Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Sars-like virus May be 'bat bug'

sars-like virus bats bug

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,757 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Bats may be the source of a new Sars-like virus which killed a man in Saudi Arabia, according to an analysis of the coronavirus' genome.

Two other people have been infected and one, who was flown to the UK for treatment in September, is still in intensive care.

Experts, writing in the journal mBio, said the virus was closely related to other viruses in bats.

It is thought the virus does not pass readily from one person to another.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-20392050

Posted Image

#2    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

gimcrack

• 10,396 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

YAY! Let's kill all the bats ..... they've been out of the spotlight for some time while the badgers have been getting it in the neck ....... :hmm:

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,674 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Bat population is down and getting lower.  I hope people don't start killing them.

#4    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Bats eat mosquitoes which carry plagues, but but can themselves carry rabies, possibly the deadliest virus known to mankind (when untreated), as well as ebola, and apparently SARS as well now.  Hmmm. :hmm:

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#5    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,382 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:33 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 20 November 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

Bats may be the source of a new Sars-like virus which killed a man in Saudi Arabia, according to an analysis of the coronavirus' genome.

Two other people have been infected and one, who was flown to the UK for treatment in September, is still in intensive care.

Experts, writing in the journal mBio, said the virus was closely related to other viruses in bats.

It is thought the virus does not pass readily from one person to another.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-20392050

The good thing about coronaviruses is even if they do spread from person to person they usually respond well to quarantine because the infectious period is almost always concurrent with the symptomatic period.

#6    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,382 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:46 AM

View PostCybele, on 20 November 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

Bats eat mosquitoes which carry plagues, but but can themselves carry rabies, possibly the deadliest virus known to mankind (when untreated), as well as ebola, and apparently SARS as well now.  Hmmm. :hmm:

Nothing is like rabies on the deadly scale, not even ebola.  The highest mortality rate ever reported for an ebola epidemic was 90%, but it is usually more in the high 50% range.  Rabies has a 100% mortality rate, but without the epidemic.  I still think smallpox was probably the scariest as far as epidemics go because the mortality rate is nothing to scoff at, the disease is horrible, and the rate of spread was off the charts.

#7    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

Bats DO NOT carry rabies .
It's about as common as a dog with rabies. As in,yes some can get it,it is not wide spread or epidemic by any means,in bats .

http://www.batconser...rupal/bat-myths

Bats are AWESOME .
And as,always ,this entire story sounds ridiculous and like fear mongering against animals ,perpetuated by who knows who.

Two cases,is a far cry from anything to be concerned about .
This is all ANIMALS WILL KILL US WITH DISEASES ,propaganda .

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 21 November 2012 - 01:58 AM.

Miss me?

#8    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

Oh Man,lol. I thought this was something about Batman,Maybe staying up for a week is playing tricks on me. :sleepy: :wacko: :blink:

#9    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,382 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 21 November 2012 - 01:55 AM, said:

Bats DO NOT carry rabies .
It's about as common as a dog with rabies. As in,yes some can get it,it is not wide spread or epidemic by any means,in bats .

http://www.batconser...rupal/bat-myths

Bats are AWESOME .
And as,always ,this entire story sounds ridiculous and like fear mongering against animals ,perpetuated by who knows who.

Two cases,is a far cry from anything to be concerned about .
This is all ANIMALS WILL KILL US WITH DISEASES ,propaganda .

Rabies is a disease of mammals and any mammal could potentially have it, but in the US most people do contract rabies from bats.

#10    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

View PostFurthurBB, on 21 November 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

Rabies is a disease of mammals and any mammal could potentially have it, but in the US most people do contract rabies from bats.
About 1% of bats carry rabies. Raccoons have a higher incidence .
And by the by ,cats carry the corona virus .It's harmless in its initial form ,and they just carry it . If it mutates,they get FIP .Certain vaccines precipitate conversion of the virus . It's why most feline vaccines are dangerous .Not all ,but many will cause corona virus conversion .

Big cats get it too.It can convert on its own,usually in the presence of toxins .Bug sprays ,other toxic materials . FIP is 100% fatal .There has never been a cat to human transmission ,but I'm sure some idiot in a lab coat will claim its occurred ,sooner or later .
I have heard of FIP being cured with homeopathy ,but only under 24 hour supervision ,which is usually not possible .

Miss me?

Also tagged with sars-like virus, bats, bug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users