Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paper-thin material stops bullets

Saru

Scientists have developed a new nanomaterial that appears to be highly effective at stopping bullets.

Researchers have designed a new paperthin bullet-proof super material which can self-assemble into alternating glassy and rubbery layers.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Ok. But that means the material will penetrate you. There still needs to be a certain thickness to dissipate the energy of the impact. Even non penetrating wounds can destroy vital organs or break bones. It's a start though as you can use it as an external layer over a lighter material. But we are a long way from bulletproof underpants.

Edited by Chooky88
  • Like 1

What a world we live in! instead of finding a way of getting rid of ammunition, scientists are spending time and money on inventing things to protect us more...there is only one protection from guns, and thats to abolish them completely.

For crying out loud!! is this what our scientists have been asked to invent now? I`d have though something to protect humans from natural catastrophies and diseases would have been the first thing on the list.

• Like 1

If it stops a bullet, that means a lighter weight plate to spread the impact. As long as we have greed there will be countries and leaders who make a fortune from weapons. If weapon production stopped today , our country would go into a recession that would destroy our economy. That is why each congressman and senator is so short sighted. If they kill a project in their state , jobs go and their jobs as well and lets face it , they have some of the most enviable jobs. They gets inside information to become richer, go to all the fancy parties and get their rears kissed by many brown noses. Intellect leaders, not greedy leaders is what we need.

• Like 1

If it stops a bullet, that means a lighter weight plate to spread the impact. As long as we have greed there will be countries and leaders who make a fortune from weapons. If weapon production stopped today , our country would go into a recession that would destroy our economy. That is why each congressman and senator is so short sighted. If they kill a project in their state , jobs go and their jobs as well and lets face it , they have some of the most enviable jobs. They gets inside information to become richer, go to all the fancy parties and get their rears kissed by many brown noses. Intellect leaders, not greedy leaders is what we need.

What a world we live in! instead of finding a way of getting rid of ammunition, scientists are spending time and money on inventing things to protect us more...there is only one protection from guns, and thats to abolish them completely.

For crying out loud!! is this what our scientists have been asked to invent now? I`d have though something to protect humans from natural catastrophies and diseases would have been the first thing on the list.

Unfortunately, ''scientists'' are not using scientific research and knowledge as well as technology in favour of people...too bad...
  • Like 1

its not just greedy leaders, although they do make up a large percentage, what about all the gangs and smugglers and wannabe hardmen, they are not running our countries, albeit probably part of their neighbourhood.

As for jobs going, lots of jobs would go if the drug trade stopped tomorrow, whats the difference, they both kill people, yet one has a licence, is that right? Nooo.

Unfortunately, ''scientists'' are not using scientific research and knowledge as well as technology in favour of people...too bad...

thats because we can not pay them as much as the world leaders do.

Your being rediculous. Hell I'm as much a new age hippie as the next Guy but at least I can see how impossible it is to hope people only throw flowers at each other. What these scientists are doing makes sense and I am supportive of anything that helps make living in the real world safer. A gun is a tool. Bullets are tools. Misuse is the users fault not the inanimate objects. Ban matches and axes too? Heck we banned bombs and people still blow things up. Go figure. Backwards logic is all. Maybe better education may help more. Teach people how to properly use a tool and reap the rewards.

Your being rediculous. Hell I'm as much a new age hippie as the next Guy but at least I can see how impossible it is to hope people only throw flowers at each other. What these scientists are doing makes sense and I am supportive of anything that helps make living in the real world safer. A gun is a tool. Bullets are tools. Misuse is the users fault not the inanimate objects. Ban matches and axes too? Heck we banned bombs and people still blow things up. Go figure. Backwards logic is all. Maybe better education may help more. Teach people how to properly use a tool and reap the rewards.

• Like 4

One post was enough!

I am not a new age hippy, i am someone who does not like guns or any other manmade killing machine in the name of gaining power.

"Teach people how to properly use a tool and reap the rewards" explain how you would teach a drug peddling gang member to use a gun which could enrich our lives?

You are completely missing the point (no surprise there), these are scientists who should be finding ways of curing people of diseases, but they are getting paid by those who benefit out of the gun and ammunition trade, and you are trying to justify it to me???!!!

No doubt you are the kind that thinks the only way to deal with a problem is to blast a hole in it.

Freetoroam I'm sorry you got upset. Peace my friend.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch
  • Like 1

Yeah, for a good reason. Because they probably don't see the total ban on all guns, all over the world, anytime soon. And I think your distorting facts here about scientists, not all scientists are specifically working on this particular one thing. I mean...sterotype much?

I am currently serving in Afghanistan and I would welcome thinner, lighter body armour that would still provide protection against small arms ammunition and shrapnel. Think of law enforcement and similar occupations that would also benefit from this technology.

• Like 5

Yeah, for a good reason. Because they probably don't see the total ban on all guns, all over the world, anytime soon. And I think your distorting facts here about scientists, not all scientists are specifically working on this particular one thing. I mean...sterotype much?

4COL, I know that all scientists are not working on this, its a shame that some can be bought so easily.

The people who have the power to ban the guns or atleast get a lot of them off the streets and stop the mass weapondry being used in wars, are the same people paying these scientists.

my point is they have the power to do something about the ammonition trade, but they will not because they make too much money out of it, is that right? I don`t think

so!

What benefit does the normal joe get out of this? death and wreaked lives, while the elite are getting rich, do you honestly think thats justifiable? Do you think the normal joe will get the benefit of this new material? no! it will be given to soldiers and politicians, we will not be protected.

So all those who think its a good idea, its NOT FOR YOUR BENEFIT, unless you are one of the world leaders.

I am currently serving in Afghanistan and I would welcome thinner, lighter body armour that would still provide protection against small arms ammunition and shrapnel. Think of law enforcement and similar occupations that would also benefit from this technology.

THANKYOU! you have just proven my point!!

• Like 1

Freetoroam I'm sorry you got upset. Peace my friend.

It takes far more than that to upset me, sometimes my typing may sound loud, but its only cos i want to get a point across, when not in cyber world i am actually quite timid.......sometimes. :innocent:

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

FINALLY. Now I can fight crime and not have to worry about pesky bullets.

I think this material would work great in combination with the already existing bullet proof vests, possibly?

Oh, and Sepulchrave brought up just a couple of the alternative and excellent ways that this creation could be adapted. Excellent post.

• Like 3

freetoroam do you live in reality? Because you sound very, very naive.

"Man how dare they make a super bulletproof material they should be working to create peace on earth."

Hmm, naive cos i know its not being made for the likes of you and me or all those innocent people being killed in areas like the middle east.

Do you use a gun on someone if they disagrees with your ideas? do you throw a bomb through you neighbours window if they upset you? I know i don`t, but there are some out there who do, they are called the military warlords and the politicians who fund them.

Here in England it happens to be with our money, so if i am naive because i disagree with my money being used to make ammunition or being used to fund these materials to be sent to countries where I know damn well the innocent people there will be the last people to see the bulletproof material, then so be it, I am naive and damn proud of it.

• Like 1

Hmm, naive cos i know its not being made for the likes of you and me or all those innocent people being killed in areas like the middle east.

Do you use a gun on someone if they disagrees with your ideas? do you throw a bomb through you neighbours window if they upset you? I know i don`t, but there are some out there who do, they are called the military warlords and the politicians who fund them.

Here in England it happens to be with our money, so if i am naive because i disagree with my money being used to make ammunition or being used to fund these materials to be sent to countries where I know damn well the innocent people there will be the last people to see the bulletproof material, then so be it, I am naive and damn proud of it.

You bring up an interesting narrative. Bombs are banned. Bomb making materials are regulated ... most anyways. Hows that working? Bombs still go off in this country. Banning doesn't work. Education for firearms such as hunter safety, conceal carry classes and the likes provide more responsible use. I highly recommend them. Hunter safety is great for teaching responsible handling and use in youths. Don't blame a bullet for the actions of a man.

• Like 4

All the people I know who have passed over were killed by drugs/booze, accidents, suicide, wild animals, cigarettes, and the biggest killer CANCERS, only one person I know has died by a gun and he shot himself, its not the guns or knifes or bombs its the people using them who are the real danger. :gun:
  • Like 1

All the people I know who have passed over were killed by drugs/booze, accidents, suicide, wild animals, cigarettes, and the biggest killer CANCERS, only one person I know has died by a gun and he shot himself, its not the guns or knifes or bombs its the people using them who are the real danger. :gun:

well ain`t you the lucky one!!!

and the biggest users of guns and bombs are the military, you pay for that and so do I....not something I voted for.

Edited by freetoroam

Why have they broadcast this info to the world, is it so everyone including the "baddies" can buy it ?.