Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Lonely 'homeless' planet found

cfbdsir2149 planet homeless

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 2,217 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 03 December 2012 - 01:08 PM, said:

It's not a brown dwarf, it's too small. It has a mass of "between four and seven times that of Jupiter", brown dwarves have masses of 15 to 75 times that of Jupiter. As for it not being a planet because it isn't in orbit around a star, well the International Astronomical Union definition of a planet is limited to solar system objects only, they have not defined what constitutes a planet outside of our solar system. Until they do "planet" is the best fit description of the object.

We would have to monitor it for an awfully long time, hundreds of millions, if not billions, of years.

Pallidin is correct. Gravity tries to compress large planets causing massive internal pressure and heat at the core. The processes of conduction and convection will cause some of this heat to rise to the surface. This happens, to a lesser degree, with the gas giants in our solar system. The surface of Jupiter receives more heat energy internally than it does from the sun.

Not entirely true. Planets (even gas giants) form in a slightly different way to stars (including brown dwarves). Stars form from the gas in a nebula. Planets form from the dust left over after the formation of the stars, so although on the surface a gas giant may appear like a failed star, having enough mass to form a large atmosphere of left over hydrogen, it's core is rock and very different from that of a star.

By measuring the wavelength of infra-red light it emits.

And I thought they just had a Long Thermometer. :rofl:

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve.
But to much skepticism can make you narrow minded to extraordinary possibilities.

#32    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

This is really interesting, I mean Im sure its not a rare accurance in the universe, Its just the first time astronomers have seen one. I mean If im wrong let me know

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x, 03 December 2012 - 10:46 PM.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

Also tagged with cfbdsir2149, planet, homeless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users