Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Queen celebrates her 65th wedding anniversary

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh celebrate their Blue Sapphire wedding anniversary on Tuesday. It is a landmark which no other British monarch has achieved, and one which may never be surpassed.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will today celebrate their 65th wedding anniversary as Her Majesty notches up yet another landmark in her Diamond Jubilee year.

http://www.telegraph...nniversary.html

Edited by Saru, 20 November 2012 - 04:20 PM.
Trimmed for length

#2    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,553 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

excellent. they've been through a lot together and in the public spot light too boot. congratulations to the pair of them.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#3    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,950 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Good for them

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#4    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,027 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

*sings* Happy Anniversary to you......All the best to both of them :tu:

Posted Image

#5    CuriousGreek

CuriousGreek

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• Dang!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Wishing them to continue celebrating their wedding's anniversary for many years to come ;)

Αν ανάμεσα σ’ όλον τον κόσμο,
νιώθεις πως δεν υπάρχουνε λύσεις,
τότε μόνο δυο μάτια μπορούνε,
να σε κάνουν να θέλεις να ζήσεις.

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,293 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

From the headline on could deduce that Prince Philip is not celebrating...

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,800 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

IMO Her Maj earned every penny of her wages having to sit through hours of that c**p on the Royal Variety thingy last night! Rather her than me!!!!!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#8    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Wow 65 years with the same old fart.

On a more serious note not too many marriages survive that long.  Happy Anniversary and hopefully many more.

#9    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,032 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Why isn't the Duke, King of England?

#10    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

View PostOverSword, on 20 November 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

Why isn't the Duke, King of England?

King out ranks Queen, So because Elizebeth was born into the royal family and became Queen she outranks Philip who married into the family.

If Philip was born in the royal fmaily he would be kind, then if he married Elizebeth (if she wasn't royal blood, then she would still be Queen) It's jsut to do with blood line and rank.

You can never be the king unless you are blood.

I can't stand it all to be honest. As a couple I congratulate them. But nothing more than that. I dislike the idea of the royal family and think that some things should be left in the medieval times. Before soemone mentiones tradition, then stoning, hanging and many other barbaric things where "tradition". I know they are different, but the whole idea of a royal family in this day and age i find disturbing. Isn't eqaulity supposed to be improtant in modern times?

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#11    smurf0852

smurf0852

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

seriously who gives a rodents rectum.the country has no joy no hope people are useng food banks to survive,kids are going to soup kitchens so they dont go to school hungry who the hell cares about this .anyone who does lives in a bubble that hasnt burst yet but trust me its coming in all its blood spilling house burning "glory".get a ******* grip

#12    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

View PostHilander, on 20 November 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

Wow 65 years with the same old fart.

On a more serious note not too many marriages survive that long.  Happy Anniversary and hopefully many more.

He hasn't always been old.

View Postsmurf0852, on 21 November 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

seriously who gives a rodents rectum.

Several people on this thread do.

#13    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostCoffey, on 20 November 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

King out ranks Queen, So because Elizebeth was born into the royal family and became Queen she outranks Philip who married into the family.

Yeah.  King outranks Queen and the spouse of a Sovereign obviously cannot take a title that outranks the Sovereign.  So this means that the wife of a king can be known as "queen consort" (queen for short) because Queen is lower than King, but the husband of a Queen cannot be known as "king consort" because he would therefore have a title which outranks that of the Sovereign, and it is consitutionally impossible for anyone to outrank the Sovereign.  So, instead, he is given the title "prince consort".

The same thing applies to other titles.  The wife of an OBE can become a Dame whereas the husband of a DBE will not become a 'Sir' as a knight outranks a dame.

Elizabeth II is a proper Queen; the Monarch; the Sovereign; the Head of State.  She is a Queen Regnant.

The wife of a King, however, is only a Queen Consort and even though she has the title "Queen" she is not an actual Queen in her own right and does not have the powers of a Queen Regnant or King.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 22 November 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#14    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,027 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

View Postsmurf0852, on 21 November 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

seriously who gives a rodents rectum.the country has no joy no hope people are useng food banks to survive,kids are going to soup kitchens so they dont go to school hungry who the hell cares about this .anyone who does lives in a bubble that hasnt burst yet but trust me its coming in all its blood spilling house burning "glory".get a ******* grip
Or it could just be that with all the doom and gloom going on in the world, their wedding anniversary is a pleasant distraction.

Judging people and name calling is uncalled for on the basis you don't share the same point of view. Just because you don't give a toss about their anniversary it doesn't mean others shouldn't.

Neither does it mean we don't care about anything else you've pointed out in your post either.

Posted Image

#15    smurf0852

smurf0852

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 22 November 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

Yeah.  King outranks Queen and the spouse of a Sovereign obviously cannot take a title that outranks the Sovereign.  So this means that the wife of a king can be known as "queen consort" (queen for short) because Queen is lower than King, but the husband of a Queen cannot be known as "king consort" because he would therefore have a title which outranks that of the Sovereign, and it is consitutionally impossible for anyone to outrank the Sovereign.  So, instead, he is given the title "prince consort".

The same thing applies to other titles.  The wife of an OBE can become a Dame whereas the husband of a DBE will not become a 'Sir' as a knight outranks a dame.

Elizabeth II is a proper Queen; the Monarch; the Sovereign; the Head of State.  She is a Queen Regnant.

The wife of a King, however, is only a Queen Consort and even though she has the title "Queen" she is not an actual Queen in her own right and does not have the powers of a Queen Regnant or King.
oh my god this is the 21st century all this stupidity should be put to bed .no human is better then another because of a bloodline and respect is earned not a birthright.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users