Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What the Petraeus Investigation Tells Us

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

http://reason.com/bl...gation-tells-us

"So not only did the FBI - again, all without any real evidence of a crime - trace the locations and identity of Broadwell and Petreaus, and read through Broadwell's emails (and possibly Petraeus'), but they also got their hands on and read through 20,000-30,000 pages of emails between Gen. Allen and Kelley.
This is a surveillance state run amok. It also highlights how any remnants of internet anonymity have been all but obliterated by the union between the state and technology companies.

Online email services are especially vulnerable, with companies like Google and Yahoo essentially rolling over for the feds. As the Associated Press reported:

The downfall of CIA Director David Petraeus demonstrates how easy it is for federal law enforcement agents to examine emails and computer records if they believe a crime was committed. With subpoenas and warrants, the FBI and other investigating agencies routinely gain access to electronic inboxes and information about email accounts offered by Google, Yahoo and other Internet providers."

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,170 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

Wait ... you mean someone who works for the government has their emails and phones monitored?
Shocked I am, shocked.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,757 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:18 AM

I've assumed for years that anything I have ever said or surfed on the net is available for someone's perusal.  When I give an opinion I do it loud and proud for that very reason.  BTW, I hope Oby gets hemorrhoids  :w00t: :clap:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,655 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

I don't know why some people think that a medium, whose root domain belongs to the Department of Defense, is not monitored.

Edited by questionmark, 15 November 2012 - 08:56 AM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

No surprise for me.  The Unpatriot Act is 10 years old now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users