Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Jesus was born years earlier than thought

pope jesus dionysius exiguus

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#46    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

View PostLion6969, on 24 November 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

You keep telling yourself that mate ;)

Cosmological thread? Dude you had nothing to stand on in that thread nor this one.

I did not take anything out of context pal, I enjoy debating with stubborn people, shock and awe works better on them :)

You said assuming Jesus existed, indirectly saying the OP assumed he existed and that his existence is questionable.....how did I take U out of context? I put you straight, showing your whole argument is based on the notion of missing empirical proof, when you figured that's all you have, abscense of proof! That negates nothing does it?
The existence is questionable, yes (which is what I have been saying all along)... but the manner in which you addressed my statement indicates that you implied that I said that Jesus did not exist.

And there nothing shocking or awesome about your petty games that you play. Even in your profile I noticed a user or making reference to the notion that you tend to take things out of context, so I am not on my own in this claim. :tu:

As for whether or not this case would pass in a court of law, it would not - physical evidence would still be required, as it is required in all cases. 25 people can say that they saw the same man committing a murder, but unless they have physical evidence to reinforce this, nothing can be done. Decisions in court are not based solely on oral report. They add substance, of course; but without physical evidence, no decision will be made. It will be left in question, just like Jesus' existence.

We don't live in the 1700s anymore...

Edited by Alienated Being, 24 November 2012 - 01:46 AM.

#47    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

You know what alien you don't even what testimony in court is, if you have witnesses then why take their account if a verdict can only be made on empirical evidential basis. So if you stole my car, 10 people see you do it, you think it won't stand in a court of law? You kidding yourself dude just like always your in denial, and you still ain't proven any hollow claim, where have I taken you out of context, just because I am susceptible like most people, does not mean I took you out of context, does it?

Secondly I think there is very little say on the matter now, surely people can judge for themselves whether you stand in a correct position or whether I do, it's abundantly clear to people that there is simply more proof for the mans existence than relying on your stubborn foundation of abscense of empirical proof!

I don't think I have more to add to the topic besides going into actual quotation of literature from antiquity!

The fact you think Jesus existence is questionable put you in the fringe as most historian of antiquity don't even debate this notion. Lol

#48    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:41 AM

actually not even worth it

Edited by Jinxdom, 24 November 2012 - 03:43 AM.

#49    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

View PostHilander, on 23 November 2012 - 12:41 AM, said:

I believe Jesus was a real man and it doesn't surprise me they got his birthday wrong.  We celebrate his birth every year on the wrong day.  Considering the bible was written years after the fact I bet part of that is wrong.  Most holly books were written to control.  I also don't think we should literally be following them.  I'm not saying don't be religious, I am but not blindly so but some things that may of been right or accepted in that time isn't today.  Fortunately most of us have grown up.

I did some research at a local geneology research center on my family history. They had my father's birthday wrong.
He was born in April instead of March like the geneology center had down on record. So to this day records will have errors in them.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much of it can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#50    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• 1,470 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

Jesus was a real person.but who knows if he was really the son of god.
He could have been just a preacher claiming to be the son of god.
Preachers say a lot of stuff thats fasle.

#51    Sormac

Sormac

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

lion6969 is 100÷ correct. Jesus was a real person. You are seriously and hopelessly debating uphill to prove otherwise. Those that argue against it aren't making definative claims or debating with relevant evidence.... Instead they are recklessly trying to cast doubt on oral/written tradition. Its quite funny because even secular, Roman, pagan, and Jewish historical documents from that time peroid confirm his existence... All these competing and contradicting interests agree Jesus exists for centuries. I suppose its easy for some random nobodies in the 21st century to cast doubt. Its even more hilariously to me that the vast majority of historians agree he existed, yet the argue keeps coming. Admit it, you wouldn't be sold if Jesus appeared in front of you and recapped his life.

#52    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 5,685 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

View Postcoolguy, on 24 November 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

Jesus was a real person.but who knows if he was really the son of god.
He could have been just a preacher claiming to be the son of god.
Preachers say a lot of stuff thats fasle.
yehōshu‘a (Joshua), aka Jesus I believe was a real person, he may have been their equivalent to our Darren Brown, but obviously not as advanced.
But now we have the pope claiming the dates are wrong, we could well be looking at someone completely different,
The name Yehoshu was a very common name so chances are we the christians were following the wrong one.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#53    dalekeniry

dalekeniry

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

Its pretty sad when the Bible doesn't even know when Jesus was born. Its all just a way for the select few to have power over others.

#54    pj bandit

pj bandit

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 66 posts

• lets start changing the world

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

jeez lion let people have an opinion you melter

'there's a turd in the punch bowl, i repeat, there is a turd in the punch bowl'

#55    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Whenever an article is posted that relates to Christianity there are about a half dozen folks that arrive for the sole purpose of bashing religion and or saying Jesus didnt exist etc....
Am i the only one who finds this annoying?
Seems to me that any person with some degree of tolerance would just ignore the article and move on to something else.
I came in to read about the popes thoughts on the birth and all i get is, "He didnt exist" etc...
Maybe he didnt, but does that mean that you need to come in and hijack the thread?
It would be a lot better if people could visit a thread and either contribute to the discussion as it is presented or just move along.
Or start your own thread titled "Did Jesus exist" and then have a field day.

#56    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

View Postnotoverrated, on 23 November 2012 - 03:59 AM, said:

i never thought there was a debate on if he was real always thought it was whether or not he was a magical god baby.
Love the Avatar!
Made me think of the show Dinosaurs years ago when the T-rex was upset that he never got invited to go bowling. :clap:

#57    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,066 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

View PostCapt Amerika, on 04 January 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

Whenever an article is posted that relates to Christianity there are about a half dozen folks that arrive for the sole purpose of bashing religion and or saying Jesus didnt exist etc....
Am i the only one who finds this annoying?
Seems to me that any person with some degree of tolerance would just ignore the article and move on to something else.
I came in to read about the popes thoughts on the birth and all i get is, "He didnt exist" etc...
Maybe he didnt, but does that mean that you need to come in and hijack the thread?
It would be a lot better if people could visit a thread and either contribute to the discussion as it is presented or just move along.
Or start your own thread titled "Did Jesus exist" and then have a field day.

I do think that the bible has some truth to it and a lot of people it mentions did exist. In my opinion though I think the bible was embellished
somewhat. Example, when a hollywood movie comes out and it says in the credits Based On a True Story, The movie will have truth to it
but the writters have added scenes to it to make the movie more a appealing to the audience. If they didn't, the movie would be somewhat boring.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much of it can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#58    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostMag357, on 04 January 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

I do think that the bible has some truth to it and a lot of people it mentions did exist. In my opinion though I think the bible was embellished
somewhat. Example, when a hollywood movie comes out and it says in the credits Based On a True Story, The movie will have truth to it
but the writters have added scenes to it to make the movie more a appealing to the audience. If they didn't, the movie would be somewhat boring.

Agreed.
The bible was put together from a collection of books by man.
I'm not a complete gullible koolaid drinker, i believe a lot of whats in the bible is very likely true to an extent.
Too many examples in the bible cross over to other religions and books for there not to be some truths there.
I just wish those who believe they have the answers for everything would just learn some tolerance for things they cant prove.
This is why i never say bad things about non-believers, i dont have the answers.
But i am a firm believer of live and let live, i am not going to try to interject into anothers right to celebrate their religion even if it doesnt line up with my thoughts.
I just wish others across the country could learn to do the same.
Maybe someday we will get the proof we are looking for as to where we came from and how we originated with 100% certainty but i really doubt it.
I dont believe our minds are wired in a way that would allow us to comprehend something that vast.

#59    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

First of all, I really don't care what the Pope thinks. Second of all, it really doesn't matter when it happened, what matters is that it did.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#60    Jor-el

Jor-el

Knight of the Most High God

• 7,107 posts

• We are the sum of all that is, and has been. We will be the sum of our choices.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 23 November 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

It was said he was born at the time of a roman census.

http://en.wikipedia....us_of_Quirinius

Actually that is incorrect. The actual term used is not a census, but an enrollment or registration. Not for population purposes but part of an Empire wide oath of loyalty to Caesar Augustus when he was named Pater Patriae.

Such an enrollment and registration is historically documented as having happened in 2 B.C. There are a number of historical documents that cite said registration and are also proven archaeologically.

Posted Image

"Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake."

-C. S. Lewis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users