Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Mystery of the Pointy S

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16    MistyW

MistyW

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:00 AM

I think it's just a little symbol that happens to get spread around, like Kilroy. And they can get addicting to draw sometimes.

#17    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:04 AM

_Only, on 19 November 2012 - 12:41 AM, said:

I was thinking the same thing about another early '90's thing. All us kids across the U.S. had our NES. And we all passed along the wisdom to each other that blowing in the cartridge would somehow get the game to work. I would visit cousins and friends, and be surprised that they knew the same technique.
yes it was common knowledge here too that when your connection was crappy you blew into the end of the cartridge. always worked

Edited by JGirl, 20 November 2012 - 02:05 AM.

#18    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,251 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

JGirl, on 20 November 2012 - 02:04 AM, said:

yes it was common knowledge here too that when your connection was crappy you blew into the end of the cartridge. always worked
And that has been shown to be an urban myth.  It turns out that the connection wasn't great between the cartridge and console wasn't great so simply removing and reattaching the cartridge sometimes would make a better connection.  Blowing into the cartridge actually made no difference.  It was the act of removing and reattaching the cartridge that worked.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#19    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Archimedes, on 20 November 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

And that has been shown to be an urban myth.  It turns out that the connection wasn't great between the cartridge and console wasn't great so simply removing and reattaching the cartridge sometimes would make a better connection.  Blowing into the cartridge actually made no difference.  It was the act of removing and reattaching the cartridge that worked.
yikes you have crushed my delusion omg!!

#20    _Only

_Only

• 6,670 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

I had found the real solution to getting the games to run, which was to insert the game in partially, and push it down with the force of a thousand Suns into the NES, waiting to hear a magic snap sound that would tell me I did it correctly. This I'm sure made the cartridge to system connection degrade immensely, but nevertheless, it got my Bart vs. The World playable. And that's all that mattered.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#21    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

I use to draw these all the time in high school I had a whole notebook full of graffiti stuff I drew and colored ( usually during math class )

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#22    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

R4z3rsPar4d0x, on 21 November 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

I use to draw these all the time in high school I had a whole notebook full of graffiti stuff I drew and colored ( usually during math class )

But Why?  Why did you draw them?  What does it or what did it symbolize to you?  And who taught it to you?

That is the mystery!!!!

#23    Keymaker

Keymaker

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 130 posts

• Great Artists Have No Country

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

Me and my friends used to "do graffiti" in school and this was shown to us by a "cooler" kid. At the time we thought it was the best piece of lettering in the known universe.

"The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials." - Confucius

#24    *Frank*

*Frank*

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

• Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

I always assumed it was the Suzuki symbol.

There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

#25    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:26 AM

tapirmusic, on 20 November 2012 - 12:44 AM, said:

But what exactly are the origins?  Researching this online, it seems like it is found on every continent in the world, always somewhere in middle-school or early high-school.  A few people claim to have seen these as far back as the 1950's.  It's kind of weird that so many different people in different times and places all seem to doodle the same thing with no knowledge of what is is or represents....

Is there a mystery here?  Or am I just looking too far into it?

It just means the Dutch railroads and trains are great:

Posted Image

https://www.google.n...yLOan0AXDxoHYCg

Edited by Abramelin, 30 November 2012 - 05:29 AM.

#26    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Abramelin, on 30 November 2012 - 05:26 AM, said:

It just means the Dutch railroads and trains are great:

Posted Image

https://www.google.n...yLOan0AXDxoHYCg

Posted Image

#27    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,360 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

I used to draw this too.

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#28    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

tapirmusic, on 23 November 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

But Why?  Why did you draw them?  What does it or what did it symbolize to you?  And who taught it to you?

That is the mystery!!!!
I cant remember who taught it to me, I think one of my cousins.  It didnt mean anything to me I just loved to draw and I would spell out words with it.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#29    WillowWolf

WillowWolf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

• "Destiny is not within the hands of the stars, but within the hands of man."

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:19 AM

Oh that's easy. At my middle school we use it to represent the MSU football team. Everybody uses it XD, not sure what it means elsewhere, but that's how I've always known it.

- "The greatest gift ever given to the likes of man, is the gift of free-will. If you choose to use it for evil. That's your own fault."
- "Magick is real, to all who open their eyes to it."
- To all of my fellow human beings of this Earth...
Merry meet, and merry part, and merry meet again!
~Blessed be

#30    fatbadger2

fatbadger2

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

• you cant kill the metal, the metal will live on....

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

My local skate store still carries stussy stuff. It's basically high end skate/surf wear. £50 for a hat, £100 for a hoodie that kind of ball park but I've never been that S on any of their gear. We drew it at school too. We always tried to design graffiti tags with an S in them so we could use it.

Now don't get me wrong I love what you've done with the place, I just wish we had a chance to help build it, instead of just moving into this home of disrepair and expected to work,prosper and then care - enter shakari-juggernauts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users