Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Tasmanian Devils to Get Their Own Island

tasmanian devils maria island nature sanctuary marsupials

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,027 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

A group of Tasmanian devils will be transferred to a small Australian island to start what is hoped will be a self-sustaining population, free from the facial tumor that has devastated their species.

Tasmania's Environment Minister Brian Wightman said 14 of the marsupials, carefully selected from captive breeding programs across Australia, would be released Thursday on Maria Island, a nature sanctuary off the state's east coast.

http://news.discover...#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Posted Image

#2    LiveForTomorrow

LiveForTomorrow

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

That tumor thing is tragic and scary at the same time.  Feel like things like this are going to start happening more often to other animals.  I wouldnt be surprised if cancer is 50/50 now a days for humans.

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,790 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

I thought they already had an island. Tasmania? :P

Seriously, though, I hope things work out for these lil buggers. They are cute in their own maniacal way.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,149 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

I hope this works, would hate to see yet another species disappear.

#5    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Makes sense, a whole island for these animals while there are millions of people without a home...

#6    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,790 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

People can do something about their homelessness. Animals cannot do anything to defend against this disease that could wipe them out.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users