Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

No more twinkies, hohos and scooter pies?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,073 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

NY Times said:

While Twinkies have a reputation for an unlimited shelf life, the company that makes the junk food does not.

Hostess Brands, the bankrupt maker of cream-filled pastries like Twinkies and Ho Hos, said on Friday that it planned to wind down its operations and sell off its portfolio of well-known brands. The decision comes a week after one of the company’s biggest unions went on strike to protest a labor contract.

Friday’s decision spells the end of Hostess, an 82-year-old company that has endured wars, countless diet fads and even an earlier Chapter 11 filing. As the national appetite for the junk food waned, the baked-goods maker fell on hard times.

Read more

Now, the question is: are we supposed to be happy because this could improve the popular health or sad 'cause we will be missing some junk-food?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    EllJay

EllJay

Government Agent

• 3,431 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Twinkies and cockroaches, that is what will survive the nuclear holocaust.
It got so much goddamn preservatives that it will last longer than rocks.

"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#3    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

Time to start stocking up...

Posted Image

~MEH~

#4    ohio_traveler

ohio_traveler

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Another company closing down because of union stubbornness ?

#5    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,073 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

View PostClyde the Glyde, on 16 November 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

Another company closing down because of union stubbornness ?

Doubtful, the demand for junk food is on the decline, even without unions Hostess was doomed. It may have taken a year longer.
If the Unions would have agreed to a pay cut all that would have happened is that the former employees get less unemployment pay in a year.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,392 posts

• Beliefs won't make you a better person but your actions will.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

I remember when twinkies were actually good, a nice, dry, lite angelfood cake and a actual creamy filling.
Now they're sticky and gunky, filled with something that is little more than sweetened wallpaper paste.

#7    RockabyeBillie

RockabyeBillie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

• And a million baneful words couldn't bring me to my knees.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

I find it kinda sad, Hostess has been around for a long time. I guess it goes to show Americans really are trying to eat less junk and take better care of themselves, although it's still sometimes hard to tell by looking around.

Posted Image

Whether you think you can or whether you think you cant, you're right! -Henry Ford

#8    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,961 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

But what will we eat when the zombies take over?

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#9    EllJay

EllJay

Government Agent

• 3,431 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

View PostCorp, on 16 November 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

But what will we eat when the zombies take over?

other zombies...or cockroaches.

"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#10    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• 1,273 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

First they delay the McRib, now Hostess going out of business... geez, what will all the Peg Bundy's of the world do now... ;)
Seriously, I don't think it's because we're eating better, diabetes is still on the rise and as long as junk food stays in the foreground and cheap and produce stays in the back and rarely on sale, I don't see much changing.  I agree with Rockabye as I remember seeing Hostess commercials a long time ago as a kid and to see them close up is just sad even if I haven't bought any sweets for a long time.

#11    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

YOUR FAVORITE GIRL!

• 8,659 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

I'm sad. I liked their snacks. ):

#12    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,611 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

I loved Twinkies, Ding Dongs and whole wheat wonder bread.  I ate the bread far more than the sack cakes.  We could see twinkes and the other products again if another company buys the rights to it.

I don't think it was all the Unions fault.  I think both parties can share in the blame.

#13    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

I heard a report on the radio on my way back from DC today that said they were going to sell off the rights to the "favorites".  Sad to see them go...Hostess was a staple of my childhood.  Maybe they will be bought by "Little Debbie".  Funny...when I was a kid..."Little Debbie" was like the generic snack and now they are pretty mainstream.  Does anyone else remember "Dolly Madison" snacks?  I used to scarf those things when I was a kid but now?...I never see them.

I'm really going to miss Hostess...one of my fav's to this day is the little "lemon pies"...man I love those things!  Sad...I know.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#14    ohio_traveler

ohio_traveler

Psychic Spy

• 1,864 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 16 November 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

Doubtful, the demand for junk food is on the decline, even without unions Hostess was doomed. It may have taken a year longer.
If the Unions would have agreed to a pay cut all that would have happened is that the former employees get less unemployment pay in a year.

I'm not so sure about that. Not around here anyway. Someone else mentioned the Little Debbie brand snack cakes. I wonder what their earnings are ? That would be a fair comparison to the Hostess brand. That might give an indication of whether Hostess was in trouble due to junk food being on the decline ( which I just don't see ) or due to Union demands.

I can't blame business for just throwing up their hands and saying forget it. Not worth it.

Some employees would rather give up everything than give up anything.

#15    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,073 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

in related news:

Bloomberg said:

Twinkies Fetch $25 Per 10-Pack on EBay as Hostess Plans to Close

{snip}

Twinkies are also listed for sale on EBay Inc. (EBAY) A 10-pack is available for $24.99 and four 10-packs are listed for $99.99 on the online retailer’s website. Other Hostess products including Zingers, Coffee Cakes and Cup Cakes are for sale on EBay.com.

A 10-pack of Twinkies are listed for $3.29 on the Peapod website, a home delivery grocery seller owned by Royal Ahold NV.

Read more

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users