Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Would knowing god existed really change.....

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,693 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Perhaps in these days of nuclear weapons, cooperation would be a better survival technique than aggression.

#62    Amalthe

Amalthe

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

View PostBeany, on 21 November 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

Perhaps in these days of nuclear weapons, cooperation would be a better survival technique than aggression.

I agree with you, cooperation is always better survival technique, but in general humans aren't very capable of such rationalization. We are still bound by our Monkeyspheres, where we need to group up with some people versus the others, and then respond with aggression against them just because they don't belong in our group. No matter what advancement human society has gone through, we are still very tribal species, who will practice collaboration within our group, and aggression against other groups.

#63    _Only

_Only

• 6,680 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

View PostAmalthe, on 21 November 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

I agree with you, cooperation is always better survival technique, but in general humans aren't very capable of such rationalization. We are still bound by our Monkeyspheres, where we need to group up with some people versus the others, and then respond with aggression against them just because they don't belong in our group. No matter what advancement human society has gone through, we are still very tribal species, who will practice collaboration within our group, and aggression against other groups.

Our evolution isn't over yet. We just have started to connect the world in a way it has never been connected yet before. A chance to learn from each other and work out the tribal kinks is possible. To think and feel that there is no capability is a self-fulfilling prophecy. What group is there to be aggressive against if we became one group?

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#64    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

If it implies an afterlife yes.  Not all people who believe in god believe that they will surive death, many Jews for instance and diest.  If if implied an afterlife, well yes, anyone would be a fool not to find out what they will have to answer to.  Most religions have some form of hell or perhaps purgatory.  For Christians, I believe hell is forever.

doug

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#65    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

View Post_Only, on 21 November 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

Our evolution isn't over yet. We just have started to connect the world in a way it has never been connected yet before. A chance to learn from each other and work out the tribal kinks is possible. To think and feel that there is no capability is a self-fulfilling prophecy. What group is there to be aggressive against if we became one group?

That will never  happen.  Evoloution is not upward or downward, it is haphazard to say the least.  I see no proof that we are capable of overcoming our nature, which is pretty dark, ugly and filled with little good.  I know of no one who does not have to struggle just to be can of decent in there everyday life.

doug

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#66    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

View PostMagicjax, on 21 November 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

If I found out without a doubt that there was a god. In other words a grain of evidence. I'd admit he's real but I still wouldn't like him. An all knowing all powerful doesn't equal good to me. Would I fear him? Certainly. But fear isn't something I care to bow to. And it certainly doesn't earne my respect.

I see your point, but it is very adolecent in tone.  Well perhaps that is were we are at, age 14 with too much energy and not knowing how to use it....also an inability to think along rational lines for any length of time......well I am that way.

doug

#67    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,426 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

I`ve been evacuated today because of the forces of nature.....looks like this god still hasn`t shown!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#68    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,618 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:04 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 18 November 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

The point remains that there is no need for a creator. The laws of physics take care off all that for us.
Sorry brother... They do not. No need for the science of the gaps anymore than the god.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#69    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Yes, it would change everyone.

Depending on the kind deity that we knew existed, society would change in various ways. If the truth was that we we're seeded here by alien beings, then I bet most people would be less cautious about their actions.

However, if we knew for a fact that our God was someone like Yahweh or Zeus, Gods who punish the **** out of people, then obviously, society would be a very peaceful place because we'd know that punishment awaits us.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#70    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

What god exactly? Yaweh who killed off half the planet for sinning, or sent bears to kill children after they insulted army men? Perhaps Zues who raped and impregnated women as various animals?

There is no god that could exist that doesn't make me sick to my stomach. If would only give me a goal to achieve, kill that disease ridden beast that calls itself god.

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users