Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Mayan doomsday 'safe zone' shut down

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1    sean6

sean6

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Mayan doomsday 'safe zone' shut down

Citing fears that doomsday believers, curiosity seekers, and "above all" journalists, will flood a French mountaintop on Dec. 21, the supposed day of the Mayan apocalypse, local officials are banning access to the mountain.
The spot, Pic de Bugarach, is rumored to be one of the only safe places on the planet on Dec. 21, according to Raw Story. On that date, a major cycle of the Maya Long Count calendar ends. The calendar is split into several chunks, including 400-year spans called b'ak'tuns. Dec. 21, 2012 on our calendar marks the end of the 13th b'ak'tun and the beginning of a new cycle.

http://www.msnbc.msn...cience-science/

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,346 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

This can`t be, I have  already have bought my ticket, 2 grand it cost me and all my worldly possessions goes to some guy called Mr Rich Gullible, Rich is short for Richard he told me. Sounded so nice on the phone!
i am even getting a pair of plimsoles to travel up there in, (my free gift for registering) ;) , how lucky am I?

#3    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,336 posts

• I'd rather laugh than argue.

Choose your weapon.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

From the Raw Story article:

"Local officials banned access to the Pic de Bugarach, a mountain in the southwest where rumour has it the hilltop will open on the last day and aliens will emerge with spaceships to save nearby humans."

Alrighty then!

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,346 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

I have just had an idea, if mountain is shut, anyone wishing a safe haven can sit it out on my man made bunker, its cheap, just bring a few candles and tins of food...will also need a cooker cos I have already given mine to Richard.....oh and a sofa, and a few blankets.

Ps: cash only.

thanks.

#5    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,036 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 17 November 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

From the Raw Story article:

"Local officials banned access to the Pic de Bugarach, a mountain in the southwest where rumour has it the hilltop will open on the last day and aliens will emerge with spaceships to save nearby humans."

Alrighty then!
makes sense to me - if there's a bunch of people up there when it opens up someone's gonna get hurt

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,346 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

View PostJGirl, on 17 November 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

makes sense to me - if there's a bunch of people up there when it opens up someone's gonna get hurt
yep, and will there be ambulances waiting for them at the bottom?

#7    EllJay

EllJay

Government Agent

• 3,702 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 17 November 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

Alrighty then!

"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#8    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

I think they are a bunch of party poopers, I was looking forward to someone documenting the antics of these folks for hours, possibility days of shared you-tube hilarity afterward. <_<

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#9    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,170 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

What makes these gullible people think that sitting on top of a mountain is gonna be safe if there was an Apocalypse , Its the last place I would be. Doomed, Doomed oh dear.Will they ask for their money back when it doesn't happen , or be redirected to another site when the next one is due.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#10    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,336 posts

• I'd rather laugh than argue.

Choose your weapon.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 17 November 2012 - 11:42 PM, said:

I think they are a bunch of party poopers, I was looking forward to someone documenting the antics of these folks for hours, possibility days of shared you-tube hilarity afterward. <_<
I read that there are only about 200 people who live in this village. I don't blame them wanting to keep out 20,000 nuts.It would have been fun to see the look on their faces the next day though. :)

#11    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,036 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:36 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 18 November 2012 - 02:01 AM, said:

I read that there are only about 200 people who live in this village. I don't blame them wanting to keep out 20,000 nuts.It would have been fun to see the look on their faces the next day though. :)
two hundred you say...
maybe it's a big conspiracy. they're pretending they think it's nonsense, but in actuality they want to be the 'chosen ones' to get taken up with the aliens.
that's it! those sneaky petes!

#12    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Time to buy real estate in the area and charge thousands per night. They won't care as the world will end anyway why not spend your last few nights in a real bed and room instead of a tent!

#13    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,346 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostChooky88, on 18 November 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Time to buy real estate in the area and charge thousands per night. They won't care as the world will end anyway why not spend your last few nights in a real bed and room instead of a tent!
if you get my old builders, it would never be ready in time.

#14    Topperharvey

Topperharvey

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

• Without me I am nothing

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

The world needs to get rid of drug dealers? The people that make up these stories are on something?

#15    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,346 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostTopperharvey, on 18 November 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

The world needs to get rid of drug dealers? The people that make up these stories are on something?
on a mountian perhaps which could do with a bit of publicity?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users