Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Atheist tactics in Calif

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
94 replies to this topic

#1    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

As a non-believer, I'm often surprised by the actions of others like me.  Here's one such example:
http://www.foxnews.c...go-to-court-to/

If Christians want to legally put displays for Christmas, who cares?  It's like someone taking me to court for putting my Halloween decorations of witches, ghosts, and zombies outside my home (or Easter bunny decorations for that matter).  It's just for fun and playing pretend for many.  Taking an activist position against someone showing their beliefs sounds intolerant and anti-atheist if you ask me.  We're not supposed to care, right?

Edited by ranrod, 18 November 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#2    voidla

voidla

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Because it isn't a Christmas scene they want. It's a nativity scene they want.

Christmas is decoration of trees, lights, and gifts. If a religious person wants their holy figures on display, do it in your own home.

Everything and nothing is impossible.

It makes sense both are what makes each other.

#3    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

I agree with voidla. This nativity scene is in a park, where the separation of church and state should apply.

Posted Image

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,422 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Personally I think picking on something like this is a wast of time.  Christmas, although there may be presents and decorated trees, it is a symbol of the birth of Christ.

#5    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,731 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

If Churches want to display nativities scenes, can't they do it on their own property.  Why do they have to use public property?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#6    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,731 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

View PostHilander, on 18 November 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

Personally I think picking on something like this is a wast of time.  Christmas, although there may be presents and decorated trees, it is a symbol of the birth of Christ.

My Jehovah Witness neighbor calls it a Pagan holiday and she is right. The Christmas was put on the 25 of Dec, because there was a Pagan holiday already being celebrated, not because Christ was born on that day. Blessed Solstice all.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,234 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

The church will be suing for  freedom of speech violation.
====================================================

can the church be sued for exactly the same reason ? After all, they have been doing the same thing to others for years.

Edited by freetoroam, 18 November 2012 - 08:26 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,234 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 18 November 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

My Jehovah Witness neighbor calls it a Pagan holiday and she is right. The Christmas was put on the 25 of Dec, because there was a Pagan holiday already being celebrated, not because Christ was born on that day. Blessed Solstice all.
Absolutely right!
And (halloween) Samhain and (Easter) Ostara and if i want to pedantic, (British summer time) the summer solstice and (British winter time) the winter solstice and a **** load of other things..........and the christians want to sue!!!!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#9    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

I'm an atheist but I wouldn't object to the display that is being planned, and Vix's stand next to it sounds perfectly reasonable too.

What I find objectionable and feel should be banned are depictions of the crucifixion in public places ...... and that would include inside churches too. (Probably some Halloween displays should be banned too ..... sorry ranrod!)

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#10    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,673 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

The state cannot make any endorsement of any religion. End of story. Christ has to obey the same laws that Odin, Zeus, Mithra, Ra, etc, do.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#11    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,234 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 18 November 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

I'm an atheist but I wouldn't object to the display that is being planned, and Vix's stand next to it sounds perfectly reasonable too.

What I find objectionable and feel should be banned are depictions of the crucifixion in public places ...... and that would include inside churches too. (Probably some Halloween displays should be banned too ..... sorry ranrod!)
I agree, I also have no qualms against a few decorations here and there, brightens the place up.

#12    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 18 November 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

The state cannot make any endorsement of any religion. End of story. Christ has to obey the same laws that Odin, Zeus, Mithra, Ra, etc, do.
That's not what's happening though.  The city of Santa Monica allows anyone to buy space for Holiday decorations.  Christians took some space for their nativity scene.  Atheists were also able to buy space.  It's fair.

As non-believers we see what they're doing akin to believing in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy.  Why would we get offended by that?

#13    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 18 November 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

some Halloween displays should be banned too ..... sorry ranrod!)
I actually agree that some Halloween decorations are going over-the-top.  When I was little were evil pumpkins, witches, frankenstein, ghosts, etc, but there no depictions of decapitations, torture, dismemberment, humans skinned alive, etc.  I think that kind of stuff has to stop.

#14    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,537 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

I think the best solution to this is saying "yes you can have your nativity scene, however we will be getting in historians and other experts to ensure scientific and historical accuracy" and not allowing the display until it's representative of the closest historical approximation to what the scene would have been in the Dung Ages.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#15    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,673 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

View Postranrod, on 18 November 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

That's not what's happening though.  The city of Santa Monica allows anyone to buy space for Holiday decorations.  Christians took some space for their nativity scene.  Atheists were also able to buy space.  It's fair.

As non-believers we see what they're doing akin to believing in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy.  Why would we get offended by that?

The problem seems to be, from that article, that Atheists bought space as well and so this year, rather than have both, the city has decided to have none. The churches are the ones that are all butt hurt here, not the Atheists. If the city is going to allow any religious display, then they have to allow ALL religious displays, otherwise they are endorsing one over another, which the constitution prohibits. And of course faux news tries to make it the atheist's fault for freely expressing their beliefs as well.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users