Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

World War II Love Letters Wash Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,809 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Superstorm Sandy destroyed towns and homes, and took lives, but a stack of 57 letters tied together with a pink ribbon survived the devastating storm.
Kathleen Mullen was taking a walk along the Henry Hudson Trail in Atlantic Highlands, N.J., the day after the storm hit when she spotted the bundle of letters.
“They were obviously tied with a pink ribbon, so I automatically knew that they were love letters,”....

(more here)

So sweet! :wub:

#2    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

Nice article, but would I can't see how they washed up? Surely they are from somewhere near by. Wouldn't the sea have destroyed them over those years?!

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#3    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,809 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

Yeah, it's not clear who had the letters before the storm, but another article I saw said that they believe they floated down a nearby river and into the bay where they were found. So I guess someone must have had them in thier home or something.  Would be interesting for the family I bet, to find out a bit more about that.

#4    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

Yeah that sounds more like what would have happened. Very intresting though and definitly intresting for the family. Good thread. :tu:  Thought more people would have been intrested in it though.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#5    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,538 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

I wonder who had them before the hurricane; an interesting story.

#6    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

It's like As Time Goes By.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users