Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

If you want to be president, hire geeks

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,345 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

New Scientist said:

AS THE US re-elected President Barack Obama, mathematics fans crowned their own king: statistician Nate Silver.

He was the most prominent of a handful of political forecasters who applied sophisticated techniques to polling data from individual states to reveal an early Obama lead that never went away (see charts).

That was in stark contrast to the findings of traditional opinion polls and the predictions of political commentators and pundits. Almost invariably, they declared the race too close to call, providing a neat, but ultimately false campaign narrative.

The new breed embodied by Silver is clearly a force to be reckoned with, so what impact will their predictive power have on the elections of the future?

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,729 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

They can't predict what isn't there.  If they do make a prediction its because evidence points that way.  Them themselves will not influence how people vote.  Their predictions would be interesting to keep up with though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users