Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cave stalactites yield clues to sea-levels

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,366 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

New Scientist said:

Stalactites in a cave near the Red Sea are helping climatologists refine their predictions of sea level rise – and it looks as if previous estimates were dead on.

Sea level rise is one of the most harmful consequences of climate change, and its effects are already being felt in coastal cities like New YorkPosted Image.

Historic changes in sea level can indicate how it will change in future. Most of our sea-level records are based on the chemical makeup of sediment cores, which are hard to date ‐ estimates can be thousands of years out. As a result, it is unclear how soon sea level started rising after Earth warmed in prehistoric times, how quickly it rose and what we can expect in the future.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users