them or their even more vile cousins the prats in costumes who nine-times-out-of-ten get verbal with you when you say "sorry, no cash" or just follow you.
People selling the Big Issue? Give me an issue, here's you $5. Homeless asking for handouts? Here's some change. Buskers? here's what's left in my wallet. Chuggers? "Sorry mate, no change left".

#20    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,137 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

I dont give to any charities at the grocery store or on the streets. When approached I just say thank you, not today.

If your local market has these charity pushers inside the store, at the check out counter and you're suppose to pay them to bag your groceries... I'd make an ass of myself and say thanks I'll bag my own and then make sure I do it VERY slowly. The market management needs to understand that virtually no one likes to be extorted for money.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#21    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,550 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

It's usually the boy scouts or cubs who do that here to raise money for themselves.

This kind of thing annoys me to no end. When kid's groups, school or church groups stand around BEGGING to raise money for themselves. What happened to bake or craft sales, car washes, flea markets or putting on some kind of show, concert or exhibit. DO something to earn money for your group, don't just stand there begging.

Embrace the impossible.

#22    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

I hate being approached and emotionally blackmailed by these charity folk. I've heard collectors say as I walked past them 'would you like to help a child with cancer?' - well of course I would!!! but wording it like that makes you feel guilty if you don't contribute. I do my bit for charity, in my own time, in my own way, and I think it's unnecessary to bombard me, and vain to talk about it. I do not contribute to anyone rattling a bucket at me, I am glad they get the satisfaction from doing this with their spare time, but I won't feel cornered by these collectors.

Edited by Bling, 11 November 2012 - 11:50 PM.

#23    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Some really good points here like Bling saying the collectors get satisfation from their "good deed for the day" and Purplos saying if the collection is for an organisatin why can't they hold a craft sale or do something like a car wash to raise money.
Joc too, I am with you in giving directly to those on the street who obviously need help.

I am feeling much better that I'm not turning into some hideous outcast from society, i't really nice to know others feel as I do about the way we are faced with the buckets at the supermarket stores.

Still Waters pointed out something which is true at my local stor too, once you've got past the check-out counter there are often two more people with buckets standing by the exit door, they pile on the guilt with a trowel.

Edited by Mistydawn, 12 November 2012 - 08:28 PM.

Posted Image

#24    joc

joc

• 12,671 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 12 November 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

Some really good points here like Bling saying the collectors get satisfation from their "good deed for the day" and Purplos saying if the collection is for an organisatin why can't they hold a craft sale or do something like a car wash to raise money.
Joc too, I am with you in giving directly to those on the street who obviously need help.

I am feeling much better that I'm not turning into some hideous outcast from society, i't really nice to know others feel as I do about the way we are faced with the buckets at the supermarket stores.

Still Waters pointed out something which is true at my local stor too, once you've got past the check-out counter there are often two more people with buckets standing by the exit door, they pile on the guilt with a trowel.

I have the solution!

Next time you go to the grocery store...carry a bucket of your own.   Just think, if everyone in the supermarket had a bucket...it would confuse the Donation Scammers them to no end!

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#25    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Anyone who rattles a bucket at me, I look the other way..   I donate to my own charities..   I cannot stand anyone  shoving their hand into my face  begging, so I feel the same with a bucket.. it is annoying ..

On the other hand,  if there are scouts  or other kids bagging groceries, I love the help...So I will pop some loose change into their collection buckets, only because they are doing something useful...

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#26    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,913 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

i donate to one charity regularly, and that is the salvation army. it has nothing to do with their religion. it has to do with their loving beautiful helping souls.
i also make a point to shop in two other thrift shops in town - one is for the city mission and the other is a hospice.
i do not donate to medical causes, nor do i donate to political causes.

JGirl's official tune of the day - hear it here!

Posted Image.. but as for this house of cards you are building..  a butterfly fart would knock it down.

#27    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,137 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Oh, and I always tip good street performers. They're working their tail off... I stopped to enjoy them, so they get my bucks.

Homeless people don't get my money but they might get my sandwich, a bus pass, or my soda, or anything thing else I'm carrying that they might need except money. I even once gave a spare cell phone to a homeless woman so she could dial 911 if necessary. (it didn't work for anything other than calling 911 though).

The only charities I give money to are the ones I research fully and know exactly how their funds are distributed. I have two favorite charities that get my money. One is a homeless shelter for teens and young adults predominately coming out of the foster system, the other is for uncompensated care at a local childrens hospital. For other charities whose cause I might feel strongly about, I may make silent auction donations of handcrafted jewelry that fetch a good price. I'm happy to donate my time and supply costs and frankly I get exposure from that as a local artisan as well.

I do not give to national, international or foreign charities. It's just not what I do, although if others would like to, that's their choice. I keep it local baby. Oh, and I will buy Girl Scout cookies. I was a Girl Scout, I liked the organization and learned a lot from it, and let's face it... those cookies are damn delicious. LOL.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#28    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,913 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

as for supermarket charities. we don't have the actual people canvassing, the checkout gals ask if you want to donate to whatever cause they are promoting at that time. it's currently breast cancer (it always seems to be breast cancer now everywhere ya go...)
the one thing i do donate to at the supermarket is the food bank bin.  they even have preselected items together in a package you can buy and put in the in as you go through the check out if you don't want to have to decide what to put in.

edit to try and fix the font size issue. what's up with that anyway?

Edited by JGirl, 12 November 2012 - 09:56 PM.

JGirl's official tune of the day - hear it here!

Posted Image.. but as for this house of cards you are building..  a butterfly fart would knock it down.

#29    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,803 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

Read through this thread earlier and decided to come back to comment. Forgive my laziness, but I can't be bothered with looking for the one who said that the Scouts should be out doing something to raise their monies. I agree with this 100%! I was in the Girl Scouts for most of my childhood. For us, it was all about the cookie sales. My brother was in the Indian Guides and later the Boy Scouts. For them it was popcorn and something else. When I lived in California, during the Spring and Summer (school was year round for most of the schools in the area I lived in) there were car washes galore. I know this may sound a bit self-centred, but I find it easier (?) to donate if I get something in return... cookies, a nice tin of popcorn, my car washed, etc. I, too, avoid donating to most causes; even when the Children's Miracle Network fundraises at various shops around town. Why? Because I give three hours of my time to the local hospital every Friday. Sometimes more is given if there's a special event I can make it to. I think giving of your time is cheaper for those with budgetary limits, too.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#30    joc

joc

• 12,671 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 12 November 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

Read through this thread earlier and decided to come back to comment. Forgive my laziness, but I can't be bothered with looking for the one who said that the Scouts should be out doing something to raise their monies. I agree with this 100%! I was in the Girl Scouts for most of my childhood. For us, it was all about the cookie sales. My brother was in the Indian Guides and later the Boy Scouts. For them it was popcorn and something else. When I lived in California, during the Spring and Summer (school was year round for most of the schools in the area I lived in) there were car washes galore. I know this may sound a bit self-centred, but I find it easier (?) to donate if I get something in return... cookies, a nice tin of popcorn, my car washed, etc. I, too, avoid donating to most causes; even when the Children's Miracle Network fundraises at various shops around town. Why? Because I give three hours of my time to the local hospital every Friday. Sometimes more is given if there's a special event I can make it to. I think giving of your time is cheaper for those with budgetary limits, too.
I make an abrupt U-turn whenever I see GS Cookies!

Posted Image

ReverbNation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users