Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Texas FORMALLY requests secession

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#181    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,131 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

View PostBriggstan, on 14 November 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

They'll have to deal with counter revolutionaries if they want to secede, I'm from Texas and I'd fight for the north.

I don't think that, should some of these jokers actually succeed, there will be a clear war North/South. What is left of the Union can simply wait until those, where secession has a chance, degrade to 3rd world status (which is not very difficult as most of them depend on one or more pork barrel from Washington for their subsistence) and then dictate them any humiliating terms to be accepted again and they would take it.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#182    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,458 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

Maybe they should put all the people who want to seceed in one state, and then remove the state from the union on the same day they admit Peurto Rico, that way the flag stays the same.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#183    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,131 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 14 November 2012 - 11:04 PM, said:

Maybe they should put all the people who want to seceed in one state, and then remove the state from the union on the same day they admit Peurto Rico, that way the flag stays the same.

Lol.

But the way I remember Puerto Rico if the rest secedes they'll just pursue their favored dream: Nationhood (big error, but if they want it they should get it). Just hope they don't pass the same kind of funny laws other nations decided on their independence. I got a farm to loose there.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#184    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,725 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

How about everyone secede from my country except for myself (obviously) and a handful of Victoria Secret models of my choosing. I'd be cool with that.

#185    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:26 AM

View PostWoIverine, on 15 November 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

How about everyone secede from my country except for myself (obviously) and a handful of Victoria Secret models of my choosing. I'd be cool with that.

I love this idea.  Let's do this.

Also, and completely unrelated, I'll volunteer to stay around and help out with odd jobs.

#186    me-wonders

me-wonders

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

I wonder if those who signed to separate from the US figured out what that would do to their Social Security and Medicare?

#187    Shayde

Shayde

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:52 AM

This does sound a lot like: "Wah! I'm not playing with you any more 'cos the wrong lot won!!"   Plus has anyone done any sort of check to even see if any of the various states asking for this could actually be able to fund such a breakaway? Also, has anyone also considered the idea that if any of the States do decide or are permitted to leave the US, and go it alone, they might have to say bye bye to any sort of federal funding they may currently get? After all, it wouldn't be right for them to get handouts from the States remaining in the union.

Edited by Shayde, 15 November 2012 - 06:53 AM.

#188    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Non gender specific

• 25,677 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

View PostStardrive, on 14 November 2012 - 09:46 PM, said:

True that 7's. Finding a balance is difficult, to say the least. I think it was the tone used after the election that was the turn-off. Best described as haughty, or arrogant. With the race being so close, it would have been best for them to enjoy the win and leave it at that.
Oh, very much agree there. There does seem something rather evangelical about him, and some of his admirers. "Now we can promise Hope and Change!" Well, you didn't manage to deliver Hope or Chnage last time, mr. O, what makes you think you're going to be able to now?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#189    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

View Postme-wonders, on 15 November 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

I wonder if those who signed to separate from the US figured out what that would do to their Social Security and Medicare?

Maybe their `top-notch reasoning´ were along these lines >>

Posted Image

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#190    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,725 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

View Postsupervike, on 15 November 2012 - 02:26 AM, said:

I love this idea.  Let's do this.

Also, and completely unrelated, I'll volunteer to stay around and help out with odd jobs.

Sold! (We'll keep the cloning scientists around too I think...can never have too many Miranda Kerrs, or Adriana Lima's).  ^_^

#191    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 14 November 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

This is incorrect, as whether one uses the date 1776 (Declaration of Independence) or 1788 (US Constitution) there were no "Southerners". That distinction didn't come about until around 80 years later. As to the US Constitution, Gouverneur Morris actually penned much of it and he was from New York which was never part of the 'South'.

cormac

You are incorrect. There was a "south" and "southerners". John Adams wanted someone form the "south" (therefore a "southerner") to lead the army in order to assure the "south" was on board with the revolution. The constitutional debate of whether slavery would be allowed in the US was between "northern" and "southern" states. There were also the "middle" states.

James Madison is called the "Father of the Constitution". He was from the "south".

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#192    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 14 November 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

John Adams, John Hancock and Benjamin Franklin were not Southerners, but your post is typical of the Southern mentality.

By the way, my own ancestors also fought in the American Revolution.

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison are. Your post is typical of a bigot mentality.

By the way, so did mine.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#193    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,725 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

History, doomed to repeat it, it seems.

#194    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,131 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 15 November 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

History, doomed to repeat it, it seems.

Nope, things just happen twice in history, once as tragedy and once as comedy.

about me

#195    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 13,781 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 15 November 2012 - 03:24 PM, said:

Nope, things just happen twice in history, once as tragedy and once as comedy.
Hmmm...so Hitler attempted to annihilate the Jews.   That was tragedy.  Iran wants to annihilate the Jews....so when 10 million Jews die that will be comedy?

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users