Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK Households may have to pay up to £125 p.a.

Karlis

Households may have to pay up to £125 per year to cover the cost of “green” home improvements for the poorest customers under Coalition plans, energy companies have warned.

Industry sources said the cost of a new green scheme has been underestimated by up to £1.8 billion per year by Whitehall officials.

The new policy, called the Energy Company Obligation, will begin to hit households next year at a time when rising gas prices have already pushed the average bill above £1,335 annually.

Read more

Edited by Karlis

I am all for us trying to waste less and develop better forms of energy, at the end of the day though there is simply no more gas money that can be squeezed out of my budget. If it keeps going up in price as fast as it has over the last few years I can assure I wont be wasting any... but I will be investing in more sweaters.

My electric company here in the States have offered incentives and help for years to improve our energy conservation. My improvements pay me every month at about $50 off my electric bill. In 4 years that will cover the cost of what I paid for the new air conditioner.

I agree incentives to improve how energy efficient you are are a great idea. The part that concerns me is a blanket increase to gas prices.

I love the phrase "energy companies have warned", like these poor Energy companies, perhaps the most parasitical industry of all (they don't produce the Energy themselves, of course, they buy it from someone else, and just sell it to the customer at enormous profit to themselves) just want to look after their customers and avoid them having to pay any more than they absolutely have to.

What they're acvtually Angry about, of course, is that any extra that Consumers might have to pay wouldn't be going to them.

• Like 3