Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

What do you think of the Mokele Mbembe?

dinosaurs mokele mbembe cryptozoology cryptid congo

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 05 December 2012 - 05:37 AM, said:

my 9 inch copulation tool back in my pocket

Well...hellooo there, my Australian friend, you... :-*

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#32    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,824 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 05 December 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

Well...hellooo there, my Australian friend, you... :-*

I am pretty handy with my tools. :D

Posted Image

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#33    bulldogzrep

bulldogzrep

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:16 AM

I absolutely love Mokele Mbembe. My favourite cryptid. There is so much I can say as I've read Mackal's book, Nugents book and done heavy research on the cryptid but to keep it short, I believe there is something unusual in the Congo, but not a dinosaur. Sure it could look similar but I don't think it is. The region is heavily unexplored and obtaining evidence is not a simple walk in the park and snapshot with a camera. Firstly the region is highly unstable and obtaining the proper paperwork can take months. Secondly, the vast region makes it impossible to pinpoint an ideal location. The conditions in the jungle are also nearly impossible to bear. I wrote this very quickly but there is ore to it !

It aint about how hard ya hit, but how much you can take and keep moving forward...

#34    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

Not sure if mokele mbembe exists, but I certainly like the idea of something like that existing. Always felt cheated having knowledge of dinosaurs but never getting to see one.

Any body ever seen the movie Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend? One of my favorite movies as a kid and I had to pick it up when I saw the blu ray for $5 at a grocery store. Doesn't really hold up, but a steal for your cyrpto-collection at only $5 or less.

http://www.amazon.co...the lost legend

#35    CharlieCluster7

CharlieCluster7

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

• When you don't feel it, it shows, they tear out your soul. And when you believe, they call it rock n' roll.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Cryptomundo ran a pretty cool article on the possibility that Mokele Mbembe isnt a dinosaur at all but a mammal.

"In 1913, a German expedition in the Congo met a band of pygmies who described an animal they called mokele-mbembe, which means “one who stops the flow of rivers.” They said this beast was about the size of an elephant or hippopotamus, with a long, flexible neck and a long tail. This description would be repeated by numerous witnesses. Many would feel that the description was consistent with a sauropod or other small dinosaur.

As I and Patrick Huyghe noted in The Field Guide to Lake Monsters, Sea Serpents, and Other Mystery Denizens of the Deep, the existence of dinosaurs in central Africa is unlikely, but not a total scientific impossibility. According to cryptozoologist Karl Shuker, “If dinosaurs could exist unknown to science anywhere in the world, the Likouala is where they would be.”

But what if Mokele-mbembe aren’t dinosaurs?
Posted Image

Indricotherium, Baluchitherium, or Paraceratherium are names applied to the giant relatives of the rhino.
Discovery Channel has used all 3 names for programs. Walking with Prehistoric Beasts features Indricotherium as a solitary giant living in a relatively arid environment. While the PaleoWorld does a Paraceratherium program, which seems to be the name with priority. Recently, a program on a French expedition excavation in Pakistan uses Baluchitherium. There the environment was reconstructed as a lush jungle. The excavation is of what appears to be a herd that drowned crossing a river seems to indicate a social herd animal….
Indricotherium was the largest land mammal ever to live. This short-lived group of rhinoceros lived [during the Oligocene] in Central Asia and China. It was 27 ft long, as big as some of the extinct sauropods."
http://www.cryptomun...news/mammal-mm/

#36    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

What on earth would Oligocene mammals from Central and East Asia do in the Congo? We can't just point at similar-sounding animals from tens of thousands of kilometres and millions of years away and say we have a match.

#37    CharlieCluster7

CharlieCluster7

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

• When you don't feel it, it shows, they tear out your soul. And when you believe, they call it rock n' roll.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Its fun to speculate candidates.

1909 saw another mention of a Mokèlé-mbèmbé-like creature, in Beasts and Men, the autobiography of famed big-game hunter Carl Hagenbeck. He claimed to have heard from multiple independent sources about a creature living in the Congo region which was described as "half elephant, half dragon." Naturalist Joseph Menges had also told Hagenbeck about an animal alleged to live in Africa, described as "some kind of dinosaur, seemingly akin to the brontosaurs."
Posted Image

In 1960, an expedition to Zaire was planned by herpetologis James H. Powell Jr. scheduled for 1972, but was canceled by legal complications. By 1976, however, he had sorted out the international travel problems, and went to Gabon instead, inspired by the book Trader Horn.
On this journey, Powell located a claimed eyewitness to an animal called "n'yamala", or "jago-nini", which Powell thought was the same as the "amali" of Smith's 1920's books. Natives also stated – without Powell's asking - that "n'yamala" ate the flowering liana, just as von Stein had been told half a century earlier. When Powell showed illustrations of various animals, both alive and extinct, to natives, they generally suggested that the Diplodocus was the closest match to "n'yamala".
Posted Image

In November 2000, William Gibbons did some preliminary research in Cameroon for a future expedition. He was accompanied by David Wetzel, and videographer Elena Dugan. While visiting with a group of pygmies, they were informed about an animal called Ngoubou, a horned creature. The pygmies asserted it was not a regular rhinoceros, as it had more than one horn (six horns on the frill in one eyewitness account), and that the father of one of the senior members of the community had killed one with a spear a number of years ago. The locals have noted a firm dwindle in the population of these animals lately, and are hard to find. Gibbons identified the animal with a Styracosaurus, but, in addition to being extinct, these are only known to have inhabited North America.
Posted Image

Edited by CharlieCluster7, 13 January 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#38    shrooma

shrooma

.goddamn sexual tyrannosaur.

• 2,977 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:54 AM

Q-
A-
I think it would probably be nice in a stew.....
:-)

sometimes, your signature is worth nothing at all.

#39    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,065 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:19 AM

View Postshrooma, on 17 June 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

Q-
A-
I think it would probably be nice in a stew.....
:-)

Later, a victory feast was held, during which parts of the animal were cooked and eaten. However, those who participated in the feast eventually died, either from food poisoning or from natural causes.

http://en.wikipedia....be#1979:_Thomas

Bon appetit !! :P

#40    shrooma

shrooma

.goddamn sexual tyrannosaur.

• 2,977 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 17 June 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

Later, a victory feast was held, during which parts of the animal were cooked and eaten. However, those who participated in the feast eventually died, either from food poisoning or from natural causes.

http://en.wikipedia....be#1979:_Thomas

Bon appetit !! :P
ah.
erm.
maybe i'll stick to chicken vindaloo then Ab, thanks for the warning!

sometimes, your signature is worth nothing at all.

Also tagged with dinosaurs, mokele mbembe, cryptozoology, cryptid, congo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users