Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Knowing the mind of God

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#1    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,723 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

If there is a god, can a human actually say they know his mind?  Even using a so called sacred text, has the question of its origins and intent of author.

Edited by Darkwind, 23 November 2012 - 05:48 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#2    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

Knowing the mind of god? What do you actually mean? Cause we don't even know our own minds fully, nor if you were asked if you know my mind, would you? And how?

#3    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 9,723 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

People like to claim to know what their god is thinking and what he wants us to do and will point out whatever source they have such as Bible, Quran or other writings they think is form the hand of god. Isn't really ego to claim to know what are a god's intention is or which text is written by a god?

Edited by Darkwind, 23 November 2012 - 07:12 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#4    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,293 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

I don't even know if there is a god, let alone what it/she/he thinks. Anyway, is it reasonable to expect that we could come to know the sacred or divine only through the medium of language? Words represent an idea or experience, they are a description, but not the same as having the experience. Do you think maybe claiming to know the mind of god is a way of paring the concept down to something more human, and therefore more understandable? If that is the case, then it's a limiting concept, I think.

#5    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

stop twisting words lol no one claims to know the mind of god. they just claim to know what god expects of them. i think its egocentric for someone to think they understand christian beliefs with out having read the whole bible, you should either have the opinion thats its aload of rubbish and ignore it or have a learned opinion by reading the bible and knowing what your talking about.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#6    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,124 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

The good thing about inventing god is you can make up what he thinks about.

#7    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

And how many priests/politicians say "It is the will of God" before imposing their will on us, or doing something evil. Those people certainly seem to think they know what god thinks, and are not shy in telling us

#8    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 9,723 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 23 November 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

stop twisting words lol no one claims to know the mind of god. they just claim to know what god expects of them. i think its egocentric for someone to think they understand christian beliefs with out having read the whole bible, you should either have the opinion thats its aload of rubbish and ignore it or have a learned opinion by reading the bible and knowing what your talking about.

I have read the whole Bible a couple of times and I still don't get it. How do you or anyone know what god expects of you? How do you know you're reading the right book?

#9    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 23 November 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

I have read the whole Bible a couple of times and I still don't get it. How do you or anyone know what god expects of you? How do you know you're reading the right book?

My friends who are theist Chistians tell me it is love of self and others that is the central point.

doug

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#10    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,857 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

I don't think we can know the mind of God or his nature fully. If you are a Christian, listening to Jesus' word is probably the closest you will get. If you believe God's spirit resides in us, then I suppose following your conscience is probably a very good indicator.

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#11    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 23 November 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

And how many priests/politicians say "It is the will of God" before imposing their will on us, or doing something evil. Those people certainly seem to think they know what god thinks, and are not shy in telling us

Or use it as an excuse, which it is of course.

View PostStar of the Sea, on 23 November 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

I don't think we can know the mind of God or his nature fully. If you are a Christian, listening to Jesus' word is probably the closest you will get. If you believe God's spirit resides in us, then I suppose following your conscience is probably a very good indicator.

That is a sane answer.

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#12    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Absolutely NEVER!

But i know what he wants me to know & that is that he knows that i know that he knows. got it? :D good :P

Edited by C235, 23 November 2012 - 08:56 PM.

#13    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 9,723 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

View Postdougeaton, on 23 November 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

My friends who are theist Chistians tell me it is love of self and others that is the central point.

doug

But isn't that the point of most religions?  Love us self and others can come from reason, too. But there is a lot of other baggage with religions that have little to do with self  love and empathy. If it comes from a sacred book you believe is the word of god is that the word of a god, too? Oh dear, a conundrum.

Edited by Darkwind, 23 November 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#14    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,293 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 23 November 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

The question did ask if any human can know the mind of god and I shared my thoughts about it. Thank you for sharing what you believe my only two options to be. However, I have already made a choice to be conscious and aware enough so that when the divine/sacred reveals itself to me, I will recognize it for what it is, and give thanks for that experience. Some of us knuckleheads just bumble along that way, you know, trusting that the divine works in our lives in very personal ways.

#15    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 23 November 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

All the paths lead to one destination IF walked right to the very end. All confusions eventually fade & order finds its place. Do what you are doing & expect from yourself what you would of a person you want to be known to all. All theists & atheist are equal only the right men reach it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users