Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Does Absolute Reality Exist?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#61    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,476 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

the answer is  Yes.   We are  just part of a chain of events which are pre and post  'us'.  

As for the 'tree in the forest / sound  conundrum  .. similarly,   If a super Nova explodes in space , but no one notices a flash in the night sky ...   did it create Light?       Of course it did.

That question always comes down to  .. what is sound.    Sound is waves...  heard or unheard.    The proof of this ,  is  Hearing!

If  your tea kettle boils over,  but , your not home,  did it happen?    

If the wind blows, but your in a submarine,  did the wind blow?

Things happen, with us or without us.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#62    starchild1976

starchild1976

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

• Truth is stranger than fiction.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

If you're talking in terms of sanity then often yes. Certain ideals and concepts may seem crazy to some while actually sane. On the other hand, some behaviors are just plain nuts.

#63    _Only

_Only

• 6,463 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 20 November 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

that is correct, if the ears are not there to hear it!
But because you are not standing in its vicinity, does not mean it can not make a sound with out its vibration hiting something....If a tree falls on the ground, it hits the ground..hence a sound, it just so happens it did not hit your ears, but it did hit something...hence sound!

I have been reading this whole past exchange, and laughing at the mild absurdity of it all. The point of the original famous question would be better reworded in this way:

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to observe it in any way, does it still fall?"

Does the tree even exist? Does the forest?

In other words, does that hypothetical tree even exist if my mind is not present to percieve it?

"Of course, you nutjob", most would say. "You're the most arrogant, self centered egotist for entertaining any position otherwise!"

But suspend all you think you/Science/whatever else knows, and concentrate on the one thing that you absolutely and unequivocally know: your mind is real (as in your thought and emotion). I think, therefore I am. This I know, and nothing else. In reality, absolutely anything else you only trust and/or assume as being real, as it drifts through your mind through its thought/emotion/senses.

If anyone is getting my point here, and will come up with the inevitable "well, your mind can't be the only real thing, because my mind is real, too" response, you don't know that. You only know your mind is real, as I only know mine is. Meaning, we don't even know if each other actually exist. I can only trust that you likely exist, because my mind perceives you, and I have been taught and agreed to basic ideas about this world and reality, which tell me that if I perceive you, then you are in fact real. As I'd assume you do I, if you even exist at all. But all of this is never truly known. It is also completely possible that both of our minds do exist, and  this means that both share a mind. But that is another thread's fodder.

Observing of the microscopic world shows us that things likely exist in an abstract wave of probabilities that can be honed into or directed, consciously or not, into a certain outcome or result. To think that this is possible to also be true in the non microscopic world is not less than logical, to assume that laws that govern tiny things also apply to the rest of everything. But again, all assumption. As we have already come to realize that we only know for sure that one thing is real.

With all of this is mind (pun unintended, but personally appreciated), the term 'only in your mind' becomes one of the most ridiculous terms in the way it is usually meant. What isn't in my mind?

Putting all this together, I am finding it increasingly hard to say that reality is absolute, as much as constantly being created, in my mind.

And yours, if it exists.

Hell, maybe even the tree's mind, too.

Edited by _Only, 08 June 2013 - 08:59 AM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#64    xFelix

xFelix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

• Yea I'm Pagan, oh no!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

There is a probability, that this entire reality is a sort of dream state...
Source:http://www.icr.org/article/6067/

My posts consist of my opinions, beliefs, and experiences, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner.

I have a right to my beleifs, just as you have a right to not agree with them.

So long as we respect each other's beliefs, we won't have a single problem.

#65    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,649 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostxFelix, on 08 June 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

There is a probability, that this entire reality is a sort of dream state...
Source:http://www.icr.org/article/6067/
Not sure what your pseudoscience article has to do with what you just said.

#66    xFelix

xFelix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

• Yea I'm Pagan, oh no!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

Horrible link, but the same concept is used to explain that we are possibly simulations within an alternate reality.

http://www.ucg.org/s...ling-evolution/

Dr Sylvester James Gates! That's who it was!

Edited by xFelix, 08 June 2013 - 03:37 PM.

My posts consist of my opinions, beliefs, and experiences, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner.

#67    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,649 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

Your links are comparing microbiological mechanics with that of computers, nothing to do with simulations in alternate realities.

#68    xFelix

xFelix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

• Yea I'm Pagan, oh no!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 08 June 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Your links are comparing microbiological mechanics with that of computers, nothing to do with simulations in alternate realities.

"I have never expected that the movie 'The Matrix' could be an actual representation of the place in which I live"
The Matrix is a movie about simulation of reality in an alternate dimension, that interestingly enough... is programmed.

Watch the video and you will see how string theory applies to a reasonable belief that we might just not be in an absolute reality...

Edited by xFelix, 08 June 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#69    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,156 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

Hmmm. My thoughts are that since we live in "reality" that there must be an "absolute" reality, however complex it might be.

#70    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,574 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

I would think absolute reality means a fundamental level of reality that is not reducible. This absolute scale of reality would be far, far away from the reality we experience. Our physical universe is a manifestation of this "whatever it is".

This "whatever it is" may not be describable by our mathematics. The math we use to describe the universe may be many magnitudes away from this ultimate source in the hierarchy of its manifestations. After all, math describles behavior, but it is not that behavior itself.

What the ultimate reality or "the thing itself" may be, I'm not sure we will ever be able to discover, given that we are an expression of our "local level" of reality.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#71    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,867 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

the absolute reality is this :

We are not part of the absolute reality but we are happy not knowing we are not the reality ....

~

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#72    Glorfindel

Glorfindel

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

• The answer to 1984, is uhhh... 1812?

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

Well, if no observers existed in the universe, it would still exist. But what would it be? Just a mass of information interacting with itself? Im sure that is absolute reality at the end of the day, but then that brings the question back to "qualia". What part of reality makes the colour green, look green? What creates the taste of something sweet? These things would not exist without an observer, since they appear to only exist in the mind. And yet they are blatantly real qualities. So what part of reality creates qualia? How is it reconcilable with the absolute reality of information with no perceptions? There is a difference between the human perception of reality, and the dog's perception, which one is real? How does evolution create this perception if it has no basis in the absolute reality of information without perception? I don't know if I worded that right, but that's one of the ultimate mysteries of reality, IMO.

Think of someone taking hallucinogens, alcohol, or any drug. Think of someone with mental illness. Think of someone meditating. Think of someone in sleep paralysis. Think of all the different species of animals on Earth. Now picture all these different "someone" sitting in the same exact room in the same house at the same time. The room is real, the atoms and other particles making the walls of the room are solid. But imagine how vastly different all those "someones" I mentioned would perceive the same room. Im not sure exactly what Im getting at, but that's gotta say something weird about reality lol. Its like there's infinite ways to perceive one thing.

Edited by Glorfindel, 08 June 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#73    _Only

_Only

• 6,463 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

View PostGlorfindel, on 08 June 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

Well, if no observers existed in the universe, it would still exist...

Let's hold up right there.

How do you know that?

#74    Glorfindel

Glorfindel

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

• The answer to 1984, is uhhh... 1812?

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

Because the conditions to give rise to life, the planet, the expansion of the universe etc. must have occurred. And because, despite the infinite ways of perceiving the universe, there is an aspect of reality that can still be measured consistently. Do I know without a shadow of a doubt? No, but I think its obvious the universe exists regardless of perception, as an array of information and energy. If a supernova went off in a nearby star (lets say its close enough to damage Earth), no one would have perceived the explosion itself, but its effects would be felt, and I think that applies to the universe before the evolution of mankind (or animals observers too), yet we know the universe did not magically appear when life did, as we can observe the expansion of the universe. Its the "qualia" of things like frequencies of light that are a mystery. Since we know things exist, but can be perceived in many different ways, I think its logical to conclude that things exist with no perception as well. But you are right to an extent, though that can be applied to everything, how do I know you exist for example, because of internet posts? Maybe everything is a hallucination in my mind, but like I implied, there is evidence to the contrary, just not absolute proof I suppose.

Edited by Glorfindel, 08 June 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#75    _Only

_Only

• 6,463 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

I suppose now would be the fitting time to reveal that this is all StarMountainKid's world, and we're all just act...

No,

Not yet.

lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users