Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Atheist Prayer Experiment

atheist prayer expirement

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,171 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

It is confusing to me why a Chrisitan would encourage people to pray that God would reveal himself to them. I thought the point of Christianity was that he already had.

Posted Image

#17    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:02 AM

View Postmagebane, on 14 November 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

• They shall not temped the lord thy God

Isn't the standard response from several branches of Christianity that you need to pray and open your heart for god to reveal himself?
Seems they tried, and didn't get the result (save the two who did, of course.)

There seems to be a bias in viewing atheists as being people innately against religion.
I only know of two types of atheists, those who are because they were never exposed to religion, and those who are because they were raised religious and became dissatisfied with it (my own case.)

I long ago recognized that just as I became an atheist, it's well possible that I could become religious again. In fact, while I am satisfied with life as I know it, I would welcome the chance of eternity.
  But being the person I am, I require evidence for it.

Originally by JGirl
so really, this wasn't a scientific test at all. certainly not one that can give any accurate results, considering some of them didn't even bother to finish it.

No, the people who don't report back are also important. All studies generally have a dropout rate, and higher rates tend to point towards whatever they are testing as being ineffective.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#18    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

• Before enlightenment peel the potatoes, after enlightenment, peel the potatoes.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:00 AM

View PostRyu, on 14 November 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

So basically if one (a non-believer) was to be "open minded" in the way you think they should be then they would find "your" god?

Of course not. You answered your own question.

its my god.... thats the point. im not in any way shape or form implying my god is everyones god. everyone sees it in there own way.

however I dont beleive in a god per say, I beleive in myself, I am my god as I am what I seek..

This is not narrcism as people have said in the past, I just beleive that I need to help me, not some guy in the sky.

However I beleive that the universe isnt just a black nothing, I have encountered spirits during mediations etc in which make me beleive there is other dimensions to existence.

I just beleive there is more out there than what we perceive, however I know that what ever is out there doesnt govern the universe, it itself is apart of it, just as I am now.

Hope that clarrifys a little.

Kind Regards,
Me :)

Posted Image

#19    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

• Before enlightenment peel the potatoes, after enlightenment, peel the potatoes.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:02 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 14 November 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

It would be a bit pointless participating in any experiment  if you are not open to it to try and see what may come..  

The atheists that allowed themselves to give it a go, didn't have to...But they did ..So that says to me they were willing to open up and try...

Cannot fault anyone for trying, even if it doesn't pan out, at least they can say - Well, we gave it a shot

Point taken, and agreed - to many people say and dont do...

Posted Image

#20    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,359 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 14 November 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

Isn't the standard response from several branches of Christianity that you need to pray and open your heart for god to reveal himself?
Seems they tried, and didn't get the result (save the two who did, of course.)

There seems to be a bias in viewing atheists as being people innately against religion.
I only know of two types of atheists, those who are because they were never exposed to religion, and those who are because they were raised religious and became dissatisfied with it (my own case.)

I long ago recognized that just as I became an atheist, it's well possible that I could become religious again. In fact, while I am satisfied with life as I know it, I would welcome the chance of eternity.
  But being the person I am, I require evidence for it.

[/background][/size][/font][/color]
No, the people who don't report back are also important. All studies generally have a dropout rate, and higher rates tend to point towards whatever they are testing as being ineffective.

Well, now you can know three kinds of atheists.  I am an atheist because I was raised in a family that has a multitude of different religions represented.  I can never remember a time that I believed in god and it was because I exposed to so many different religions so young and realized they could not all be right and they are most likely all wrong.  Could you believe that your wonderful orthodox Jewish grandparents were going to hell because your pentecostal aunt said so?  Or that your mother was evil because she is a Jew for Jesus like your grandparents told you?  Or that your atheist father must be possed by demons because your Roman catholic grandmother thinks so?  I will not even get into what I heard about my Hindu aunt, my Muslim uncle, or my brother becoming a pagan.

Edited by FurthurBB, 14 November 2012 - 03:18 PM.

Also tagged with atheist, prayer, expirement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users