Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Mars discovery "one for the history books"

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 6,477 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

NASA's Mars rover Curiosity has apparently made a discovery "for the history books," but we'll have to wait a few weeks to find out what the new Red Planet find may be, media reports suggest.

The discovery was made by Curiosity's Sample Analysis at Mars instrument, NPR reported Tuesday. SAM is the rover's onboard chemistry lab, and it's capable of identifying organic compounds — the carbon-containing building blocks of life as we know it.

SAM apparently spotted something interesting in a soil sample Curiosity's huge robotic arm delivered to the instrument recently.

"This data is gonna be one for the history books," Curiosity chief scientist John Grotzinger, of Caltech in Pasadena, told NPR. "It's looking really good."
Link

I wonder if they found organics? Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Keep up the good work, little buddy!

Posted Image

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 20 November 2012 - 07:46 PM.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#2    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,915 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

Fascinating. Can't wait for the results!

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,175 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

I will be looking forward to reading the results of the tests.  Oh to be that little robot running around on Mars.

Edited by Hilander, 20 November 2012 - 08:08 PM.

#4    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Interesting, I look forward to reading more. On a tangent, I always dislike news stories that are best summed as 'there's news! Just not yet!'

Posted Image

~MEH~

#5    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,492 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

Now this is interesting, I look forward to hearing more.

#6    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

They knew too much about flying saucers!

• 27,555 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

You just know it'll turn out to be a disappointment, don't you. These things always are. Of course they'll keep secret about the ancient alien cities.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#7    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 15,319 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

I don't see why they have to tease us.  At least say what you think you've got.

#8    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Is the answer here yet, is the answer here yet, is the answer here yet, sorry I'm like a big kid at times. :yes:

#9    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 13,107 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

I'd love it to be water.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#10    sean6

sean6

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Mars Mystery: What HAS Curiosity Discovered?

Science isn't something that just happens overnight. It takes many measurements, oodles of analysis, re-testing and re-analysis before any groundbreaking announcement can be made.
So, on the surface of Mars, inside Gale Crater on a plain called Aeolis Palus, our tenacious six-wheeled Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) is doing cutting-edge laboratory work on an alien world and mission scientists are itching to announce a "historic" discovery.
"This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," John Grotzinger, lead scientist of the MSL mission, said in an interview with NPR.
But what is he referring to and why all the secrecy?

http://news.discover...red-121120.html

http://www.space.com...ry-mystery.html

#11    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 6,477 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

I want this to be full blown alien bacteria that they found. Full blown Mars AIDS.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#12    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,196 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

View Postsean6, on 20 November 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

But what is he referring to and why all the secrecy?        

What secrecy? They have announced they have found something and they are going to tell the world what it is at a press conference. This is the standard way of doing things. Announcing to the world something at a press conference is a pretty strange way of keeping it secret I would think.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#13    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

At least when someone from NASA says something like this, I can believe that they will follow through with it, eventually tell what they've discovered, and that it will be worth hearing. If they have already ascertained that the data is 'one for the history books' further delay does seem puzzling. Perhaps whatever it is they've found is important enough to require consultation with the political hierarchy first, before they let it out. Perhaps the President will comment on it, as Bill Clinton did when they thought they'd found fossil microbes in an Antarctic meteorite that originated on Mars. I'm wondering if the discovery of organic material on Mars would justify the 'history books' remark. I doubt that this is what is being referred to, though. The chemistry of Martian soil seems able to destroy organic matter very rapidly

#14    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,196 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 20 November 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

I want this to be full blown alien bacteria that they found. Full blown Mars AIDS.
You do know that AIDS is a disease and not a bacteria don't you? You do also know that it is a viral disease and not a bacteriological one?

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#15    tipotep

tipotep

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

• Muchos Spectacular

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 20 November 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

What secrecy? They have announced they have found something and they are going to tell the world what it is at a press conference. This is the standard way of doing things. Announcing to the world something at a press conference is a pretty strange way of keeping it secret I would think.
Into em Waspie :tu:

My guess it will be organic , either way It must be something pretty important , holding breath .

Tip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users