Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Anatomy of a Real Cryptid Case

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

I think that's a little bit harsh. While maybe not technically 'cryptids', out of place or long-thought-extinct animals have always come under the remit of cryptozoology. Alien/anomalous big cats, Tasmanian tigers, plesiosaurs... All these topics are frequently discussed, so I don't see why this one should be considered a waste of space.

If it's harsh to point out facts to people then you've missed the point of this forum. Tasmanian tigers, Plesiosaurs are or were real creatures at one time, if one is found it simply means they were considered extinct prematurely. Alien/anomalous big cats are real creatures that some irresponsible owner allowed to escape or they simply are migrating in order to find better places to live, nothing more. This is especially true in England since for over a hundred years wealthy used to have their own private zoos and there were few laws on having such creatures.

The observation of a known creature is hardy a crypozoological event. Cougars have never been observed in Michigan before and now we have a really great picture from a trail cam clearly showing one. So what's the big hairy mystery? There's a cougar in Michigan? Ok, I'd be more shocked if the picture was taken in Eight Mile in Detroit, but it's clearly out in a more rural area.

If you want to call it a crypto-like sighting then it's a waste of board space, at best it's a curiosity and while interesting there's really nothing mysterious or anomalous  about it. It's a cougar in Michigan........moving on.

Edited by keninsc, 17 November 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#17    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Then I suggest you head over to the James Randi board and start talking about them.  You'll get hammered so fast it will make your head spin.

Quite the contrary Rafterman, they would agree with me whole heartedly because I have stated nothing but fact. Unless you think they'll argue that cougars don't really exist, which I seriously doubt. In fact they might well take the same position I have in this that posting a trail cam picture of a Cougar in the wilds of Michigan isn't a crypto case at all.

......but then, I could be wrong. This could be a magical, mystical, paranormal cougar that teleports it's prey to the seventh dimension before eating it.

.......as I said, I could be wrong.

Edit to add:

By the way, would it shock you to know I own two of James Randi's books? One of them signed by Randi himself.

Edited by keninsc, 17 November 2012 - 07:03 PM.

#18    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 17 November 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

I think that devolving into another argument about what is and what isn't a crytpid isn't even the point of Rafterman's OP.  The point as i take it is that real animals (like a cougar) invariably end up doing the things that real animals do....ie participate in the food chain, leave scat, and eventually show up in unambiguous photos taken by trail cams.  Real animals eventually get found and studied.

Which is, in my mind the perfect litmus test for Bigfoot or other cryptids.  How long have people been reporting Bigfoots?  hundreds of years at least, and still Bigfoot has never done any of the things that real animals do unambiguously enough to be studied seriously by science.

Real animals do real things.  Fake animals just have cults that surround them and claim that they do real things in the abscence of actual evidence and proofs.  

I like Rafterman's post.  It is illustrative of the way this process should work for cryptid animals (whether we agree or not that the cougar is one in this situation).

I completely understand, and mostly agree with what you are saying here orangepeaceful, but the point that I am trying to make (ad nauseum) is that in order to have an intelligent and meaningful conversation about the subject of cryptozoology is almost imposable when everything is a potential cryptid (depending on the agenda of the day), and anyone (aware or unaware, willing, and unwilling) can be a cryptozoologist.

The OP clearly states that this is a case of a "real cryptid". That statement alone (in my mind and apparently others) leaves the door open for debating what is and isn't a "real cyptid". Other than that I see very little relevance to this story and the subject of cryptozoology. Cougars after all are real and endemic to all of the lower 48 states. It is in their nature to fill in any gaps that exist in their natural home range, nothing cryptid like at all IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users