Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - - 1 votes

How much does religious exemptions cost us?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

Do churches get extra benefits that other non-profit organizations don't get?

#17    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,797 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

View PostCommunitarianKevin, on 20 November 2012 - 05:38 AM, said:

I have always found it odd that an all-powerful God needs people to donate money...
The (alledged) all-powerful god does not need anything, its the men he employs who are greedy.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#18    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,171 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

scowl

Do churches get extra benefits that other non-profit organizations don't get?

Yes, they have very little in the way of federally required financial reporting requirements,  compared with other categories of charitable organizations. You can see where that might come in handy.

Apart from that, much of the regulation of charities and fund raising is done at the state level. My impression is that churches may get regulatory breaks from them, too, but it's a state-by-state thing.

Posted Image

#19    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,708 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

If churches were actually run like they were supposed to be: to help the less fortunate, then yes, they should be tax exempt.  But, when the pastors have big fancy houses and there are peopke starving on the street...well, tac the crap out if all churches....especially Scientology!

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#20    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

View Posteight bits, on 21 November 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Yes, they have very little in the way of federally required financial reporting requirements,  compared with other categories of charitable organizations. You can see where that might come in handy.

So if my non-profit business is declared a church, what numbers don't I have to report to the government? I pretty much have to report every dime including a yearly justification of how my business benefits the community (which can be very vague). To make my state happy I have to have a board (meaning someone else) and a yearly public meeting. Some organizations aren't following these laws and nothing happens to them.

#21    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

View PostMagicjax, on 19 November 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

I stumbled upon the above page and it got me thinking. With all the political talk lately about the nations budget during the election. I wonder how much more money would be in the budget if churches and religious organizations didn't receive tax exemptions.

Where would I find the real numbers?  Not the opinions. The real numbers. Any suggestions on where to find this information accurately?

Thanks.

If a church abuses the privilagte afforded them, then yes they should lose it.  If they stay within the law, no, they should be exempt.  It is religious groups who do most of the charity work in our country.

doug

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#22    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,171 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

scowl

What I recommend is that you look at IRS form 1828

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf

As tax publications go, it's not too horribly written. It outlines the special tax circumstances of churches and religious organizations. Note that a "church" is a special kind of religious organization. Both get goodies, churches get more goodies.

Whether you can reorganize your existing organization into either category is why God made lawyers. Now, if I only could figure why he made mosquitoes.

Posted Image

#23    Magicjax

Magicjax

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

View Posteight bits, on 23 November 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

Now, if I only could figure why he made mosquitoes.

She wondered that too. So she called and asked god. You reminded me of this so thought if share. :)

Man in suit!

Posted Image

#24    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 21 November 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

The (alledged) all-powerful god does not need anything, its the men he employs who are greedy.

Wow, real intelligent....not.

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#25    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,797 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

Posted Imagefreetoroam, on 21 November 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

View Postdougeaton, on 23 November 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

Wow, real intelligent....not.

I am just stating what I have been told, apparently many of these cult followers say they work for god.
I know the good work many do, but i also know many are corrupt, hence greedy.
if someone is doing their best to help others, i do not see the relevance in what religion they follow, you should be  doing it out of the goodness of your heart and your kindness towards your fellow man.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#26    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 24 November 2012 - 03:11 AM, said:

Posted Imagefreetoroam, on 21 November 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

I am just stating what I have been told, apparently many of these cult followers say they work for god.
I know the good work many do, but i also know many are corrupt, hence greedy.
if someone is doing their best to help others, i do not see the relevance in what religion they follow, you should be  doing it out of the goodness of your heart and your kindness towards your fellow man.

I think there sincerity can be measured by the depth of a string.

Drunk with blood..
Dangerous cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users