Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Orbs and image in mirror

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16    DeeAngel

DeeAngel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

Additional pictures have been added. There has always been strange activity throughout the house but for some reason, this room has always been the strongest.
We just had a very tragic death in our family so I thought I'd take tons of pictures to see if there was any additional activity.

#17    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

In the days of 35mm cameras, spots on the front of the lens would be so out of focus that you couldn't even see them. Most digital cameras have tiny sensors and this makes that junk on the lens more in focus and more visible, especially when a flash lights them up.

#18    DeeAngel

DeeAngel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

If it was a matter of dirty lens, then wouldn't a dirt spot in the center of the lens always be in the center of the picture?  There have been times that these orbs have shown on pictures taken by two different cameras.  Have also noticed that there seems to be more or stronger ones when there is a lot more emotion in the room.

#19    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Also....orbs are captured on video cameras too and there is no way they can be dust particles or something on the lens, because they are moving and are bigger than a bit of dust!

#20    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

View PostDeeAngel, on 16 November 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

If it was a matter of dirty lens, then wouldn't a dirt spot in the center of the lens always be in the center of the picture?  

Dust within the lens can move around, especially with zoom lenses.

There have been times that these orbs have shown on pictures taken by two different cameras.  

It wouldn't be the first time that two cameras had dirty lenses.

Have also noticed that there seems to be more or stronger ones when there is a lot more emotion in the room.

Perhaps because it's darker and your camera is selecting a more powerful flash against a darker background?

#21    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,001 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

Have also noticed that there seems to be more or stronger ones when there is a lot more emotion in the room.
Then my snow orbs already posted above must have involved lots of emotion that for some reason comes out when it's snowing.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#22    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,266 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

I've seen orbs with my eyes without the aid of a camera, on numerous occasions and in various locations, so I don't doubt their existence. One of the things I've noticed about orb photos is that some seem to have a narrow rim around them, and in enlarged photos they appear to have stuff inside them of different colors, which I think may indicate they are orbs and not camera artifacts or dust, like the other photos posted.

#23    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,151 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:02 AM

Looks like people got so tired of showing the facts of what orbs are ( dust, moisture ) over the weeks, months, years, that no one is bothering anymore....I get tired of it myself, they have been explained over and over again, with 100% proof to support the facts.

Orbs are dust and/ or moisture.....Nothing more, nothing less...

Search " orbs " on this site, ( and other sites, besides paranormal sites ) ton of topics showing exactly what they are.

Edited by Sakari, 17 November 2012 - 02:03 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#24    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:04 AM

This article explains orbs quite well.
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Orb_(optics)

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#25    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,151 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

Ah hell, here is a definition of orbs from a paranormal site...( they are being honest )

Orbs: What Are They Believed To Be?

Orbs are believed by a large number of people, both new groups, experienced and people who are capturing them, aka, non-ghost hunters, to be spirits caught on film.

Or, another popular belief is that an orb, is a ball of energy, spirit energy that’s free floating, in the environment. It is “common knowledge” that energy is most stable in the form of a sphere, which is the limited physics background of the belief, and I do stress limited. I have also hear of orbs being spirit guides, demons, astral creatures and oddly enough " evolved spirits".

In reality, there is no proof or scientific back up for any of this. Now that we know what the most common beliefs are in regards to orbs, let us proceed onto the truth.

What orbs REALLY are. Orbs have been scientifically debunked as a modern inception with no pre-recorded example prior to the availability of CCD lens (digital camera) technology and it's inferior ability to focus (this is especially true of cell phone cameras which cannot in any way compare to professional grade or even consumer grade stand alone cameras), "supernatural orbs" make up the predominant presence of 'ghost photos' on the Internet.

There are two main types of orbs reported, both of which are caused by particulate matter in the air. The first type is Naturalistic Solid-Type orbs, and the second type is Liquid-Based orbs. Below we shall explore the two and see what the difference is. First off, cameras.

What Type Of Cameras Most Often Capture Orbs? Digital vs. Film.

Naturalistic orbs are most commonly gained using digital cameras and built-in flash thought not always.

While photographers with archives of photos report having occasionally seen "orbs" in their photos gained with film cameras, no evidence has been presented that this is not a modern light artifact error arising in CCD lenses both in standard off the shelf cameras and cell phone cameras and the recent rise in reports of orb photos may be directly related to the common availability of digital cameras and associated rise in the number of pictures taken. It should be noted also that the size of the camera is another consideration in the recent proliferation of orb photos.

As film cameras, and then digital cameras, have steadily shrunk in size, reports of "orbs" increased accordingly. As cameras became smaller, the distance between the lens and the built-in flash also shrank, decreasing the angle of reflection back into the lens causing less focus on small light artifacts and thus an orb like appearance.

A flash does not need to be present. Any light source that reflects or refracts from particulate matter (dust, moisture, etc) in the air (even though we can’t see it’s there moving on air currents) and that enters the cameras lens (which it does otherwise you wouldn’t have a picture in the first place) can cause an orb artifact to appear.

The Main Causes of Orbs:

There are a number of naturalistic causes for orbs in photography and videography.

*Solid orbs - Dry particulate matter such as dust, pollen, insects, etc.
*Liquid orbs - Droplets of liquid, usually water, e.g. rain.
*Foreign material on the camera lens
*Foreign material within the camera lens
*Foreign material within the camera body

More on this here :

http://ssprstn.tripod.com/id65.html

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#26    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,001 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

If it was a matter of dirty lens, then wouldn't a dirt spot in the center of the lens always be in the center of the picture?  There have been times that these orbs have shown on pictures taken by two different cameras.  Have also noticed that there seems to be more or stronger ones when there is a lot more emotion in the room.
Orbs aren't caused by dirt on the lens.  It's usually particles in the air in front of the lens.

Edited by Archimedes, 18 November 2012 - 08:01 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#27    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,151 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 18 November 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

Orbs aren't caused by dirt on the lens.  It's usually particles in the air in front of the lens.

Some of them are :)

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#28    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,001 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

View PostBling, on 16 November 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

Also....orbs are captured on video cameras too and there is no way they can be dust particles or something on the lens, because they are moving and are bigger than a bit of dust!
They aren't actually big.  They are merely out of focus.  Here's a picture I took of some Christmas lights.  What my eye could see was pinpoints of light on the tree, but I deliberately put the camera way out of focus for a silly artsy effect.

Posted Image

Orbs are caused by a similar phenomenon, small bright spots (dust or other particles illuminated by flash or another light source behind the camera) that are out of focus and thus appear as larger and fainter.  They aren't really that size.  It's just an effect caused by them being out of the camera's focus.

Dust in air moves, so I don't see how orbs moving is evidence they aren't dust.

View PostSakari, on 18 November 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

Some of them are :)
But dust on the lens typically doesn't manifest as bright spots, but as dark spots.

#29    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,151 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 18 November 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

But dust on the lens typically doesn't manifest as bright spots, but as dark spots.

You did not clarify that before......You just said " orbs ".....:)

I am just giving you chit, boring day, raining, rivers blown out, can not fish for salmon....Not sure why I picked you to mess with, but I am done now :)

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#30    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 16 November 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

A clean camera lens isn't going to prevent flash-illuminated particles in the air from appearing as orbs on your photos.

Here's some orbs from my own photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It seems that orbs love coming out in the snow more than they like dusty conditions.

Holy craps, Batman - you live in an area INFESTED with orbs.  If I were you, I'd bust out the tinfoil hat so none of them attach to your brainwaves and follow you home......   :rolleyes:

As always, thanks Archimedes for bringing actual knowledge of photographic phenomenon to bear.  :tu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users