Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Solar eclipse today

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Kevin K

Kevin K

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

Solar eclipse today :)

#2    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,510 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

Do you mean this?

Thousands gather for Australia solar eclipse

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-20307900

Posted Image

#3    _Only

_Only

• 6,666 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,662 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Its raining today.

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,359 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

View PostHilander, on 13 November 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

Its raining today.

Doesn't matter cuz you're not in Australia. :P

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#6    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

I was born during a solar eclipse . I have to go buy a lotto ticket now .

Miss me?

#7    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,656 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

I had the chance to observe the May 20th solar eclipse over North America (where I lived: 75% of the sun was eclipsed in the late afternoon), so I wish the best of luck for Australia viewing theirs (safely) with the right equipment to prevent damage to the eyes.

Simbi, my birthdate was a day before a total solar eclipse though wasn't visible over North America, according to astronomical records. I should blow $5 on a lotto ticket to see if I'm able to win anything. :clap:

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#8    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,662 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 13 November 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

Doesn't matter cuz you're not in Australia. :P
I knew it was in Australia I just said that because all he said was there's a solar eclipse today like more information didn't matter.

#9    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

One of our sons and his friends is now North of Cairns, for the total eclipse. I'm trying to ring his mobile-cell phone, but he's not answering. The weather seems to be good for viewing (going by Google), and here is an article about the eclipse, as viewed from Cairns.

Tourists flock to Queensland for Cairns' first total eclipse since 710AD
Thousands of people are heading to Queensland in the hope of seeing a two-minute solar eclipse in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
The eclipse is expected to begin at 05.45 in the far north of the Australian state, with totality occurring at 06.38 on November 14 (20.38 GMT on November 13).

Source

#10    Professor T

Professor T

Sha naqba īmuru

• 2,536 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

Well I'm in New Zealand and right now about 75% of the sun is Ecipsed..

It's pretty cool, I didn't epect to see it here as it's totality will be Cairns & Australia..

Quite a gloomy/airy lack of light though.

#11    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 13 November 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

It's pretty cool, I didn't epect to see it here as it's totality will be Cairns & Australia..

An experience to remember, I would think. :tu:

#12    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,473 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

I experienced the August 11 1999 from London, where there was 96% totality. I was then lucky enough to experience totality during the 21 June 2001 eclipse from Northern Zimbabwe.

It is difficult to explain just how massive the difference between even 99% and 100% is to someone that hasn't experienced a total solar eclipse. Totality is indescribably beautiful. The solar corona is only visible at totality and gives an eerie colour to the sky. It is an amazing and moving site. I would urge anyone that has a chance to experience totality to do so.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#13    Professor T

Professor T

Sha naqba īmuru

• 2,536 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostKarlis, on 13 November 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

An experience to remember, I would think. :tu:

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 13 November 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

I experienced the August 11 1999 from London, where there was 96% totality. I was then lucky enough to experience totality during the 21 June 2001 eclipse from Northern Zimbabwe.

It is difficult to explain just how massive the difference between even 99% and 100% is to someone that hasn't experienced a total solar eclipse. Totality is indescribably beautiful. The solar corona is only visible at totality and gives an eerie colour to the sky. It is an amazing and moving site. I would urge anyone that has a chance to experience totality to do so.

Yeah, it's deffinately an experience to remember, even though this one is i think only about 80% totallity, what I've found rather striking is that the light on my skin is cold.. The absence of warmth in the light makes one appreciate the sun a little more doesn't it.. quite a few sunspots too, but I can't be bothered getting the telescope out, looking through the filter is fun enough without looking for pominences..

The only total eclipse I've experienced was on a day when it was poaring with rain.. that wasn't much fun at all.

#14    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,967 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

I would love to witness totality, but Cairns was a bit far north for me. I was very excited, had alarms set for the last 6 months. This morning the family had breakfast outside with welding masks on.

I bet we were quite a sight. Very good view through the welding masks though.

Last time I was around for one of these was when I was my daughters age in primary school. Been waiting a while for this one.

I loved seeing outside get bright, dim down, and then brighten up again. It's like a snooze alarm morning.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#15    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,967 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

You did well, I am on the Gold Coast and we got about 80%, but it looked a little less to me. Maybe 75%.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users